• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
S.A.O "Progressive" novels?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite the fan of Sword Art Online and I've been collecting the novels too. They're a fun read and make some of the techie stuff and gameplay a bit easier to follow (compared to the anime). But two new releases just came out, titled "Progressive". They appear to take place in Aincrad again...but seem to have brand new material? I'm a little confused. Does anyone have more info on these and would you say they're worth buying?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
But two new releases just came out, titled "Progressive". They appear to take place in Aincrad again...but seem to have brand new material?

I haven't read them, but my impression from the back cover is that this "Progressive" series is a retelling of the Aincrad story with a slower pace and more day-to-day detail. The first book of SAO was originally conceived as a one-off sci-fi novel, so obviously there was no room in it for detailing the two years and 100 levels of dungeon-grinding that went on; it just hit the high points, and that worked out fine.

No idea how long the "Progressive" version is going to run, but there are literally scores of levels we know nothing about, so there's all kinds of room. Maybe it'll turn out well, or maybe it'll be interminable filler....
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's all new artwork inside the books. I'll likely end up buying them just because of that. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1