• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Wife is Wagatsuma-san Manga to End on September 24

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Mm, I kinda knew this one was coming soon.

A possible anime adaptation in the future though?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
This was announced and known, forever ago.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
This would explain why the series doesn't have 100+ chapters. If he was not working at the chain, it would be ch. 100-something by now.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kuraishi stated that it is impossible to keep up with the busy schedule of a manga creator and work in a restaurant chain at the same time

Kinda sad that when forced to choose between manga and working in a restaurant, the restaurant is the better career.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
if it pays better, I would certainly choose that. Also, I think this job would enable him to have more sleep compared to the great sleep deprivation the other job entails.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
if it pays better, I would certainly choose that. Also, I think this job would enable him to have more sleep compared to the great sleep deprivation the other job entails.

well, mostly just the customers who pay the bills. If nobody buys your manga, you are screwed. just like all writers even in US. shonen jump pays the highest in yen per paper, that's because it has millions of subscribers. Those people pay your bills, but they can also have the power to vote your manga to cancellation.

If it sells millions like Naruto, OP, AoT, you are rich.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I have heard about this manga, never read it or seen any drawings, but it is a sad state of affairs if a mangaka with a recognizable series is better off working at Wagnaria or MgRonald.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
I've never read this manga, but it's my brother's favorite.
I'm surprised that the author is working at a restaurant chain. The schedule must be crazy harsh, and yeah, if I were in his shoes I probably would choose the one with most stable income. (Unless if he's an author of unbelievably popular series with tons of fanboy like Hunter x Hunter, he can take a break and put the series into hiatus for god-only-knows how long).

And, what about his other manga? I heard that Fort of Apocalypse is also awesome (even though it's entirely different with Wagatsuma). So, will he end the other manga too?
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

well, mostly just the customers who pay the bills. If nobody buys your manga, you are screwed. just like all writers even in US. shonen jump pays the highest in yen per paper, that's because it has millions of subscribers. Those people pay your bills, but they can also have the power to vote your manga to cancellation.

I think you are confusing Weekly Shounen Magazine with Weekly Shounen Jump. They are two different publishers, one from Kodansha (this title) and the other from Shueisha. AoT is actually published in a different Kodansha magazine. In any case, you're probably right that Shueisha/WSJ pays out the most. But I'm not sure about Kodansha... Maybe that's why the mangaka is writing two titles and still works at a restaurant Very Happy
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

I think you are confusing Weekly Shounen Magazine with Weekly Shounen Jump. They are two different publishers, one from Kodansha (this title) and the other from Shueisha. AoT is actually published in a different Kodansha magazine. In any case, you're probably right that Shueisha/WSJ pays out the most. But I'm not sure about Kodansha... Maybe that's why the mangaka is writing two titles and still works at a restaurant Very Happy

I don't think i'm confused. Naruto, OP, Bleach are in Shoune Jump. Not sure about this one. Everybody knows AoT is not in Shoune Jump and it's not weekly.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
I think a reason why Shounen Jump has the highest subscription rate is that it's most popular series (like Naruto, OP, Kochikame, and Bleach) are what drives the sales.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Stars prop up any mag. More important, and what separates WSJ from WSS and WSM, is their pursuit of stars. That is, because WSJ is so willing to can series after series in search of the next star, they eventually land on major hits. And the impact's cyclical; high exposure = higher chance of a hit = maintain exposure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1