• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, August 25-31

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping Ao Haru Ride gets a 2nd season.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Just had to have a look to see how the last volume sold in its first week for Ao Haru Ride. Volume 10's first week total came in at almost 236K back in May. It spent 8 weeks in the chart, totaling to just under 596K.

Volume 10 also spent a couple of weeks outside of the top 50, but was back in the week that the anime debut. By that time, the volume had already been out for 2 months.

Volume 11 is the only new volume that has been released while the anime has been airing. I think it also came with an OVA that is a prequel to the anime. Its sales almost doubled volume 10's first week total, and it probably won't take 8 weeks to surpass the last volumes 8 week total.

So, yeah, hopefully BD sales are good for it and the manga continues to get a big bump so we can get a season 2.

While I've never really looked into the sales bumps manga get when they've got an anime adaption airing, is it unusual that a series only has one new manga volume during its anime run? Ao Haru Ride will probably get another bump when the live-action movie is released.

I'll be keeping an eye out for volume 12's December/January release, if the release schedule stays similar to what it has been in the past.

Ah, and I see Servant x Service's last volume has been released. Sad that we might not end up getting a 2nd anime season. Really enjoyed watching the antics in that show.

orange kept its spot. Still "Umming and Aahing" when it comes to reading it on Crunchy.

A Silent Voice only has 2 volumes left! Eagerly anticipating its print release in the west.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Gin no Saji <3
Still praying for a 3rd season.
The_way67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Ghoul!!!!!!!!!!!
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:00 am Reply with quote
@Ali07 - Shojo manga usually only release 2 or 3 volumes a year, so it isn't that unusual. Most shojo magazines are monthly or fortnightly, so they don't crank out chapters at the same rate as Jump and other shonen magazines.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:58 am Reply with quote
@st_owly - Thanks for that info! Wasn't sure about it myself, something that I've never really looked into. But, good to know that it is the norm.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Ao Haru Ride nearly doubling week 1 sales suggests that the anime did the job it was supposed to do. I hope this is a sign that it is destined to get a second season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1