• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tsutomu Nihei's Blame Manga Gets Animated in Knights of Sidonia

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. I am definitely looking forward to both of these. (slightly disappointed by Sidonia not airing during Winter but that means Spring is going to be even more awesome next year)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
What does this mean?

The Sidonia Anime will have Blame shorts attached to it?
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
What does this mean?

They are only including Blame in episode 8 in Sidonia no Kishi 2. So I don't know either, it's really confusing.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:
jdnation wrote:
What does this mean?

They are only including Blame in episode 8 in Sidonia no Kishi 2. So I don't know either, it's really confusing.

It's a t.v show within a t.v show deal

in one of the later chps one of Nihei's past manga was a t.v show on one of the screens that the characters were watching.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
blame the manga getting animated in Knights Of Sidonia?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
This is some really confusing news, I don't really know what they are trying to say...
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
I hope they give it a totally different style, like '80s anime OVA. The contrast will make it stand out.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
Kinda surprising, since they already did that Blame OVA a couple years back. Maybe they want another shot at it? Anyway I hope we get a NOiSE adaptation eventually.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Kinda surprising, since they already did that Blame OVA a couple years back. Maybe they want another shot at it? Anyway I hope we get a NOiSE adaptation eventually.

Actually it was an ONA adaption. Not OVA.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
Wait, what? April? Any clue why they pushed it back? I remember reading in June that the second season was supposed to air in three days, so I am quite surprised.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, Netflix still hasn't released season one on DVD/BD. I don't want to keep paying for a subscription to watch season 2 if they're getting it.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:56 am Reply with quote
Wait a minute, does that mean CGi 'Blame!'? Sad

I mean, not a fan of Knights of Sidonia and its CGi personally, but I can understand it, the characters designs in the manga are very very simple and clean (specially in comparison with the other works of Nihei) and it's a mecha show so in this day and age it's usual to see 3D mechas for everything to simplify things (even in Gargantia which was a little distracting). But 'Blame!' has a really rough sketchy drawing and the action scenes are between beings that are not easily translated to 3D, specially seeing how dynamic and over the top they are, and the complex backgrounds are usually so beautiful when they are drawn, even in Sidonia or the no-sensical ONAs of Blame they got that showing once in a while some beautiful drawn backgrounds.

So worried about that, specially knowing that the studio is 100% CGi.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
So... a show-within-a-show style, or BLAME will be animated as some kind not-related-to-the-main-story style, or...
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Wait a minute, does that mean CGi 'Blame!'? Sad

I mean, not a fan of Knights of Sidonia and its CGi personally, but I can understand it, the characters designs in the manga are very very simple and clean (specially in comparison with the other works of Nihei) and it's a mecha show so in this day and age it's usual to see 3D mechas for everything to simplify things (even in Gargantia which was a little distracting). But 'Blame!' has a really rough sketchy drawing and the action scenes are between beings that are not easily translated to 3D, specially seeing how dynamic and over the top they are, and the complex backgrounds are usually so beautiful when they are drawn, even in Sidonia or the no-sensical ONAs of Blame they got that showing once in a while some beautiful drawn backgrounds.

So worried about that, specially knowing that the studio is 100% CGi.

Well, CGI can be very cool if done right, for example look at Street Fighter 4's renderings. Post effects and other things can make quite a difference for enhancing CG.

The problem of course is that it depends on the studio doing it and the budget. The fleshy feeling of the creatures in Sidonia and Blame won't really come off well with the stiffer CG that is done in the Sidnoia anime.

The ONA on the other hand of Blame is superb, despite its obviously limited budget, but it comes off really well in capturing Blame. But of course it was hand drawn. Would be nice to see Blame done that way.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
... amazing to say the least ... this should be made ... period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2