• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ikki Tousen: Xtreme Xecutor DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Trashy, violent, and sleazy; also stupid, pointless, and populated by people with the inner complexity of Labrador Retrievers.

That seems a bit insulting to Labrador Retrievers...
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Shame to read that the dub's voice actors don't see to be up to the performance, and that the subtitles didn't show much effort.

Quote:
The whole affair is flat and apathetic, though livened here and there by Cherami Leigh's Hakufu.

Do you mean Carrie Savage's Hakufu? Or Cherami's character, Bachou?
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Shame to read that the dub's voice actors don't see to be up to the performance, and that the subtitles didn't show much effort.

Quote:
The whole affair is flat and apathetic, though livened here and there by Cherami Leigh's Hakufu.

Do you mean Carrie Savage's Hakufu? Or Cherami's character, Bachou?

Maybe he means both of them, actresses and characters.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Though I don't like the Lab comment (Black Labs/mixes) because their my favorite animal (besides woman), it could be referring to the fact that many people might take fan service shows seriously because essentially T&A is their main purpose. Also, I don't think a person should exactly expect a fan service show's Eng. dub to be on the same level of a show like Bebop, FMA/FMA:B, AoT, etc.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I do like ikkitousen, but I just watched senran kagura, and I have to say I enjoyed it a lot better, mostly because the girls are cuter and more beautifull. I also think it looks nicer in general, and it has a bit of a storyline and some very cool action and humor to boot(y). I find it more attractive then ikkitousen, but that´s just my personal opinion.

I do believe every fan of ecchi and/or every true otaku in general should some day watch the classic first season of ikkitousen tough, being as famous as it is ^^
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
As an owner of a black lab, I feel offended.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Was it intentional to have trashy, violent and sleaze(y) as both + and -?
For this show they would be positives for me because that is what I expect, and want, from Ikki Tousen.
The review confirmed that this is pretty much what I expected it to be.

I have not seen Great Guardians or XX yet, but I am looking forward to both of them.
They seem like good (relatively speaking) additions to the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Trashy, violent, and sleazy
That's suppose to be a bad thing??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

I know, right?
hojo 360

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not in shock and this review is spot on as this show can only be called shit Laughing there's all most no story and unless your looking to fap then there's no point the dub it self was lazy as well
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Depends if it's on MTV. Laughing
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Also, I don't think a person should exactly expect a fan service show's Eng. dub to be on the same level of a show like Bebop, FMA/FMA:B, AoT, etc.
But can I expect a fanservice show's English dub to be on par with English dubs of other fanservice shows, like NGP's Ikki-Tousen '03, Dears, and Girls Bravo, ADV's Magikano and Yumeria, or Funimation's Rosario+Vampire, Shuffle!, Aria the Scarlet Ammo, and Negima? I don't think that's too much to ask, as silly fanservice shows easily lend themselves to liberal script rewrites that sound more natural and have more entertainment value in English.

Quote:
And then there are the subtitles, which are awash in uncharacteristic blunders: missing lines, grammatical errors, inconsistent name and terminology usage. There's no surer sign that a company doesn't give a crap than the decision not to proofread their subtitles.
And here I thought getting professional releases meant not dealing with the "we didn't care about this show 'cause it's fanservice fluff" mentality you get from fansubs.

Quote:
the franchise's now-customary director, the ever-seedy Koichi Ohata,
A rather vague and context-free namedrop. Between creating MD Geist, designing mechas for Gunbuster, Char's Counterattack, and Sonic Soldier Borgman, directing shows like You're Under Arrest Full Throttle, Sadamitsu the Destroyer, and the Blue Gender movie, and doing screenplays for Dangaioh and Sugar Sugar Rune, his career truly has been nothing but sleaze. Or rather: he's been far more involved with the kinds of violence/mecha anime loved by the old guard than with modern-day otaku/fanservice anime. Other than the Ikki-Tousen franchise, the only modern-day titillation titles he's played a primary roll on are the 1st season of Maken-ki! and Burst Angel. And Burst Angel is borderline at best for that status.
Pro-Tip Ako

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
The only reason I was looking forward to the dub of this show was to hear Rachel Hirschfeld ,Sara Lahti and Hunter MacKenzie Austin aka The Paper Sisters,again.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Why can't Koichi Ohata just drop this trash and give us a third MD Geist that we all want?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Everything gets boring if it goes on long enough. That includes sleazy violent trash.

It seems to me that each season past the first never really captured or extended what the first season had. There was a sense of mystery and remoteness of the "enemy" schools that is just gone from seeing too much of it. Also the Hakafu character doesn't work as well as it used to -- the total ditz vessel of invincible power who is terrified of her mother even though she trolls her. Lastly, the artwork degenerated after the first season.

If they do another season I doubt I'll watch it.

Quote:
(I'm looking at you Wanna Be the Strongest in the World)

ha ha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2