• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cannon Busters Animation Kickstarter Launches With International Team

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I like that their fund allocation mainly seems to be going towards production, much better than UtD. Guess it's nice that people are still trying to give non-noodle Western 2D animation a shot, but that they need to rely on crowdfunding shows how likely dead traditional support is.
sharl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
this looks really amazing, i love these types of shows! i doubt it will become a full show though :/
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Guess it's nice that people are still trying to give non-noodle Western 2D animation a shot, but that they need to rely on crowdfunding shows how likely dead traditional support is.

Pretty much. But if this is just for a pilot episode, it doesn't mean a network would pick it up even if it gets funded, right? Still a big risk.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
It's a huge shame that 2D animation is dying out in the west, and the ones that are made look like they were done on Flash.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
This looks pretty awesome, and the color palette looks unique. Looks like i'll be donating, I hope it gets funded.
richard.s.eze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
there was support but there was just too many strings attached to get the funding
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, the starring character Sam looks quite attractive, and the action scenes display quite a bit of intensity, so Cannon Busters is a show that I can try watching. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this show will really have a chance of being done after its Kickstarter campaign passes. Neutral Plus, I think these folks don't know that, even through Kickstarter, crowdfunding is bound to have some sort of strings attached to it, if the KS campaign for Under the Dog is anything to go by.
Nonetheless, I hope the team will be successful in producing the show.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I just missed it, but the article doesn't seem to actually include a link to the Kickstarter page.

Anyway, I think it looks really cool, and hope that it succeeds at least enough for something to come out of it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Did the article even link the Kickstarter page?

Anyways, hey why not, if even the Santa Company xmas anime could raise almost $100k combined funded.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this looks really nice. It's worth a look. We got a nice team. Guys, from Trigger, Korra, Oban, etc... and Madureira. Hope this succeeds, but I'd be interested in a full series. But is the $100,000 for just the pilot?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
But is the $100,000 for just the pilot?

Yes; $120,000, in fact.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it looks like $120K for the pilot. That's pretty reasonable - IIRC most TV episodes cost about $200K for 22 minutes of (TV-quality) animation, and that was a couple years back. A pilot probably needs a bit more pre-production money than an episode in the middle of a TV run.

Edit: forgot to add that one of the interesting points of this KS is seeing AnimeBooks involved. I wonder what their role in all this is - are they just a local distributor for the rewards, or a financial backer, or do they actually have some role in producing the pilot (or some of the associated rewards)?

Last edited by azabaro on Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It's a huge shame that 2D animation is dying out in the west, and the ones that are made look like they were done on Flash.

Funny you should mention that, because a lot of them actually are made in Flash nowadays.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
Maybe I just missed it, but the article doesn't seem to actually include a link to the Kickstarter page.

Quote:

The "K" at the top left corner of the video links directly to the Kickstarter page.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Sakura Shinguji wrote:

Quote:

The "K" at the top left corner of the video links directly to the Kickstarter page.

It would be nice if they actually put a link in the story at the top or something Sad

I've watched Lesean's Seoul Sessions vids, I'm guessing he's hoping for Adult Swim / Toonami to pick it up. It's really the only place that has a fit. Unless somehow he can get it over in Japan (hey RWBY made it over, you never know).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3