• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Limited Licenses Wings of Honneamise Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
What would be great would be a proper [re-]release of the soundtrack.

[Watched the movie on SBS television way back, eventually bought the Madman DVD release when it came out].

Last edited by omiya on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
Ah, Wings of the Honneamise, my favorite anime film. Maybe my favorite animated film of all time. I even have that obscenely expensive Blu-Ray/DVD set Honneamise put out.

I can guess which scene had been previously omitted in the UK release for that PG rating.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
Fantastic film. My favorite anime film also.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ah, Wings of the Honneamise, my favorite anime film. Maybe my favorite animated film of all time. I even have that obscenely expensive Blu-Ray/DVD set Honneamise put out.

I can guess which scene had been previously omitted in the UK release for that PG rating.

Ah Manga Video, I had the Italian VHS release of Wings of Honneamise and it used the Manga Video source. It was not censored, it included the attempted rape scene and it was rated the equivalent of PG Laughing . It was just the UK being the UK that got shafted.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I had the American VHS release back in the day (still think I have it somewhere) and that didn't omit any scenes, either.

Also, where's my Aoki Uru, Japan? Eh, maybe it's for the best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yeah, I had the American VHS release back in the day (still think I have it somewhere) and that didn't omit any scenes, either.

Also, where's my Aoki Uru, Japan? Eh, maybe it's for the best.

I've been keeping an eye on their Facebook page. Hope they really go through with it this time.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

I've been keeping an eye on their Facebook page. Hope they really go through with it this time.

I hope not. Wings of Honneamise is perfect as it is.
What's the sequel going to talk about ? Shiro's reentry and successive ticker tape parades ? Rolling Eyes Ah Gainax how about doing something new for a change ?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
Huh, I thought Sentai Filmworks had rights to the series and released it on DVD last year. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Huh, I thought Sentai Filmworks had rights to the series and released it on DVD last year. Confused

Does Sentai Filmworks publish in the EU ? I don't think so.
Hence why Anime limited licensed it. This is good news for the British as well as other Europeans that still haven't got a nice blu-ray/dvd edition of this film.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
Great film although it would have been interesting to see the aftermath of the spaceflight. It isn't even clear spoiler[if Shirotsugu actually survives the flight. And the rape attempt seems out of character and gratuitous.]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
This is kind of surprising since Discotek did a re-release on it early last year to this year. Now can we get a proper release for Gunbuster?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
This is kind of surprising since Discotek did a re-release on it early last year to this year. Now can we get a proper release for Gunbuster?

That would be music to my ears. I'm still happy with this news though. It's nice to see an older classic getting some attention. Makes said attention for Gunbuster and others of days gone by more of a possibility.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Ah Gainax how about doing something new for a change ?

I don't think Gainax has the capacity to really do anything at the moment that isn't handed down to them through a production committee. Most of their creative talent is gone and they haven't had a success in years.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Does Sentai Filmworks publish in the EU ? I don't think so.
Hence why Anime limited licensed it.

Sentai does have some UK licenses, like Angel Beats and Night Raid, which they sub-license to UK companies (the wider group also retains the UK rights to a number of titles originally released here by ADV UK - and a few they could have released here but never actually did).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
So hopefully this release will be uncensored? I think the scene would only make a 12 nowadays, a perfectly profitable rating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2