• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tennessee Titans Guard Chance Warmack Is Totally Down With Anime and Cosplay

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Just like Brennan Williams
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:

GO TEXANS!

Fanatism aside, it's nice to see that the fandom's being more outspoken... But we still have a long way to go before it's accepted and not discriminated.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
While the article mentions about it not having any Attack on Titan jokes, I find it interesting that the next article is called "Funimation Unveils 2nd Round of Attack on Titan Part 2 Dub Cast".
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Good for you, buddy.
Now get us past the playoffs and I'll buy you a dakimakura. Wink
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
LaughingElbow wrote:

GO TEXANS!

Fanatism aside, it's nice to see that the fandom's being more outspoken... But we still have a long way to go before it's accepted and not discriminated.

Outside of grade school, who honestly is "discriminating" against people who like anime?
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
There is hope for the medium yet! Thank you Chance for speaking on behalf of us anime fans out there, and nice that he corrected his teammates for whatever things they may have said.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow nice to see a NFL player is also an anime fan. This is pretty cool to see. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
gilnokoibito wrote:
You've never had awkward looks from people while wearing anime shirts or paying for things with an anime wallet?

T-shirts have been viewed pretty indifferently from my experiences, but I've gotten a few compliments at the counter when taking out my Strike Witches wallet Cool

Welcome to the club Chance. I'm a Seahawks fan, but you're officially a lot cooler in my book. Smile
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I had a lady talk to me nicely for several days when she came into the store I worked at a while ago. Then her kid saw my Pokemon pin I was wearing slightly hidden under my tie. When I acknowledged that it was, indeed, a Pokemon pin, his mother freaked out on me and said I should be ashamed of myself and I should grow up and stay away from other children. My manager was there and told me I had to stop wearing the pin after that.
In the place I work right now, I have a new Pokemon pin for my tie and my new manager started wearing one on his tie, too. He's an older man, too, but he has a 3DS and both X and Y (and is into American comics and stuff, which is not in my line of interests, but is still pretty cool).

And in another recent-ish story from a few months back, I wore my Madoka Rebellion shirt from the Japanese theaters on a day that me and a few friends were planning to watch Rebellion together ('cause I had just gotten the BD). An older man approached me and asked me why I had a bunch of young cartoon girls on my shirt. I kinda figured he was trying to make an ignorant statement, so my reply was something like, "It's just a show I watch." But god forbid he stop there. "So you like little girls?" "..." "Should I call the cops on you right now?" "..." "I've got my phone." And I walked away. He caught me again on his way out and told me I was lucky that he doesn't know my name.

And it's thanks to these two incidents that I'm really self-conscious when I leave the house with a shirt or accessory that has anything anime-esc on it. Now, if I wear anything to express myself, it tends to be something subtle, but obvious to those who know what it's from, like a messenger bag with a few words on it or a shirt with a symbol on it instead of characters.

Felicity dash wrote:
Actually my mom almost killed me because I like anime.

You might... want to talk to the police about that...
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Well its good that he dosnt judge people

Go Packers
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
It always bums me out when I see adults making fun of other adults and especially teens for showing off what they love by wearing themed clothing or dressing as the character they love.

But it saddens me even more when people think they should change themselves in order to fit in. If the type of people whose acceptance you're seeking are that shallow, what makes you think they'll just stop with what you wear?

It's also another reason why I strongly think that all fans, especially those that are on the receiving end of this kind of treatment, head to an anime con. It's important that you see that there are lots of teens and adults who not only love what you do, but have enough self confidence to rock that merchandise in public.

As for the player, I'm glad that he stood up and intervened when his teammates have made disparaging comments. We need more adults to do this.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
But it saddens me even more when people think they should change themselves in order to fit in. If the type of people whose acceptance you're seeking are that shallow, what makes you think they'll just stop with what you wear?

In my case, the first incident was related to work and the second incident almost got the police called on me (even if he was just making an empty threat, it felt very real). Not that they'd take the guy seriously either, but the discomfort of the accusation really sets in quickly and makes you want to avoid having that kind of thing happen again. I honestly don't care what other people think of what I wear, but in extreme situations like that, a simple "I don't care what you think of me" doesn't really suffice and can easily turn against you. Nothing is ever that simple... so I've just expressed myself with more subtlety. I mean, if the only people who are going to care are fans of that series, then they're going to be the only ones to recognize it in the first place, so I haven't felt restricted much by it. I still get to wear all of my anime/game franchise shirts all the time because I'm usually home or hanging out with my friends.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
That's truly frightening and sad to read, the experiences you've had to make, Juno016. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I never had to face anything like that. I even wore pretty straightforward anime shirts to work, and the kids were thrilled to recognize some 90's characters (I was thrilled they even knew who they were these days). Mostly, I try to wear things only fans would recognize, with more abstract designs. But even with the other ones, the worst I got were amused grins or open curiosity. There are quite a few people running around in Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead shirts around here, maybe people just got used to this sort of thing in general.
IZFSLE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
I've never really had any bad experiences with other people simply because I never really express the fact I'm into anime. Sometimes I'll wear one of my One Piece shirts around and I'll have no issues.

But, it's my parents who have been very critical of my hobby. I don't even talk to them about it, they only found out because I started hanging up some posters in my room. My mother repeatedly makes comments about said posters, and even called me a "4th grader" because I bought a wall scroll. My father hates it and has called it stupid and has taken a bunch of other little jabs at it.

It's the fact that they make these subtle comments to me all the time, like they're trying to get a reaction out of me. It'd be a different story if I were bothering them by talking about my hobby all the time, but not once have I ever even talked about it remotely with them. Then we got my mom who's forcibly trying to get me into some show on tv that I don't want to watch, yet there's apparently no problem with her doing that.

Bottom line is, I just find it absolutely hilarious seeing these BS comments from people who have no idea what they're talking about. People can walk around with their pants half-way fallen-off but god forbid if someone walks around with an anime shirt.
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:51 am Reply with quote
For me who watches it religiously I surprisingly don't have a lot of merch to show in public but the times I do it's usually the straightforward DBZ and Bleach type stuff but overall I got a positive response such as oh s#!& I know that show or where did you find that shirt I like it so it wasn't that bad for me. The only problem I have and this is just me I wouldn't wear something that'll try to russel some jimmies of some sentimental types that will say oh why do you have some little girl or a naked woman on your shirt or it's too obscene (ex: Seikon no Quaker etc........) but like I said that's just me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3