• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Servant × Service Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I hated Servant x Service; it soiled a premise ripe for some good workplace wit with more of an anime style like The Office with anime overtones (or at least, so I hoped) and instead uses a lot of crappy otaku pandering humour and stock characters and scenarios. Real letdown.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I liked this title a lot. I enjoyed the quirky characters and their interactions. I certainly didn't find the proceedings either boring or pointless. I genuinely believe that comedy is the most subjective of all entertainment forms, so if you happen to be in sync with the comedic sensibility of the show, you should be okay.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Ugh, I hated Servant x Service; it soiled a premise ripe for some good workplace wit with more of an anime style like The Office with anime overtones (or at least, so I hoped) and instead uses a lot of crappy otaku pandering humour and stock characters and scenarios. Real letdown.

Opposite opinion here, I thought it was great. Exactly what I wanted from a comedy at that time. Lucy was just too adorable.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:

Opposite opinion here, I thought it was great. Exactly what I wanted from a comedy at that time. Lucy was just too adorable.

Same here, I had a great time with Servant X Service, and probably would've bought the set if its price was a little more in-line with other bare-bones, sub-only DVD sets on the market. Not that it's outrageously expensive (because it's not), but it is more than I'm willing to pay for a set with so limited features such as this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved most of Servant x Service, and still find myself with its OP running through my head every now and then.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I love this show so much. I hope a second season gets made eventually, but I won't hold my breath. They never got around to making a third season of Working!! either.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Count me solidly in the Like category.
This was pretty high on the appointment viewing list when running initially on Crunchyroll.
Owning it is probably not in the cards. I really do not see much rewatch value (for me).
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it too but I found the bunny boss kind of annoying. The most interesting by far IMO and funny character was Chihaya Megumi. With her secret relationship with Ichimiya Taishi and their complicated relationship with Ichimiya's sister, her cosplaying, yet serious, straight faced demeanor, her own attitudes towards Hasebe, I really would've liked to get more screentime around her.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Man! I was really hoping this was going to get dub!
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
While I can't say I liked the show, I can agree that due to humor being a bit more subjective than objective the varying degrees in enjoyment will vary. That said I do think this review gave a fair assessment of the show because it is in fact "cute and charming" in the same way that Wagnaria(God that name) was.

The thing is, for me at least, compared to wagnaria I did genuinely find this show kind of dull, the first few episodes never grabbed me for some reason and I really had a hard time liking Hasabe. If it were me I'd just say see an episode of it for yourself and see if it works but otherwise I'd kind of have to agree with the review.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I saw the first few episodes, could figure out that Hasabe would never actually be held accountable for his dickish behavior (and that he'd probably be Lucy's love interest), and only a few of the side characters were enjoyable for me. That was a packed season with lots of of other things to watch too, but I imagine way down the road I could pick this up for cheap and finish it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the few shows out there I absolutely adore - what Working! should have been if that one wasn't so intent on keeping its one dimensional 2-D characters in their place.

I love the premise: Main character Lucy becomes a civil servant to enact her revenge on the person who approved her name - but when asked what "her revenge" actually would be, she's doesn't know because hasn't quite worked that part out yet. Simple does not equal stupid, one of the many problems with this review.

Honestly, I don't understand this review - there's a grudging respect about almost every component of the show but she always goes back to the word "boring" - seemingly oblivious to the point of the show being set at a workplace where the characters come out and say that they took the job because it is steady work but blind to the fact what working with the "public" really isn't as boring as all that {the "public" is faceless, people are not; We who work with the people all find that out eventually}. And low paying? Yes, people compete for these jobs, going to college and taking tests, because they are low paying, yet steady work.

Comedy may be subjective but I have to wonder about Chapman's work experience. The manga is based on the author's actual work experience and it shows, to me at least.

In the end, if this show was released by any other company, I'd completely recommend it as I have watched the streaming version several times already; Just like the ending shows: This is a great show to kick off your shoes with after a long day at an actual job.

But in order to pay for it, you'd probably have to get a second job. Ah, irony...
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I liked the show and it's other predecessor Working!! more but for the most part I enjoyed it almost as much and the fact the characters were a little older which made it easier for me to identify with them rather than my old highschool days self.

Will eventually pick it up, but kind of want to hold out and see if they will put it out on Blu-Ray. The price isn't the problem it's just I rather have it look the best as it possibly can and the fact I work so much as it is even if I were to buy it tomorrow I don't have the time to watch it or the growing pile of other shows I supported that I liked.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:16 pm Reply with quote
tcdelaney wrote:
I absolutely loved most of Servant x Service, and still find myself with its OP running through my head every now and then.

i also liked the OP and ED too. but as for me i will skip the series. at least until it sells well enough so that aniplex will release a version that have an english dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
This fits into a certain genre where it's very slow paced at easy going, almost like fishing (and similarly it's very love or hate with people).
Sometimes when I get off of work and just want to sit down and decompress a show like this is exactly what I need, other times I'm looking for a mindless action adventure flick that gets me engaged.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2