• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maria the Virgin Witch (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
If Maria spoiler[lost her powers] then why did she spoiler[retain her familiars?]

Again, I could be wrong here, but was the show ever explicit in its magic rules? I.e. did it ever indicate that a familiar was a magical creature entirely of its master's making? And even if it is, was it ever explicitly stated that once created these familiars don't have an existence of their own that is not dependent on their masters continuing to have magic? I ask these questions without sarcasm because for all I know these rules were mentioned and I just missed them.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, we saw how one of the familiars was created from an existing being. Now that I think about it, Artemis herself could talk to the owl even before Maria actually turned him into a familiar.

It was also established that the two familiars kept their human forms because of Maria's powers, but I don't recall that they would cease to exist without them.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Thinking back to episode 10 just after Maria was captured, the familiars were wondering whether spoiler[their Master had truly lost her powers but concluded that it couldn't be the case since they could still assume human form. In that same conversation, they assumed that had Maria lost her powers they would have reverted to simple owls. ]

As jroa has pointed out, I did not see Artemis and Priapos in human form spoiler[or for that matter talking ] during the scene when Maria moves in as the new neighbour.

Regardless of the identity of the narrator at the beginning, I'm taking the line that Maria spoiler[lost her powers and status as a witch based on that final sentence. ]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
@ jroa and Harleyquin - thanks guys, that clears things up for me. I think anyone who is intelligent, savagely good-looking with daisy fresh body aroma would have to agree that there really is absolutely NO DOUBT that Maria gave up magic as part of her character growth.

(...hee hee hee...)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
You didn't use bold text.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
It was implied.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote
BTW, sorry Blood- but I won't be following-up on my promise to find that information I mentioned on the last page. I decided I won't be talking about this show any more. Bold text not required Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote
As it happens, I have nothing further to say about the show, either, until I rematch the show with a dub and perhaps read the manga. Of course, by that time, nobody is going to care about my Very, Very Important Thoughts. Sad
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
How far manga went from this anime?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

Anime is an original adaptation of a complete manga series consisting of 3 books.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I might be wrong, but I think Max is asking how much the anime deviated from the manga. People who know should feel free to answer...

...BEING CAREFUL TO USE SPOILER TAGS AND IDENTIFY SAID SPOILER TAGS AS CONCEALING MANGA INFORMATION, OF COURSE.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Anime is an original adaptation of a complete manga series consisting of 3 books.

Just out of curiosity, are you by any chance trying to be humorous?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:14 am Reply with quote
^
Question was vague, so I tried my best to answer it.

Print run from November 2008 to July 2013 in "Good Afternoon" magazine.

Volume ISBN numbers:

spoiler[ ISBN 9784063106220
ISBN 9784063107821
ISBN 9784063879247 ]

I'm compelled to ask if the question itself is with good intentions, since it's already been answered by others with respect to differences between this adaptation and the source material.

jroa wrote:
It's also easy to prove otherwise in an indirect manner. I don't speak Japanese, but I've looked at the original source. Galfa doesn't exist in the manga. Only one brief scene with the implied possibility of rape still occurs in both versions after Maria gets attacked by Ezekiel in spear form, when Artemis rushes to save her from an angry soldier. Yet the virginity restriction -and much of the other core story material in the series, especially almost everything related to Michael and Ezekiel- does come from there.

Easy to miss posts like these in the long theological argument between the distinguished religious scholars on this forum.

Funny, no adverse reaction from unspecified critics when "spoiler" material isn't covered by tags in this instance. No capital letters, nothing highlighted in bold font, no attempts to bypass the swearing filter...

[Edit]: removed unnecessary quote nesting. Please read the quoting guidelines. Joined consecutive posts. Errinundra.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
I don't read every single post in a given thread.

[Edit]: removed snark. Errinundra.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:34 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin & Blood-, may I suggest you two organise a RL boxing match between the two of you. You need an outlet of your mutual antipathy somewhere outside these forums.

As you may have noticed I've deleted some of your posts. Please don't post again in this thread unless it's specifically about Maria the Virgin Witch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 28