• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo to Launch Kickstarter for Riding Bean Special Edition

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Good news, sadly this will probably be the last of Sonoda's work.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
They sure ain't wasting time.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:57 am Reply with quote
They sure don't make chins like they used to.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
While there at it, how about re-dubbing it, it looks like every is rushing their lines to meet the lip flap.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Who knows, maybe they'll put up the Kickstarter for Wanna-Be's or Gall Force BDs? Maybe Gunsmith Cats? A man can dream, but they've only gone after anime that already have the heavy lifting (the film transfer) done. In Riding Bean's case, it came out great. I just hope they're not asking too much for such a short piece.

Actually, a complete Gall Force DVD set wouldn't be a bad idea, including the one they didn't license.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
While there at it, how about re-dubbing it, it looks like every is rushing their lines to meet the lip flap.

And get rid of Bean's awesome pseudo-Nic Cage voice? NEVER!!
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it'll be too hard for Riding Bean's Kickstarter to be a success, particularly since the English version of the show is already there.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Who knows, maybe they'll put up the Kickstarter for Wanna-Be's or Gall Force BDs?

Or even Super Deformed Double Feature?
Don't think they have as much AIC/Artmic as they used to, but if they could get BGC back...
Dfens

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I might pick this one up since I'm a huge Sonoda but I could die happy if they did a Gunsmith Cats Blu-Ray.

But that will likely never happen, since their isn't a Blu-Ray in Japan for the series and last time I checked Sentai formally ADV Films still has the license to this day since it's showing not expired.

Still if they did do a Gunsmith Cats Blu-Ray I'd buy 2 one for me and my best friend and pledge enough for a original Sketch by Sonoda of Rally Vincent no matter how much money they want for it.

I wonder is it even possible to even make a Blu-Ray first here stateside before even the Japanese release of it? At least the out of print DVD version still looks good to this day.
spinja446

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to get really suspicious of AnimEigo these days turning towards over to Kickstarter for funding again and again.

First Bubblegum Crisis, then Otaku no Video and now Riding Bean... Surely this is sending the wrong message in the industry. Soon Media Blasters, Funimation, Sentai, Discotek will follow suit.

AnimEigo is a entertainment company that licenses and distributes anime, samurai films and Japanese cinema. If they are that they should operate such as one or take your company/business elsewhere.

You go over to their site and on their homepage I read
Quote:
"More Crowd production Madness coming soon!" "We are currently negotiating several new crowd production projects, and hope to be announcing them soon. Follow @AnimEigo on Twitter -- we'll be announcing things there first."

Surely this is cheating the system. It's not like they are *independent* AnimeEigo has been around for 25 years and why the sudden change now. What has lead them to such a move.

I go to their FAQ's page and read under #5: Are you going to license and release [insert show name here]?

Quote:
We neither confirm nor deny the confirmation or denial of any future licensing plans. I'd like to say we could confirm or deny this is company policy, but we neither confirm nor deny that either.

Further, we neither confirm nor deny the upcoming release plans of our licensors in Japan, nor do we confirm or deny that we HAVE any licensors in Japan. In fact, we're unwilling to confirm that Japan even EXISTS. And as for this internet thing you're using, it might just be a figment of your imagination.

We do confirm that we do listen to your suggestions, however bizarre they might be. We regret doing this, however, since some of you are even stranger than we are!

Who ever is running the show over there seems a bit dodgy and not being really honest about coming forth with information on their Frequently Asked Questions page.

I'm not really sure whats going on here but I find this Kickstarter trend alarming with them. Bubblegum Crisis was fine the first time but now I think they are abusing such a system? Maybe, I don't know but it just seems way to easy for them taking this route. You look at something like AnimeSols and wonder, gee why didn't they jump on this but chose to go through hoops and hurdles instead.

If you claim to operate as a company then you should be just that and nothing else. What's stopping others from doing this if they are able to do it? Hell this transcends outside of Anime as well with other distributing companies. This also sounds like loophole and another way not to lose grip on a license that could have expired a long time ago. Are japanese licensors seeing any of this crowdfunding cut or is AnimEigo just reporting back to them with numbers that what they have is still a success just because they made something like Riding Bean relevant again usuing Kickstarter. Riding Bean is a classic but it doesn't deserve to be kickstarted like all the other amazing projects on Kickstarter! You've made your money on it years ago, now let it go. Squeezing every last penny out of Riding Bean? I'm sorry but Riding Bean is no Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell or Bubblegum Crisis.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Actually, a complete Gall Force DVD set wouldn't be a bad idea, including the one they didn't license.

I would be totally onboard for that.
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Dish it out. Very Happy
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
spinja446 wrote:
Riding Bean is a classic but it doesn't deserve to be kickstarted like all the other amazing projects on Kickstarter!

Quote:
I'm sorry but Riding Bean is no Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell or Bubblegum Crisis.

I spy a contradiction. If it's a classic and it's no Ninja Scroll, that's precisely why crowdfunding makes sense. Blu-ray authoring is still not cheap. The market for it is probably relatively small. Ergo, it's a good idea to make sure it is sufficient.

If you think it's not worth it, don't fund it. If enough think differently, it will happen and those people know exactly what they'll be getting into and what to expect. Nobody's getting conned or ripped off. And after multiple years of this kind of thing, it should be self-evident that it will not overturn the entire business model at large.

If you feel something else should have come first, hey, OK. Given a bit of patience, it just may happen.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Will definitely back when the time comes. Hopefully he sends out a reminder before that Kickstarter starts.

Dfens wrote:
I might pick this one up since I'm a huge Sonoda but I could die happy if they did a Gunsmith Cats Blu-Ray remaster.

But that will likely never happen, since their isn't a Blu-Ray in Japan for the series and last time I checked Sentai formally ADV Films still has the license to this day since it's showing not expired.

Yes. Would totally back or buy a Gunsmith Cats blu-ray.
In that case hopefully Sentai would be willing to put it out if Japan ever makes one...

SpacemanHardy wrote:
And get rid of Bean's awesome pseudo-Nic Cage voice? NEVER!!

Yeah Very Happy

Lemonchest wrote:

Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4