• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Man Arrested For Selling US Dollar Bills with One Piece Characters

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Laughing wow, what an idiot...
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Like always, japanese police has nothing better to do than waste time on these supposed "crimes"

Infinite facelpam.

As japanese crime rate is so low, real crime rate that is, the police workforce should be significantly reduced as to avoid them just going after whatever just so they can justify a paycheck.

Really, are citizen so relaxed to let their taxes get wasted on this stuff? And worst, To protect rich corporations?

relyat08 wrote:
Laughing wow, what an idiot...

He was not charged with counterfeit money, but with stupid copyright violation. However yes, its idiotic to do this in the land of the rising sun knowing police have nothing better to do to justify their paychecksand for selling them online when the police loves to surf and monitor the net in search of easy targets.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
After reading this article, WTF!!! And yeah I agreed this wouldn't be a crime from a western POV (or from any other Asian countries POV)

Minami-Asakura wrote:

As japanese crime rate is so low, real crime rate that is, the police workforce should be significantly reduced as to avoid them just going after whatever just so they can justify a paycheck.

I doubt the official report about Japan's crime being low. Did you know about Osaka police covered up 81,000 crimes (mostly thefts, street crimes). After reading about that, I started to doubt if Japan's crime is low like the official report claim.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
After reading this article, WTF!!! And yeah I agreed this wouldn't be a crime from a western POV (or from any other Asian countries POV)

Minami-Asakura wrote:

I doubt the official report about Japan's crime being low. Did you know about Osaka police covered up 81,000 crimes (mostly thefts, street crimes). After reading about that, I started to doubt if Japan's crime is low like the official report claim.

Freakonomics really made me question whether the crime rate in Japan is really as low as they say it is or if the Japanese police are just really good at covering things up so they can look good.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
In Luffy we Trust.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Technically the crime would be defacing(hah, that's a pun) the US dollar, which, I imagine, is where the copyright infringement comes in. Most people get away with stuff like this because they don't make it easy to track them down, if at all. You can't really be prosecuted for it if there is no evidence that it was you. If you have a boatload of nearly identical defaced bills in your house... well, that is pretty damning.

On another note, I got a dollar at work yesterday where all of the text was colored in rainbow fashion. It was actually pretty cool.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
From the sound of it, he was printing his own stickers of the One Piece characters and affixing them to the dollar bills. If so, that would be a copyright violation.

@Minami-Asakura: Heaven forbid Japanese police enforce the law. Rolling Eyes
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Technically the crime would be defacing(hah, that's a pun) the US dollar,

Is that a crime in Japan? I kind of doubt it, but I am not really sure.
I think that his crime was selling images of One Piece characters without authorization.

It is a crime and the police have to enforce the laws.
That is what they do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
^I'm not sure either. I assumed since it's the US dollar that he was defacing, he could be prosecuted for that as well. I guess it would depend on whether the US dollar is considered legal tender in Japan. I don't think it is though.

Kikaioh wrote:

@Minami-Asakura: Heaven forbid Japanese police enforce the law. Rolling Eyes

I mean... when the law being enforced literally amounts to a guy putting stickers on a dollar...

I equate it with prosecuting someone for going 3 mph over the speed limit. Not exactly a big deal. But if the police find a crime, and have nothing more pressing to do, they do have an obligation to act.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
This story is funny but a bit frivolous, don't Osaka's police have anything better to do.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
This story is funny but a bit frivolous, don't Osaka's police have anything better to do.

Beat cops and those on other crime cases, sure, but that's why police departments have compartmentalization, so they not every cop does everything.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I mean... when the law being enforced literally amounts to a guy putting stickers on a dollar...

According to the article the guy made over $50 off of 4 US dollars. He had 428 other US bills, so if he had managed to sell all of those, he would have come out to around $6000, with almost $5500 of that being profit.

Anyways, the guy was making money off of artwork that wasn't his, it's not exactly a defendable position. And you can't fault the police for doing small work, if you're going to do that you might as well complain that officers are wasting time whenever they do any sort of small law enforcement work, like giving out tickets for traffic violations or patrolling a neighborhood, on the basis that "more comparably heinous crime is happening elsewhere." That doesn't make sense.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
^I agree. It still makes for a little humor though. Laughing

On the other hand, parking tickets for expired inspections and the like are pretty much bullcrap and serve no purpose other than government funding.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
People, it's not as if ANN is going to inform us about every Japanese crime committed. This is a small crime, and it got posted because it was somehow anime-related, so let's not go around complaining about the japanese force taking care of smaller cases instead of fighting terrorists or something.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Minami-Asakura wrote:

He was not charged with counterfeit money, but with stupid copyright violation. However yes, its idiotic to do this in the land of the rising sun knowing police have nothing better to do to justify their paychecksand for selling them online when the police loves to surf and monitor the net in search of easy targets.

The person is selling it illegally and making a profit, that's the main issue is making a profit off someone else's work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3