• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One-on-One with OLIVIA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow Hyde in a dress huh? That just gives me a funny mental picture Very Happy

Throughtout the whole interview it felt like she was distant and scared, but she did open up in some parts, and even then she put up a defense. OLIVIA is a very different type of JPOP artist, she's really sensitive, hard on herself, and she's doesn't really get out there to expose herself more. I saw a performance of her doing a song on TV and she messed up badly at the start but then the rest of the song went really well but at the end it looked she was about to cry heavily. She's more than NANA I hope people know since her earlier music I find to be better (the NANA stuff is really good too.)

I've watched video interviews with her and I like her humble side but I think if she wants to be a bigger artist she can't let her modesty dominate her, it's like she's scared to be more out there. I really like OLIVIA alot so I'm not criticizing, I just don't want her to fall into obscurity as all these other Japanese music artists are fighting really hard to show themselves to the public and connect with their audience and OLIVIA is lacking that right now.

I wish her luck with her new album, I can't wait to buy it!
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they mentioned her sister Caroline. Anyone who hasn't heard her CD "Murmurs" is missing out on a great album that rivals anything Bjork has released in recent years.

Has there been any news as to when OLIVIA'S CDs will be released in the states? (I know iTunes has a couple of CDs, but I like to have a physical copy, if you get what I'm saying.)
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious, did Olivia answer in English or Japanese (and then translated)?
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
I'm curious, did Olivia answer in English or Japanese (and then translated)?

She spoke in English.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
I think Olivia needs to get really popular in the States, right about.....NOW.

Seriously, I dig all of her stuff. It's bouncy, it's moody, it's passionate, it's rockin'. I don't think there are too many of her songs that I skip when I listen to them. Hopefully, she hooks up with a better producer/writer than Hikaru Utada did and doesn't turn into another fad/curiosity item from Japan.

Now off to iTunes to find stuff from Caroline!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah she is a really good singer. I've been a fan of her since D&D. I just bought tickets for her show in Shibuya. It will be very cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:35 am Reply with quote
Olivia's cool, but I like Anna Tsuchiya better Laughing

Although she is prettier than Anna. She's almost how I'd imagine Reira/Layla as a real person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm totally wanting that autographed guitar. I'd be even better if she sang A Little Pain while I played it.

Hey, a guy can dream.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1