• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars' Mamoru Hosoda Makes 1st New Film in 3 Years

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
Great news. I can't wait to see what Mamoru has to offer this time since his last movie, Wolf Children. Always looking forward to his projects.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sylontack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote
I've never been disappointed with his works, Wolf Children was flawless.

I'm mostly excited and a good 5-10% nervous Razz (I just don't want to dislike his films because they've all been amazing so far)
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
Really hope this one is as enjoyable as all of his other films - the question really is how long we will have to wait to actually see the movie on BD in the West.

It would also be really swell if someone could get The Girl Who Leapt Through Time back in print making the BD for that affordable again! (also speaking of BD re-releases we need, where's the one for Sword of the Stranger?)

Last edited by FlamingFirewire on Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
Will this really be an 'action flick'? Not that I hate action movie, it just doesn't seem fitting to advertise Hosoda's movie as such, though it's not yet known if he wants to try something new.

(yeah I don't consider Summer Wars as an action flick)
gel309

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
Looks interesting, loved summer wars Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:31 am Reply with quote
Summer Wars was solid and I absolutely loved Wolf Children, so I am very excited at the news of a new movie. Can't wait.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote
I've loved everything the man's made so far, so it's great to hear there's a new one on the way.

Bit of trivia: his last two films opened in Japan during the same summers as Evangelion 2.0 and 3.0, respectively. So here's hoping that pattern holds, too....
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:06 am Reply with quote
Always look forward to a Mamoru release.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
Sounds great; I like supernatural/urban fantasy settings so I have to try this. Guess Funimation will try to grab this as well.

Quote:
He added, "There are surprisingly few animated works set in Shibuya. Even though it's a famous place, it'll be novel as a movie setting."

Outside of The World Ends with You (which was a video game) I can't think of an anime set directly in Shibuya.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:01 am Reply with quote
So, kind of like a supernatural Jungle Book, set in the concrete jungle of Shibuya...
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Oh this is going to be amazing. Very Happy

When I read the article, something got my attention:

ANN wrote:
Hosoda created and scripted the movie, and plans to complete it next June. Theatrical screenings have already been set for France, and the major French movie studio Gaumont will handle international sales outside Asia. General producer Seiji Okuda (Summer Wars, Wolf Children) of NTV (who is producing the movie), NTV's movie division head Daisuke Kadoya, and Studio Chizu producer Yuichiro Saito (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children) attended the press conference.

So is this a co-production between France and Japan, judging from this part of the article??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
Wolf Children was flawless.

Pacing? Simplistic, sentimentalized image of rural life? Disappearance of ostensive main character for most of the third act?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
was wondering about Hosoda last weekend when watching Summer Wars again. glad to hear this
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
3 years in between movies make sense, but the headline makes it sound that Hosoda took too long to make another movie. I enjoyed the Girl Who Leapt Through Time and I love Wolf Children (I have not watched Summer Wars yet).
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
YES. I had actually just been calculating that we might be hearing about his next film soon enough, based on the time frame between his other original works.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - 2006
Summer Wars - 2009
Wolf Children - 2012

So I had a feeling that we'd be hearing an announcement about his next film soon, so that it could be ready to come out next year. So while this makes me excited to finally have another one ready to come out, it depresses me to think that after that, we'll have to wait until about 2018 probably for his next one after this. Quality takes time I suppose though, and as far as I'm concerned, everything this man touches seems to be gold.

Cannot, cannot, CANNOT wait nor stress how excited I am!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3