• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riccardo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I haven't really been watching Anme for very long, but I think I can compile a list of favourites/least favourites. Here we go:

1) Soul Hunter. I loved this series. Strong characters, good story, a nice blend of action and comedy, and it didn't drag in the middle. Favourite Character: Raishinshi

2) Wolfs Rain. Despite a somewhat dodgy ending, I was hooked on this series from the first episode. Music is another thing I use to judge my favourites on, and the opening title and incidental music are fantastic. Must say I was hugely effected emotionally by this series. Favourite Character: Hige

3) Rune Soldier. Funny and with a good story line. Melissas "Its against my will" is still my favourite line from anything. Favourite Character: Louie

4) Orphen. Despite an apparent dodgy dub, I love this series. It never loses sight of its raison detre, as it were, and even when going off on tangents it maintains the storyline. Favorite Character: Majik

5) Azumanga Diaoh. How can you NOT like this cute little slice of Japanese high school life? Favourite Character: Osaka

6) King of Bandit Jing. I just loved the opening of this, and from start to finish I really enjoyed this series. There were only 2 proper regular characters, but they were really strong, so it worked well. Favourite Character: Jing

7) Final Fantasy Unlimited. This was the first series I ever saw, and I loved the homage to the video game series without blatantly ripping it off. Favourite Character: Sid

8) Those Who Hunt Elves. This is a pretty far out story, but good characters and engrosing stories make it one to really enjoy. The interaction between Junpei and Celcia is brilliant! Favourite Character: Junpei

9) Shura No Toki: I thought it was a great idea to have three generations follow the same (or a similar) story. It was a good story on martial arts without getting too bogged down with it. Characters were instantly strong and interesting. Favourite Charcater: Yakumo Mutsu

10) Samurai Gun. Didn't last very long (only 13 eps), but I enjoyed it because it was historical without getting bogged down in it. It was like James Bond in a traditional costume! Favourite Character: Itchimatsu

LEAST FAVOURITES:

1) The Hakkenden. This was my first experience with historical anime, and it just confused the hell out of me. The differing animation styles were annoying.

2) Elfen Lied. Naked chick rips peoples heads off in the most graphic way, then turns into a good natured handicapped girl. Yeah right! Graphic violence and shameless nudity unnecessary.

3) Happy Lesson. This show was so sugary sweet I could have wiped my nose with a pancake after watching it. The whole thing was too unblievable as well.

4) Midori Days. Another one too far out to enjoy. The guy wakes up one day with a girl on his hand? WTF???

5) Vampire Princess Miyu. First of all, its poorly named, because she is nothing like a western style vampire. Pointless, idiotic ending made me dislike this meandering, padestrian series.

Thats it.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:50 pm Reply with quote
riccardo wrote:
5) Vampire Princess Miyu. First of all, its poorly named, because she is nothing like a western style vampire. Pointless, idiotic ending made me dislike this meandering, padestrian series.

So, because the Japanese definition of "vampire" differs from the Western one, they aren't allowed to use the term? What?

Also, are you referring to the TV series or the OVA? They're both rather different from one another, with the TV series being a far more typical monster-of-the-week type series than the OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
riccardo

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
riccardo wrote:

So, because the Japanese definition of "vampire" differs from the Western one, they aren't allowed to use the term? What?

Also, are you referring to the TV series or the OVA? They're both rather different from one another, with the TV series being a far more typical monster-of-the-week type series than the OVA.

OK, I guess I phrased that badly.

What I meant was I was expecting to see a "vampire" in the traditional sense of the mythical Eastern European monster. As a Buffy/Angel fan, this is what I was hoping for and I was disapointed to see "Shinma", a sort of ill defined shape shifting demon who may or may not drink blood.

I was talking about the TV series, if there is an OVA that is more of a clear story and strengthens the characters slightly, I would be happy to see it.
bellafofella

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
hmm....well, as a kid in the third grade I would get irritated when my parents tried to make me do something while dragonball or dragon ball z was on. But eventually the plot became predictable. Everything is back to normal from the LAST bossevilguy and then again, another bossevilguy shows up stronger than the other one. Everyone is getting beat up, time for super saiyan (I dunno) 19 and then sometimes it doesn't work, every now and then comes in the dragonball wishin' and so on. Then bossevilguy dies, peace, then mayhem. It started out good and then it really did drag, and I honestly wouldn't think Naruto would be all that bad if it weren't for the fillers. I actually still like Naruto, I watch it on youtube but everyone keeps making AMVS or videos and tagging them as the new or recent Naruto episodes that I just kinda give up. Well there was my two cents (and then some....)
nickofsatan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Hi, i'm nick from So Cal, i thought this might be a nice thread for an introduction.

Top 10 anime

10. Byousoku 5 Centimeter - Makoto Shinkai never fails to amaze me with his amazing artwork and animation layout. The psychological storylines are good, 99% of the time. In Beyond the Clouds and Voices of a Distant Star, i felt as if the conclusion faded away in a blur of technology. In Byousoku 5 cm, he cuts out the high tech planes and mechas and creates a beautiful setup.I love how the two characters are so bound to each other, very heartwarming and peaceful. haven't seen the last two installments, but i have high hopes for this film.

9. HanTsuki- Very enjoyable to watch. This series spans only six episodes but feels longer in a good way. Some characters arent great but the storyline is nice. Good short series to watch.

8. Whisper of the Heart- Miyazaki is bound to show up on my list several times. I like this film because of its subtly drawn lines that liken the two characters. Every minute detail in the background and characters feeds into this great movie. My favorite aspect of this film it that it is not outrageously over the top, but brings out greater emotions through simple depictions of daily life.

7. Princess Mononoke AKA Grand Daddy of all anime movies. Captures a great essence, most rewatchable miyazaki film, and great music. The story is the most interesting part here, very superb. Animation pick up what live action cannot reach. This is a must see for all peeps.

6. Ouran High School Host Club- This is just a really funny and engaging series. I laughed the whole way through. For a 26 episode season, it felt incredibly short. A+ for character development. All the characters come out very realistically, which comes out very well when filled with humor. The storyline was not amazing, but that is not the key target of the series. There are a few episodes that i could do without, but they are still hilarious. The end was engaging, but a bit fast paced, but satisfying as well. Great Artwork over all. Haruhi is really cute. Awesome anime.

5. Last exile- This is the only series where I actually felt as if to be among the characters on their journey. Entrancing artwork, a loaded plot, and a grand set of characters all with their own conflicts. After a few episodes, this felt more like a continual movie than a series. The emotions that entwine the characters give the anime a dream like quality. Last exile is one of a kind.

4. Haibane Renmei- Perfect, that is the best description to sum up this series. This anime is sure to trap you along with its main character, Rakka, inside its mysterious turns. Anyone who has lived in a foreign country for a while can relate to the emotions of living in a new environment. Then the drama begins and unravels a great complexity of emotions through a modestly simple world. Loneliness, suspense, questioning, hope, hopelessness are all crafted so well in this drama series. All of the conflicts which plague upon the characters go well beyond the screen and linger on after the series ends. I am reluctant to place this series so high after just watching it, but i beleive it deserves no less. A++!

3. Kiki's Delivery Service- Best Miyazaki film. The light heartedness envelopes into a magical feel and is entertaining to watch. Everything is laid back and grows out beautifully. The slight drawbacks of the characters blend reality into the film. The animation and music also blend well with the tone of the peice. Two thumbs up

2. Kino's Journey- Forget about long storylines. Brevity is key. Through small glances of a flawed world, we find beauty. Strip away the garish artwork and crazy characters and you get Kino no Tabi. This is a very stunning anime to watch. Not for the gripping storyline, but for the apparent apathy of the characters. Question ethics, morality, technology among a wide area of psychological questions. Gives a unique sense of peace. Must see series.

1. Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo- What is time? This film plays around with the concept and produces the fantasy of reality that animes capture best. No hesitation, it cuts to the essence. The characterization really stands out, i realized alot of subtleties while rewatching. The artwork is nice too, it is simple, like a cross between miyazaki and shinkai. The end is very arguable, but i really enjoyed it because it captures the whole idea of the film without leaving the audience behind. I wish spoiler[they would have kissed though]. Not many words to describe the film, just see it and you'll know.

Honorable mention: Romeo x Juliet, Porco Rosso, Place Promised in Our Early Days, Naruto, and Fruits Basket

Lows:

I'm sure there are worse anime, these are just at the bottom of what i've seen

DBZ-" Hey look, that guy looks kinda dangerous, lets power up, almost lose and then beat him again!"

Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora- Just baffling, made no sense, very convoluted.

Paprika- Horrifyingly good animation, but loses track of itself and becomes high quality eye candy.

Tonagura- I liked this anime....... until the final episode.

Karin- Just very mediocre. Very, very mediocre.
UKfan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I posted in this thread and some of my favourites have changed.

Elfen Lied

I loved the story and the characters. I was amazed how they managed to fit so many different emotions in to the anime. There was alot of bad stuff happening but an equal amount of good stuff as well. My first impression was that it was a comedy series as it was very funny although it did sober up a bit near the end.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

I lost about 2 years of my life to Final Fantasy VII when it was released and I nearly wet myself with joy when I watched this. It might not have much appeal to anyone unfamiliar to the games but just seeing the team in full CGI beauty was a dream come true.

Gunbuster

I heard alot about this before I saw it and I wasn't dissapointed.
It might be old but it's a great story, epic almost, especially the battles. I like Giant Robots and you don't get much bigger than the Gunbuster. The ending was moving as well and left me feeling elated yet sad at the same time.

Last Exile

Beautiful to look at. One of the best looking series I've seen but it isn't just flash and effects it has a great story and great characters as well. I'm a big Skies of Arcadia fan so the fact it had flying warships made me very happy as well.

Nadia: Secret of Blue Water

What a ride. I felt sad and empty when I ejected the last disc and realised my adventures with Nadia, Jean and Marie had finished. It might have got a bit ropey in the middle but I enjoy a bit of comic relief so it didn't bore me. Plenty of action in the rest of the series and a great story kept me glued to the screen.

RahXephon

Simply the best Giant Robo style anime I've seen. I loved the fact it had an emotional side to it as well as the action. The animation was pretty and the characters were fun. Interesting story and Xephon just looked cool. One of the few anime I cried like a baby while watching, if you've seen it you know the part. Simply the best series I've seen so far. Everything about it just worked and I couldn't tear myself away from the screen until it had finished.

NEW- Saikano

One of the most emotional anime I've seen. It really delves into the horror of war and it's effects on people. The mismatch of schoolgirl and city-destroying weapon works well, at times you can almost think it's a typical high school romance anime, then BAM! it reminds you what's really happening. It also features some of the most tear-jerking scenes I've seen, beating RahXephon to the "cry like a girl" trophy.

NEW-***Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex***

Now I've seen both seasons of this show RahXephon has lost it's top spot as I have to rate this as one of the best out there. The soundtracks are amazing, the art is flashy yet clean and the characters are developed and 3 dimensional. It combines overarching storylines with individual episodes to great effect and it has Tachikoma, what more could you ask for.

Vision of Escaflowne

I love the whole schoolgirl taken to another world style anime and this is the best of those I've seen. It beats Magic Knight Rayearth by a small margin due to it's cleaner visuals and more dramatic storyline. A fantastic fantasy adventure with a host of interesting characters and the Escaflowne wins my 2nd best looking Giant Robot award. A fantastic series.

NEW- Ah! My Goddess TV/ OVA

I'm a big fan of the OVAs and in my opinion the TV series does a brilliant job of telling the same story as well. I love the story and the art and the characters are always interesting. I like the fact that at it's heart it's a story about a relationship and the everyday struggles people face, even when one of the couple isn't a goddess. In the end I prefer the TV to the OVA due to the expanded storylines and nicer art but they are both excellent shows.

Nothings changed in the worst anime category, I could have put a couple of hentai in, but seeing as they aren't really designed with story or art in mind I decided to leave the old ones in.

Least favourite (although I still enjoyed them, someone has to be the worst)

Spriggan

Sounded good, was good but it was nowhere near as good as I hoped for. A bit of a lame story didn't help and the hero just didn't seem that good. Seemed a bit like someone came up with alot of good ideas and just stuck them all together hoping it worked.

Those Who Hunt Elves

I watched this dubbed with the subs on for the most part just to make sure I wasn't missing too much of what was going on. It was a funny story and I enjoyed the slapstick nature but it never really went anywhere and it wasn't very mentally stimulating.

Pilot Candidate

The Goddesses looked a bit too corny for my liking. Fancy computer robots might be a good idea but they just didn't seem to fit in. It looked like it might have been better than it was at the start and it seemed like more could have been done at the end so I was expecting more than I got. Training just doesn't make for exciting viewing.

~~~Martian Successor Nadesico: The Prince of Darkness~~~

This was so much of a crime against the series I cried. Besides the fact the letterboxed visuals looked drab and dark it just didn't capture the magic of the series. Not what I was expecting after watching the series so I was dissapointed. I enjoyed the chance to return to the Nadesico but I have to say this is the most dissapointing anime I've seen.

Final Fantasy Unlimited

They used about 10 minutes of each episode for one animation. It was a tacky CGI animation as well. A shame really as the story showed alot of promise near the end and if they hadn't screwed up the start they could have done something interesting with it. A lost opportunity I feel.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Sessh0umaru01 wrote:
7. Hellsing - Alucard is pretty much a Vash rip-off..but whatever.

So why do you like it if you think it's a ripoff?

Sessh0umaru01 wrote:
9. Neon Genesis Evangelion - No need to describe why I like it.

Clearly you have not read the forum rules. DO SO.

Sessh0umaru01 wrote:
3. Naruto - Absolutely horrible.

Why?

Sessh0umaru01 wrote:
4. Pokemon

5. ONE PIECE

Do you mind not being lazy? We have a rule about this sort of thing, and you're not exempt from it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sessh0umaru01 wrote:

I think it's merely a comparison of appearance, not personality. And that's not really a key thing when judging whether an anime is good.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote
SinnerTim wrote:
Quote:
Sessh0umaru01 wrote:

I think it's merely a comparison of appearance, not personality. And that's not really a key thing when judging whether an anime is good.

Regardless, it's not a sufficient explanation for this thread, and the user still hasn't explained why they like the show.

...for that matter, is it the TV series or the OVA?
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:18 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
SinnerTim wrote:
Quote:
Sessh0umaru01 wrote:

Regardless, it's not a sufficient explanation for this thread, and the user still hasn't explained why they like the show.

...for that matter, is it the TV series or the OVA?

Well if he's just using Alucard as his reason for not liking it, which he shouldn't, then it doesn't matter if it's the TV or OVA. He's the same Alucard, except in Ultimate he's shinier and we're looking at him with a lot more awkward angles (which isn't bad). And blood looks tasty now after I saw the first 2 Ultimates.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Galaxis wrote:
2. Noir (well this is my second best series and I'm proud of that, Noir is awesome)
3. Cowboy Bebop (I don't think you need introduction for this and why its in my top 5 Razz )
4. Trigun (Like the others 3, Trigun is the same, pure awesomeness)
5.Gungrave (I don't know why but few ever mention Gungrave, I found it awesome!)
7. Full Metal Alchemist (the reason I like this anime is the reason why everyone likes this anime Razz)
9. Gundam Seed ( I love it hehehehe)
10. Tenjho Tenge (Although incomplete Its one of my 10 favorite animes and I'm waiting for a damn ova the next 10 years to complete it, still the manga is ongoing)

- - 5 Least Favorite Anime - -

1. Full Metal Panic (all season)
2. Chrono Crusade
3. Sunabozu a.k.a Desert Pank
4. Air
5. Basilisk
[/i]

These are unacceptable. Please do better in explaining why they made your list.
Galaxis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
These are unacceptable. Please do better in explaining why they made your list.

Ok I'll give it a try.
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Well I don't think this needs an explanation but from story - story - characters this series excels in everything.
2. Noir - Although not eechi art inside and no nudity or gorem, Noir managed to keep my hype from ep 1 -26 to the utmost level. The story is amazing and I really felt the two heroins.
3. Cowboy Bebop - I respect Watanabe more than any other director because Watanabe succeed in fusing humor, action, drama, sci-fi scenery, story , and characters in 26 episodes (plus one movie). Especially Spikes kung fu moves Smile and its the only anime that I think its better dubbed rather than Japanese original voice over.
4. Trigun - When I started watching this anime back in the days I didn't even realize the outcome of this series. It started as "fun to watch" anime and then, in the latter episodes the mood changed making it more serious and you knew that there were more than meets the eye.
5.Gungrave - Gungrave had intense story development between characters and you where always thinking where this will lead to, the setting the story took part was very well placed, the shooting was awesome.
6. Last Exile - Last Exile although a bit new, had awesome design and animation( I expect nothing less from Gonzo Studio), The story was very good, the setting was very well done and futuristic, and I love futurism, and the characters had a nice background and development. But I guess what draw me to this series is mostly that all of the ships named in Greek(I've seen lot of anime series using Greek names as titles but this one even had their grammar in Greek. and as Greek I was proud Razz)
7. Full Metal Alchemist - Although not a top notch animation it didn't bother me at all cause everything else was simply amazing. I think FMA's strong point is Story and character development which I look mostly into anime series.
8. Infinite Ryvius - simply genius plot..what will happen when you place in a spaceship 500+ children without adult supervising , get lost in space and have enemys in your tail? ahahah I love it
9. Gundam Seed - I've seen all the Gundam's but this one, I think, was the best, lot of lovable characters, story, mech's battles, drama. Although not as dramatic as fafner in the azure(which I forgot to place it in my top 10, is one of the best imho). Gundam seed destiny was also good but nowhere near as the first one. But what can I say? I need to watch the movie(ain't out yet) to sum my opinion in Gundam Seed saga.
10. Tenjho Tenge - This one had the best chicks, katana's , fighting, school settings, drama I've ever seen. I just love it for that. If I had to chose another I would go with Ikkitousen but Ikkitousen is a bit stupid infront of Tenjho Tenge.
I think this will do, sorry for not explaining before.
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
In no particular order
Kanon 2006 the first Kanon was really well done and i enjoyed the drama. I however enjoyed the remake much more than the original show. the remake added a lot of background to all of the characters.

Stellvia For what i have seen a lot of people did not like stellvia, however i really like the story line. the story focused around the students and how they interacted with each other. the saving earth from the second wave and the rip in time were secondary plot lines that supported the primary plot.

Magical girl Lyrical Nanoha the 3 seasons i know it seems like like a little kids show and the name does kind of imply it, but i still like it. i like it how the enemies in the first two season are not really evil. they are just doing what they think is best for the people they love. and as they have said before, season 3 is as much a magical girl show as mai hime is.

Mai-Hime i really liked this show. how everyone has to gamble the person they like the most and just the basic premise of the show is well done. also the show has a good plot development as well as good speed. i also liked the soundtrack that came with the show and really enhanced the story.

Full metal panic and Full Metal Panic TSR I just like it and found it entertaining. the characters of sousuke and chidori are a really good contrast of personalities and always fun to watch. didn't really like Fumoffu though.

ROD the TV I simply loved this show. really creative story as well as the abilities of the girls and the use of paper. it was unique and fun.

School Rumble both seasons I love this show, no matter what happens it makes me laugh. the love triangle between Harima and Yakumo, Tenma and Eri is just great and i love the dramatic irony.

Negima The comedy and the animation of the new one i really enjoy. also the dark comedy side of it i enjoy a lot.

Full Metal Alchemist One of the few shows that made good use of 52 episodes. it didn't feel drawn out like other succesful shows and the ending left it open for the movie to wrap it all up. the story was also well written.

Saber Marionette J, J again and J to X I loved this show and the sequels as well. it was amongst the first anime shows i ever watched back in 1998. that might be why i enjoy it so much, but i just do.

Shows i didn't really like

Initial D I hated this TV show. generally i try to watch atleast the first 8 episodes of any show so i can get a good idea of what they are about. but i just couldnt stand watching more than 4 episodes. it was boring and the animation was nothing too special.

Dragon ball Z it was way too overdrawn, the show could have been much better if they had done the fights shorter and didn't use such a predictable sequence of events for every new enemy they fought.

Mouse Absolutely no point or storyline in this show. there was really no substance in the show or storyline.

One Piece I just never got into this show, not my kind at all

Mai Otome This show was not bad per say, i was just very dissapointed when i started watching it. i had very high expectations for this show after watching Mai Hime and liking it so much.
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:05 am Reply with quote
All right, I've been on those forums for quite a while and I've never posted my list here, so I'll do so based on how I feel at the moment.

I must say that it is very hard for me to make this list because I have watched so many exceptionally good titles thanks to these forums, and the encyclopedia ratings Smile

also, a ***DISCLAIMER****: All Miyazaki titles should be included in the list below, but since there are too many of them and since I want to put my 10 favorite anime SERIES in there, I won't include any of them.

TOP 10:

1- RahXephon
I was simply amazed by this series. It has the best story out of all the anime I've seen, with good character development and a great ending. The animation is beautiful. It just kept on captivating me with all the mysteries and the great plot twists. The story unfolds in a way that keeps you interested and curious by being complex and hinting at so many things. It all comes together at the end in a stunning fashion. One of the best romances out there as well. Definitely a masterpiece IMO.

2- Samurai Champloo
This show has my favorite soundtrack as well as my favorite artwork/animation style. The character designs were fantastic. I really liked the episodic way in which it was done. There is not really a main story except the sunflower samurai thing, but the point of the show is just a journey on which Mugen, Jin and Fuu embark themselves. It just seemed to bring me happiness, with all those happy/funny/serious/sad moments all mixed in together. Also has the best first episode. to sum it up, I think that what makes Samurai Champloo so good is the general atmosphere of the show

3- Mai-Hime
This one is a hella Juggernaut of an anime. Its biggest strength is the VERY solid cast of characters it has. The main protagonist is THE most lovable anime character ever, and the NUMEROUS secondary characters are all interesting, without a single exception. All of them have an in-depth character development, and their relationships are well explored. Also, it has plot twists at about every episode, and one of the best romances out there. Don't be fooled by the J-Pop, fanservice and "magical girl" clichés, it really is worth it. Hard to describe but so good.

4- Great Teacher Onizuka
I think it's the best comedy anime out there. One of the rare animes that go over 26 episodes without having too many useless moments. The characters are all lovable, and you can really identify yourself to them. It is the best "School" anime in my opinion. Eikichi Onizuka can only be described with one word: Kickass. What makes it so nice is that it isn't too serious. It doesn't try to be too deep but has quite a few lessons about life in it, with some good character development included. It is a refreshing and original classic with great opening and ending themes

5- Kaleido Star
The main protagonist, Sora Nagino, is absolutely adorable, she's a close second to Tokiha Mai from Mai-Hime. The story is Original, smart, funny, and cute. Anyone can like it, regardless of age and sex. A++, you should check this anime out if you can enjoy other things besides action and comedy.

6- Eureka SeveN
The strength of this anime is that it is a near-perfect blend of action, romance and humor. It also shines because of its character development and especially the relationship between Renton and Eureka. Also, it has a great soundtrack, with remarkable opening and ending themes. Has nice character designs and a quite interesting story. 50 episodes is a nice bonus since it'll last longer, even though there are some moments that seem useless.

7- Haibane Renmei
A great anime by Yoshitoshi Abe, it is a short yet so deep story. You are plunged into the mysterious world of the Haibane, where you encounter Rakka and all her amazing friends. Has some sad moment, but lets you feel so light when you've finished watching it. Unique, stunning and beautiful.

8- Last Exile
One of the best-looking animes out there with great artwork, animation and character designs by GONZO. The story and characters are really nice, and what makes it a masterpiece is its original setting, in a mysterious world where airships soar freely in the skies. Has a complex universe that keeps dragging you in and making you curious. Good ending as well.

9- Gankutsuou: The count of Monte-Cristo
It is visually amazing, with a state-of-the art animation by GONZO. It has beautiful characters and backgrounds around the clock. It is a brilliant adaptation of a classic story, with unique characters. Deep character development and relationships with a neat romance. Definitely a must-see.

10- Bleach
It is the new King of Shounen anime. In my opinion, it's far superior to Naruto. Has a VERY LARGE set of interesting characters, sweet battles, and theme songs that will rock your socks. The story is interesting, and there are major plot twists that make it really nice. The first 15 episodes are a pain though, and the filler arc from around episode 62 to 108 should be skipped by anyone wishing to keep their sanity.

BOTTOM 5:
1- Gundam Seed Destiny
I consider it an insult to Gundam Seed. This sequel totally ruined the first series. Gundam Seed would probably be somewhere between 11th and 15th if the list above was longer. I really thought Gundam Seed was a great anime, and the sequel just totally ruined it. The story is just repetitive and bad, it's a copy of the first one, with THE WORST CHARACTER EVER TO BOOT: Shin Asuka. I despise him.

2- Strawberry Eggs
I just randomly picked 3 of these DVDs when there was the big RightStuf sale (25 DVDs for 100$). What an error. It has a dumb story, bad animation, it is repetitive and childish, and so very cheesy.

3- Jubei-Chan
Bad animation, uninteresting story and annoying characters. Bleh.

4- InuYasha
Endless anime that's totally pointless and childish. Watched about 25 episodes and got so sick of it. Also goes on and on for nothing.

5- Naruto
the KING OF FILLER. SO MUCH FILLER. Annoying main characters. Cheesy morals. Naruto is dumb, childish, and weak. It is not really my 5th worst anime but I put it in there because it's so sad that a concept with so much potential gets SOOO wasted. The secondary characters are REALLY great though. Kakashi, Rock Lee and Gaara especially.

Whew, that concludes both my lists. hope my long descriptions motivate you to watch these shows (TOP 10 oviously not bottom 5) if you haven't Smile
SinnerTim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1- RahXephon
I was simply amazed by this series. It has the best story out of all the anime I've seen, with good character development and a great ending. The animation is beautiful. It just kept on captivating me with all the mysteries and the great plot twists. The story unfolds in a way that keeps you interested and curious by being complex and hinting at so many things. It all comes together at the end in a stunning fashion. One of the best romances out there as well. Definitely a masterpiece IMO.

Am I the only person who found the whole thing to be an Eva rip-off? Had a lot of the same characters, a similar plot, and basically a similar story progression. I didn't think it was bad, but it just seemed like it was trying so hard to be Evangelion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 57 of 122