• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
- OVER DUBS -

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
あのなんですか?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else think over dubs are the biggest toss ever?

It makes all anime sound cheese-bugerAmerican and crap! and it makes all the sound effect sounds crappy to...

Why is the over dubs the first thing that plays when you play your DVD? ... it is Japanese or Korean? Do we watch a French film on SBS with over-dubs? No!
sonictail
ANN.au Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
Simple fact, you're the minority. Australia is a english speaking country with pre-dominatly english speaking people. Chances are the average person who purchases a DVD wants to hear it in english.

Siren is going to be releasing sub only, Madman is supposed to possibly be doing one title that way later this year. But in my opnion it's no big deal, almost everyone puts subs on and i'm happy to switch, it's a couple of button presses!
madmangohan

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
Assuming you don't preset your dvd player to change automatically if the option's available Razz
StorminNorman

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
All anime is dubbed, no matter what language you watch it in.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
All anime is dubbed, no matter what language you watch it in.
Don't trot out that absurd Carl Macek line. Unless you're going to tell me that the original language in anime is silence. The original language is Japanese. You can't say that the Japanese track is ADR (Automated Dialogue Replacement - i.e. a dub) because there is no dialogue to replace.
あのなんですか?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:41 am Reply with quote
[All anime is dubbed, no matter what language you watch it in.]

Haha yeah, pointing it out right!! Good one Smile

But if you flick between US dub and Japanese, man there is a big difference. But maybe thats just me, knowing a little Japanese makes it more fun to watch too.[/quote]
あのなんですか?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
totally stuffed up that quote...
aurickandrien

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
Well, I do think that the Japanese-dubs are usually of higher quality. I guess this is probably because 1) voice-acting is a bigger thing in a Japan than it is in America, 2) things that get lost in the translation from Japanese to English, and 3) because I find the Japanese language to have a more expressive and beautiful quality to it than I do English.

Also, maybe it's just plain kinda weird having a show about high school children set in Japan when everyone is speaking English for some reason... And that principle kinda applies to all anime even if in different way and degrees.

Really, though it's my preference to watch the Japanese-dub over the English-dub and as long as the latter doesn't get in the way of me watching the former I have no real problem. Whether the people watching the English-dub have a problem is up to them.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
aurickandrien wrote:

Also, maybe it's just plain kinda weird having a show about high school children set in Japan when everyone is speaking English for some reason... And that principle kinda applies to all anime even if in different way and degrees.

Don't forget that Japanese was an official language in Victorian England and on the French Court before Revolution. Only Latvia sometimes try to speak Engrish.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
Don't forget that Japanese was an official language in Victorian England and on the French Court before Revolution.

As regards the former, I have been told the original Japanese is in fact less irritating to listen to than Manga's dub of it.
I'll happily listen to English-language dubs if appropriate for the characters and the setting, but when I do so I'm far more prone to spot flaws in the acting. Being behind a 'linguistic veil of ignorance' when listening to the Japanese track has an advantage in this respect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
True, true.
But we eidn't mention maybe the most important thing- habit.
Many of my DVD's have German dubbing and I enjoy it- I find Lady Oscar's, Inuyasha's and Utena Movie's dubs better than originals. Alsko I like English MKR. All Miyazaki's film I have in Polish. Also I've recorded for myself polish version of Oban Star racers.
I think that our preferences are determinate by the first time we have seen that title: most of us see fansubs before dubbing in any other language so we get used to it and every other voice sounds bad to us.
ジャック

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:29 am Reply with quote
I 100% agree, I am South Australian, and I can't stand English dub anime!
Japanese with subs or without is the only way to go!
My friends all agree, many people agree.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
ジャック wrote:
I 100% agree, I am South Australian, and I can't stand English dub anime!
Japanese with subs or without is the only way to go!
My friends all agree, many people agree.

It depends on what it is, and how well the dub is done.

I found that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya had a good English dub, and have also watched it subtitled, and heard or met a few of the voice staff (heard and met Minori Chihara, Japanese voice of Yuki Nagato, heard Daisuke Ono, Japanese voice of Koizumi, heard and met Crispin Freeman, English voice of Kyon).

Some will say that some English dubs are better done than the original Japanese (e.g. Ponyo, The Wind Rises).

I always want the option access to the original Japanese voices, hopefully with English subtitles available, and a good English dub is great when you don't understand the language fully and aren't able to keep your eyes on the screen 100 percent.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
ジャック, please observe our policy on necroposting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1