• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, October 5-11

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Holy mother of Titans! The first volume is staying for its 70th time Shocked
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to see that two series that I am reading made the top 10: Fairy Tail and Sour Eater.
That makes me happy because it means that they will almost certainly not be canceled before they finish.Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abyss123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan volume 1 still in it.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see Fairy Tail in there.

Surprised to see Manga Dogs (AKA GDGD Dogs) make the cut. Was interested in checking it out, as it's only 3 volumes, but can't find much about it...and I rarely go into a series blind.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Holy mother of Titans! The first volume is staying for its 70th time Shocked

I wonder if any manga on the Japanese version of this list has ever held a spot for a similar length of time.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Surprised to see Manga Dogs (AKA GDGD Dogs) make the cut. Was interested in checking it out, as it's only 3 volumes, but can't find much about it...and I rarely go into a series blind.

It's always a nice surprise when a (relatively) obscure title makes the list. A shoujo without an anime being a bestseller is good to see. I've been interested in Ema Tōyama's works so I might give this one a go if I can find more information as it's not too much of a commitment.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

It's always a nice surprise when a (relatively) obscure title makes the list. A shoujo without an anime being a bestseller is good to see. I've been interested in Ema Tōyama's works so I might give this one a go if I can find more information as it's not too much of a commitment.

If it can't even outsell Maximum Ride, how much a bestseller could it be
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:44 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

If it's on the list it's a bestseller.
nichtejager

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

I have two of Tōyama's series 'Missions of Love' and 'I am Here' so I picked up the first volume, and I have to say it made me laugh. It's about a high school that starts a manga department but can't seem to find a competent teacher, but unbeknownst to them one of their pupils has already made her debut. After the first day three bishounen boys with no brains discover her secret and follow her around calling her sensei... Even if it is only three volumes it'll be worth the money for being for being an unconventional shojo. None of them seem to have talent for doing anything other than annoying the MC (while enchanting her ever so slightly...lol). The pen names she dubs the trio with are spectacular! It's not a genre I typically buy, between Tōyama and Dengeki Daisy there's only Otomen. Given how many series I follow that says a lot.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
I really don't like this list
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

If it's on the list it's a bestseller.

Or just a slow week. Check how many non-debut volumes that didn't rank the previous week are back on rank this week.
Klad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
Glad for Naruto and SE
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
nichtejager wrote:
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

I have two of Tōyama's series 'Missions of Love' and 'I am Here' so I picked up the first volume, and I have to say it made me laugh. It's about a high school that starts a manga department but can't seem to find a competent teacher, but unbeknownst to them one of their pupils has already made her debut. After the first day three bishounen boys with no brains discover her secret and follow her around calling her sensei... Even if it is only three volumes it'll be worth the money for being for being an unconventional shojo. None of them seem to have talent for doing anything other than annoying the MC (while enchanting her ever so slightly...lol). The pen names she dubs the trio with are spectacular! It's not a genre I typically buy, between Tōyama and Dengeki Daisy there's only Otomen. Given how many series I follow that says a lot.

I've got I Am Here and enjoyed the read (though, the third wheel character really got on my nerves...his name escapes me ATM). So, I was interested in Manga Dogs when I saw it's first volume up for pre-order.

Was surprised at the lack of discussion about the series online. Thing is, since it is a short series, I kind of want to get an idea on what its end is like. Hopefully, once it's released, some reviews pop up somewhere and I can find out. Laughing

Also, I do want to check out Missions of Love...eventually. Reading through some discussion, and trying to avoid spoilers in the process, I've come across many comments that say it feels like it's dragging now. May just keep waiting on that one.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Also, I do want to check out Missions of Love...eventually. Reading through some discussion, and trying to avoid spoilers in the process, I've come across many comments that say it feels like it's dragging now. May just keep waiting on that one.

Kodansha's releases (9 volumes out) will be catching up to Japan (14 volumes out) in a year and change. No excuses then! Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1