• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty sad to see some great names in the list of assist characters... on the other hand, I still have the possibility of beating the crap out of Kirito with Shizuo, so it may be worth a buy.
OtakunX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Even as a fighting game fanatic I found this game not worth the price. The random chosen playable character over assist only characters, which I am sure only exist to sell copies to dengeki fans, made me want to wait and hope for a later release with more playable characters but I might get a copy if I can get one at a cheap price.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Great review. Overall, I'm having a decent time with this game, but I'm a little put off by the relatively small character roster (at least compared to other modern-day fighters) and the very limited number of attacks each character has at his / her disposal. Also, like Under Night In-Birth, it doesn't present much of a challenge, even with the difficulty maxed out. Definitely a good fighting game for people who don't play a lot of fighters. At the very least, it'll keep me occupied until I get my hands on Guilty Gear Xrd.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Great review. Overall, I'm having a decent time with this game, but I'm a little put off by the relatively small character roster (at least compared to other modern-day fighters) and the very limited number of attacks each character has at his / her disposal. Also, like Under Night In-Birth, it doesn't present much of a challenge, even with the difficulty maxed out. Definitely a good fighting game for people who don't play a lot of fighters. At the very least, it'll keep me occupied until I get my hands on Guilty Gear Xrd.
If you think this game's small roster is an issue I guess you have not looked at the roster for Xrd. Dengeki has 13, Xrd has 17.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Is this game going to be getting a western release at any point? Also if anyone is familiar with AquaPazza I would like to hear thoughts on it. The review's mention of it makes me curious.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Is this game going to be getting a western release at any point? Also if anyone is familiar with AquaPazza I would like to hear thoughts on it. The review's mention of it makes me curious.

I'm not sure I don't see anything from Siliconera reporting on this game. So we'll have to wait and see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you think this game's small roster is an issue I guess you have not looked at the roster for Xrd. Dengeki has 13, Xrd has 17.

That's a fair point, but I expect Xrd to provide a much deeper play experience and offer substantially more replay value than this game. As it stands, I'd have a difficult time recommending DBFC to anyone who isn't already a fan of the various franchises from which it draws its character roster.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
This game is fun on a casual perspective. But since the game is so easy, this is where your fighting game fundamentals really shine. Footsies, mix-ups, hit-confirms, etc. need to be used to get the upper hand.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Freakmasta wrote:
This game is fun on a casual perspective. But since the game is so easy, this is where your fighting game fundamentals really shine. Footsies, mix-ups, hit-confirms, etc. need to be used to get the upper hand.

I think that's the beauty of an easier game, that you can push past all the mechanical practice that is common in these games and get to the point of fighting the other player rather than the combo system. DFC is a little janky but I definitely had great matches playing it online.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm terrible at fighting games in general, so I'm quite happy that it's so easy on beginners. Of course the characters and the cross over stuff is what I'm mostly interested in and I'm having quite a bit of fun with that.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

It's not a bad game, just lacking in some extras. In terms of gameplay, it's been called "Super Turbo with assists." If you can get it for a good price, go for it.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

Assuming this uses a new fight engine, I'd say a first installment of 14 fighters is pretty reasonable. Most balanced fighting games generally don't have a huge roster right off the bat, the one recent exception I can think of is Injustice which had 24 initial + (DLC) 6 (though that may have used the Mortal Kombat engine, I still haven't gotten around to playing MK 9 so I wouldn't know).
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
This game will NEVER EVER EVER be released here. copyright issues and huge hassels. your best bet is to buy it as is like j stars. i still need both games
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm so sick of people who want giant roster for a new fighting game. This isn't Street Fighter or King of Fighters. This is a new IP. They also don't have the budget compared to those games. I also rather have a small roster at the start so you can understand the matchups and characters easier. One of the reasons I enjoy UNIEL is the small roster size. When a sequel comes out, then you can start adding characters. I don't want to be overwhelmed with a huge roster like Ultra SF4 or Chronophantasma.

Imagine a newcomer trying to get into fighting games, only to see the roster size of CvS2. I don't think the newcomer's brain would function.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
So who does everyone typically use? My favourites are Miyuki and Yukina.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4