• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon Will Release Yuki Yuna is a Hero, Denki-Gai no Honya-san in North America

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Um... hooray?
traveling

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting that they're releasing so early. I expect the price to be higher than average. Not surprising that it's TRS exclusive considering that they're a new distributor with only a couple of anime.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The company is signing exclusively with Right Stuf, Inc. to distribute "collector-grade" Blu-ray, DVD, and other merchandise in North America

Aaaaand there goes the reasonably priced anime we've come to enjoy in NA. Following Aniplex all the big Japanese publishers are going to skip licensing out to middlemen and start selling to the US directly at the same exorbitant prices as Japan. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Well that's a surprise. Here I was telling my brother there's very little chance on Denki-gai being released outside Japan.

This might be getting expensive though...

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I hope this will be at a collectable price. other wise,
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
"Aniplex USA business model, activate!"
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Very curious as to how these will be packaged, the release model, and pricing. Both shows don't release their final BD's in Japan until May.

Also here's how Yuki Yuna is packaged, it's VERY nice.
http://yuyuyu.tv/bddvd/img/bddvd_01_tenkai.jpg
http://yuyuyu.tv/bddvd/img/bddvd_02_tenkai.jpg

Will we get something like this?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Aaaaand there goes the reasonably priced anime we've come to enjoy in NA. Following Aniplex all the big Japanese publishers are going to skip licensing out to middlemen and start selling to the US directly at the same exorbitant prices as Japan. :(

But that only works if they can get their price. Remember, the first rule of Capitalism is stuff is worth what people will pay for it. Not every show can command a high price from collectors, and most fans will continue to stream the shows for free anyways.

Would Yuki Yuna Is A Hero on Blu-Ray be worth $50 to me? Almost certainly. $100? Probably not. $200? Hell no.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I am very excited about this, Denki-Gai was one of the few shows i actually finished last season. And I for one welcome quality products, rather than the Funimation/Sentai standard... Can't wait to see what goodies they'll include in the set Very Happy!
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
This sucks and I doubt their releases are going to have English audio and a cheaper standard release. So, I wonder when they will be the next Bandai and ADV? I'm guessing this time next year they'll close up shop. Japan should just stop selling anime to us, if they can't look at the market for TV Shows and no I'm not talking just anime. I'm talking about shows and movies that get made here. This is pointless I guess they just love staying niche. After all this when they fail they'll just scratch their head and say "I guess US doesn't want anime". Damn fools...
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
MisterLuck wrote:
This sucks and I doubt their releases are going to have English audio and a cheaper standard release. So, I wonder when they will be the next Bandai and ADV? I'm guessing this time next year they'll close up shop. Japan should just stop selling anime to us, if they can't look at the market for TV Shows and no I'm not talking just anime. I'm talking about shows and movies that get made here. This is pointless I guess they just love staying niche. After all this when they fail they'll just scratch their head and say "I guess US doesn't want anime". Damn fools...

Yep, because that's what happened to Aniplex of America when they closed up shop and ran back to Japan back in 2011.

spoiler[Oh wait...]
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
MisterLuck wrote:

Yep, because that's what happened to Aniplex of America when they closed up shop and ran back to Japan back in 2011.

spoiler[Oh wait...]

Yes, I know but they have at least English audio and they play the market in their favor by putting their dubs on Toonami and/or Netflix. This company doesn't seem to have plans for that. All what this company is going to do is shy casuals away and flood the small anime market with sub only and overly expensive sets that only a few will buy and of course they will lose money and not understand that American's will not buy that expensive stuff. Also Aniplex will one day close up shop too.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I saw this on one of the none anime boards that I post on which is seeing something similar happen, I'm lifting the quote and rephrasing it slightly but it is still quite applicable to this evolving situation.

Quote:
For those who want to have Anime as a small, members-only club requiring a high-dollar investment, this new status quo will work fine.

I find the shrinking of horizons for the Anime industry in the US to be dismaying.

Mark Gosdin
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

spoiler[Oh wait...]

This is because Aniplex is hitting the sweet spot of sales for their price point. I've said it before, but they really don't care about the fans. They could be making just as much money (possibly more) at a lower price point with higher sales numbers. But they don't want to risk that. They tested the waters with high-income people and it worked for them so the'yre going to keep with it. I'm sure it costs them less this way too since they make fewer copies as well. In the end, it's more money. 100% about money for them. It's a shame because there's so many good anime from them that so many people will miss out on due to prices. Or they get it from other means that they can afford that doesn't benefit Aniplex in any way.

On to the main topic..I'm a bit surprised. Yuuki Yuuna was not a great show by any measure. It took almost every dark magical girl trope that exists and just piled them on top of each other. The only really good thing about it was the animation. But from what I've seen online it seems pretty well received by people who haven't experienced the genre before or people who just automatically love anything that's dark in any form. The other anime I've yet to hear a thing about but the ratings I'm seeing for it are not so great...
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

spoiler[Oh wait...]

This is because Aniplex is hitting the sweet spot of sales for their price point. I've said it before, but they really don't care about the fans. They could be making just as much money (possibly more) at a lower price point with higher sales numbers. But they don't want to risk that. They tested the waters with high-income people and it worked for them so the'yre going to keep with it. I'm sure it costs them less this way too since they make fewer copies as well. In the end, it's more money. 100% about money for them. It's a shame because there's so many good anime from them that so many people will miss out on due to prices. Or they get it from other means that they can afford that doesn't benefit Aniplex in any way.
Lower prices sure helped... Look what happened when singles were gone in 2010.
http://i.imgur.com/u6hVSjI.jpg

How about when Geneon lowered the price of their $200 box sets to the competition? Still didn't cause more money.
animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2009-12-03

Also, what are legal streams and blind-buying is still a huge thing in 2015? I don't even own say Kill la Kill, but didn't miss out. Bam.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/kill-la-kill

The only time the AoA release is the only legal way to watch is their movies. They still need to fix that somehow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8