• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Three Reasons Why Blood Blockade Battlefront is the Best Show of the Spring

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
This show... I feel I should like it more than I'm doing, but it doesn't click with me. The weird whiplash pacing, strange editing of some scenes, urgency to really care about things too quickly without being properly set up and given time for your mind to proccess it (hey episode 4!) and also strangely slow and bland delivery of conversations rubs me the wrong way. It's unique, but unique doesn't always work, at least for me, so most of the time I end up watching an episode feeling "eh" (the ED is great though. Shame that it's unavailable to see in Youtube in Europe Sad ), although I don't think it's bad and there are neat things to see still, but... Thankfully the show has decided to catch a breath in these last episodes, I prefer it over the hiperactivity of the first ones that were just super-messy for me.

I'm not able to check out the english dub either, but I have one question: is more fluent than the japanese? The japanese dub direction is... weirdly off-putting for me. I don't what happens to the sound most of the time but it sound kind of distant and without strength, and the delivery is strangely bland and full of weird pauses between lines that, well, maybe it will sound more realistic, but it's the kind of negative realistic that acts as a detriment and distract you for a second, and make the conversations feel longer and blander than they should, even when they are screaming and doing silly things. I hope the english dub makes it better.

P.S.: The whole NY ambientation and music is impressive... I guess, but I'm not north-american so although I'm familiarized with some things I'm not with most of it so I can't really appreciate it as much as I can appreciate Baccano's atmosphere (despite this being much less referencial). But good in that aspect, can't deny.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this show quite a bit. I was somewhat concerned that I wouldn't find anything that felt terribly interesting after Death Parade finished, but this seems to have it the spot.
OnceAgain

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
Eldritchian is not a word. Eldritch is already an adjective. Lovecraft will thank you.

Amazing show, though.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
To me the best part about BBB is its impressive visuals and coolness. The characters are likable. I already consider this title Very good, but I might rate it higher if the main story/plot, which seems intriguing and neat, comes together.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
What is the image between the alien chess and Sonic Speed Monkey? Reverse image search turns up nothing
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
For me it's probably the craziness that makes the show. Definitely the best show of Spring 2015
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
Link cannot be seen on Mexico, so much for calling for "support from both hemispheres".

Last edited by mangamuscle on Fri May 29, 2015 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snufalufagus

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
This is definitely one of the stand outs this spring season. I look forward to watching it week after week and even the weaker episodes are strong. The funnest show this season. To me what it lacks to put it into the top spot as the best show is I do not deeply care about any of the characters. I like all the characters even the "evil" ones but if one of them dies it would not stick with me.
I rate this show very highly but I am not sure it will ever be a go to show for me. I have certain anime I can watch again and again if even only a few episodes. That does not necessarily mean to be the best show it needs that but compared to My Teen Romantic Snafu Too with me it just has not been able to compete. After I watched ep 7 of Snafu at 1am in the morning I was stomping around my house for an hour till I could calm myself down. Ep 8 I still cannot get out of my mind. In the end as good as Blockade is it may end up being one of those anime that I see scrolling though Hulu and go yeah that was good. Snafu how ever will be an anime I see and wonder if I am ready to watch it again yet or not.
Random 21

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
Couldn't agree with this more. As the season goes on, I find myself getting less interested in a lot of the shows, but for BBB, it just keeps going. I've actually been using this show to get a lot of my non-anime friends to enjoy anime, and I'll tell you what, it works like a charm. There's so much style AND substance here that it's not just my AOTS, not just a tough competitor for AOTY already, but it might be taking a high spot in my favorite anime of all time. I'm seeing a lot of positivity for this show everywhere, which is a real surprise (although as is natural, there are still haters, which is completely fair), but I think that's just a testament to how great this show actually is.

Hell, this show made me go out and Buy all the licensed manga. And I don't even read manga. That says a lot of how dear this series is to me already. Thanks for writing this, Hope. Season 2, please.
Korogoro

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Yes, I really think Kekkai Sensen is the best anime of this season and it will probably be one of the best of this year.... I loved Rie Matsumoto's work in Kyousougiga but Kekkai is just as great, but still, a second season is not that possible.... you know, all good shows never get a second season.
Reiseng

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
BBB is really good! Hibike! Euphonium's episode 8 might have nudged it ahead of BBB for me, but BBB is still one of my favorites this season.

For anyone curious, here is what I beleive to be the source for the cute Sonic + teddy bear photo. I am mostly liking it because it has 2 other even cuter illustrations.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
What is the image between the alien chess and Sonic Speed Monkey? Reverse image search turns up nothing

I'm pretty sure it's a member of Bump of Chicken (the band who made BBB's opening song) posing with the 2 CDs for their single. IIRC it's from a promotional photo spread the band did recently.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
This show isn't for everyone, but for somebody who's favourite anime is Baccano, this is a godsend. Favourite of this season by a landslide
Vizo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
For me, it's definitely the best new anime this season (and this year so far). I like the genres that make up the series, the characters and their designs (especially Klaus) Wink , and it has a decent premise. I'm glad that there is a fair amount of comedy in a show like this. I didn't want it to be too serious. I just hope the fights get more epic and certain character traits don't wear on my nerves.

Also, I'm so happy I "waited" for the dub. Very Happy
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
Wow, look at all the gushing over here! I'm gonna have to check this out sometime in the future. I already enjoyed Trigun a lot. (During the second half, I was saying VASH DON'T CRY PLEASE LET THIS HAVE A HAPPY ENDING every episode.) I think I'd like this.

Also, that monkey is effing cute. Anime smile <3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7