• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Discussing More Metroid in 2D & 3D

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
As long as Yoshio Sakamoto stays the hell away from the franchise, I think Metroid could be in good hands.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
As long as Yoshio Sakamoto stays the hell away from the franchise, I think Metroid could be in good hands.

Um, no offence mate, but the guy directed and did character design for Metroid, and wrote and directed Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. He also worked on the game design of many other classic Nintendo games and produced several others. One divisive/not-quite-so-great game does not undo all that. Maybe, when you've been as prolific in the world of game design as he has, you can judge him as harshly as you apparently do now. Anyway, having him head the 2D project would likely turn out great.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
As long as Retro Studios stays the hell away from the franchise, I think Metroid could be in good hands.

Fixed that for you, brah. More 2D Metroid please. No FPS games. Thanks.

I trust Sakamoto way more than I do westerners with the franchise. Only 3D Metroid that should exist is some kind of third person platforming action game, not a first person view.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
Um, no offence mate, but the guy directed and did character design for Metroid, and wrote and directed Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. He also worked on the game design of many other classic Nintendo games and produced several others. One divisive/not-quite-so-great game does not undo all that. Maybe, when you've been as prolific in the world of game design as he has, you can judge him as harshly as you apparently do now. Anyway, having him head the 2D project would likely turn out great.

I think a lot of people who don't like Other M do so out of ignorance of the franchise. If someone wants to blame the main director of the franchise for a game they don't like, but don't even realize the scapegoat they've created worked on every single main Metroid game, including being promoted to executive creator for Super Metroid and every game after, then it is a bit telling of their lack of knowledge of the franchise and their opinion has little weight.

Anywho, more Metroid is interesting if it happens. Not sure how I feel about the creator not being involved though. That's usually a troubling sign. Especially with how tightly written the story was under Sakamoto's pen. I'm not sure how they could continue the series without it taking a drastic turn given the end of Fusion, especially if the original writer isn't involved anymore. I'm not sure what else there is to tell in the Metroid universe.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think a lot of people who don't like Other M do so out of ignorance of the franchise. If someone wants to blame the main director of the franchise for a game they don't like, but don't even realize the scapegoat they've created worked on every single main Metroid game, including being promoted to executive creator for Super Metroid and every game after, then it is a bit telling of their lack of knowledge of the franchise and their opinion has little weight.
I think they dislike it because they think it's a bad game.....

I'm not sure how ignorance of the game franchisee comes into play when the complaints about Other M are how the level design, exploration, and story intrusion/telling are weaker then most of the other games. Then some have a problem with it adding a characterization that's really not in the other games. Yes I'm sure someone is dying to tell us about the comics. Either way most of the other franchisee is unlike Other M. So how's that ignorance? When most of the complains are based on comparing it to the other Metriod games?

DavetheUsher wrote:
ActionJacksin wrote:
As long as Retro Studios stays the hell away from the franchise, I think Metroid could be in good hands.

Fixed that for you, brah. More 2D Metroid please. No FPS games. Thanks.

I trust Sakamoto way more than I do westerners with the franchise. Only 3D Metroid that should exist is some kind of third person platforming action game, not a first person view.
No you just made it worse and made it sound like Metriod is a one trick pony that can't do anything else.

At this point I'm not sure what peoples problems are with the Prime games other then the very obnoxious "it's a FPS". Except they don't really play like FPS games and offer the same tone, atmosphere, exploration, puzzle elements, and environmental story telling of any other Metriod not called Other M.

Either way, westerners/Retro have made three very good games so I don't see the problem if they make another one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
At this point I'm not sure what peoples problems are with the Prime games other then the very obnoxious "it's a FPS". Except they don't really play like FPS games and offer the same tone, atmosphere, exploration, puzzle elements, and environmental story telling of any other Metriod not called Other M.

I disagree, it didn't feel very much like a Metroid game to me. Just the art direction alone seemed like a step down form Super to me.

Storywise, well, it lacked a story. It has nothing to do with the main Metroid storyline and is not reference to in any future games. Though since it wasn't directed by the main series lead, that's understandable.

Gameplay wise, it was a first person view for starters. More specifically it was annoying how your visor visuals took up a third of the screen it seemed like and really limited your FOV. Made fighting in big rooms difficult because you can only see directly in front of you so if an enemy is shooting you from up in a corner somewhere you have to spin around and try to find them. The third person games didn't have that problem at all since you were fully aware of your surroundings. To make matters worse Samus moved very slow and sluggist it felt like. I remember the side-scrollers and Other M being very fast paced and kinetic. In Prime it just felt like you were in a slow moving tank a lot of the time except for when you turned into a Morph Ball. Sometimes I found myself just using the Morph Ball mode just to move around because it's the only way to feel like you're getting anywhere quickly. And having platforming elements in a first person game has never been very fun. All in all, the whole gameplay style felt incredibly different to what I expected out of a 3D Metroid game.

Then there's the scanning element which was very tedious to having to stop and scan everything everywhere to do anything. I think the worse part was near the end and I remember you were locked out of the final area unless you go back throughout the whole game to scan about 13 different objects all over the world. I remember thinking it was just a huge waste of time.

I agree Metroid doesn't need to be a one trick pony, which is why I hope we don't get another game like it. I would dislike it if 3D Metroid is synonymous with first-person shooter in the west. If Retro does make a new Metroid, I hope it's a 2.5D platformer like their Donkey Kong Country games. I enjoyed Tropical Freeze very much so a Metroid game like that or New Super Mario Bros would be lovely. Another third person game like Other M would be fine with me as well, that was fun as well.
matsushima

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
It think Metroid is quite an versatile franchise. In my mind there are many styles of gameplay they can use.
1. 2D action platformer
2. First-person shooter like the Prime series
3. Third-person action game like Other M
4. Third-person shooter like Nintendo Land
5. Pinball
So they have many options.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:

it either you've been smoking something really nasty,just plain dumb, or dont dont gaming at all.

for one thing yoshio was the brains behind super metroid as well as metroid fusion. if there was anyone to trust with the series its him.

alongs as its not the people behind metroid prime 3 which i think was the worst of the trilogy epsecially its wiimote controls. hopefully the next game would be something similar to metroid other m though with none of the power up authorization BS. or if possible go back to its 2d routes with the sequel to metroid fusion.

though with nintendo completely abandoning the DS for the 3DS, the odds of another 100% FULL 2D Metroid game is slim to none.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:59 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

it either you've been smoking something really nasty,just plain dumb, or don't don't gaming at all.

for one thing yoshio was the brains behind super metroid as well as metroid fusion. if there was anyone to trust with the series its him.

alongs as its not the people behind metroid prime 3 which i think was the worst of the trilogy epsecially its wiimote controls. hopefully the next game would be something similar to metroid other m though with none of the power up authorization BS. or if possible go back to its 2d routes with the sequel to metroid fusion.

though with nintendo completely abandoning the DS for the 3DS, the odds of another 100% FULL 2D Metroid game is slim to none.

Kinda funny how people have been reexamining the whole Other M thing and realizing they may have jumped the gun with scapegoating Sakamoto because A) they might have picked the wrong guy or B) there IS no one to scapegoat because most of the time things just happen.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
I think you guys need to understand that this loathing I and many others have of Sakamoto is not born out of a vacuum.

You can hammer down his past victories with Super Metroid and the like until the cows come home; the fact is, he was the brains behind Other M and it's needlessly trite "pixel hunting", locking you out of areas to limit exploration, and most of all, butchering Samus' character and turning her into a simpering helpless child who needs approval from her commanding officer if she even has to take a breath.

But don't take my word for it. Check this lets play from a few years ago that contains tidbits of Sakamoto's development process. Straight from the horse's mouth folks:

http://lparchive.org/Metroid-Other-M/Plot/

Also, guys c'mon. Just because he's the director of past games in the series doesn't mean he's not prone to losing his touch. I mean, did George Lucas not teach you guys anything about creatively bottoming out, even on things you've made? Also glad to see the weebs have come out of the woodwork because they don't want the filthy gaijin Retro Studios touching their precious franchise (a franchise that, mind you, was never actually that big in Japan to begin was. Ever wonder why there was huge gap between Super and Prime, and why Prime was given to a western studio?).
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
alongs as its not the people behind metroid prime 3 which i think was the worst of the trilogy epsecially its wiimote controls.

People always say Prime 3 is the worst game in the series, and while I can understand that given the game looked like it belonged in the Halo series, I would say Prime 2 will always be the worst for me. The light world and dark world mechanic seemed so out of place and forced, not to mention it slowed an already sluggish game down even more by having to find and stay inside those light bubbles in the dark world all the time. The whole game just felt very generic. Dark Suit, Light Suit. Dark Beam, Light Beam. Dark Visor, Echo Visor. No Ice Beam or any classic power ups anymore, everything has to be dark and light. Even the environments were either all black/purple or brown/light and the whole game looked drab because of it.

ActionJacksin wrote:
You can hammer down his past victories with Super Metroid and the like until the cows come home; the fact is, he was the brains behind Other M and it's needlessly trite "pixel hunting", locking you out of areas to limit exploration, and most of all, butchering Samus' character and turning her into a simpering helpless child who needs approval from her commanding officer if she even has to take a breath

If you have to resort to hyperbole to make your point, it's probably best not to try to make a point at all. It makes you look silly and over-dramatic. If your main complaint with Other M is the whole "Samus is no longer like how I built her up in my head" then you have nary a leg to stand on I'm afraid. Samus was never the butch space-marine like those people try to say she was. Just go read some of the manga adaptions of older Metroid games.

Quote:

A Link Between Worlds seems indicative of any 2D throwback we might get. I didn't care for the art style much, and would hope for visuals more like New Super Mario Bros U if we get a game like that.

-Stuart Smith
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

If you have to resort to hyperbole to make your point, it's probably best not to try to make a point at all. It makes you look silly and over-dramatic. If your main complaint with Other M is the whole "Samus is no longer like how I built her up in my head" then you have nary a leg to stand on I'm afraid.

I suggest you take your own advice about hyperbole, since that wasn't the only complaint I posted and I'm pretty what Samus's was presented prior to Other M isn't some head cannon we imagined. I also posted source to back said complaints.

Last edited by ActionJacksin on Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Dude. Ignore the games go read the side comics to get her real personality! Forget anything that happens in the games!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
iloveturkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
Also, guys c'mon. Just because he's the director of past games in the series doesn't mean he's not prone to losing his touch. I mean, did George Lucas not teach you guys anything about creatively bottoming out, even on things you've made? Also glad to see the weebs have come out of the woodwork because they don't want the filthy gaijin Retro Studios touching their precious franchise (a franchise that, mind you, was never actually that big in Japan to begin was. Ever wonder why there was huge gap between Super and Prime, and why Prime was given to a western studio?).

Oh please, don't resort to personal attacks. That's always a sign someone has no argument and instead has to resort to ad hominem in an attempt to save face.

The franchise was never that big in America either until Prime came out. Metroid by and by is modest selling franchise all around, and Prime still is the best selling Metroid in America by a substantial margin. This is, of course, because it is an FPS and that's the secret to rebranding any franchise here as we've seen over the years. A lots of old games were lost to the shooter virus over the years, like Fallout and Tomb Raider, but Metroid was probably patient zero. At least Metroid still got three third-person sequels by the original creator as well, but Tomb Raider and Fallout fans weren't so lucky. Sorry, but turning a game into a shooter just to make it more popular strikes a nerve with me and is such a creatively bankrupt way for companies to make a franchise more popular here.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Dude. Ignore the games go read the side comics to get her real personality! Forget anything that happens in the games!

Nothing in the games contradicts the manga much, so I'm unsure what your point is?

ActionJacksin wrote:
I posted and I'm pretty what Samus's was presented prior to Other M isn't some head cannon we imagined. I also posted source to back said complaints.

If you want to explain, then go ahead. Do not link to an essay-length whiny blog post and expect people to comb through it to find the exact one or two sentences you want people to read.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3