• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Can Webcomic Artists Get Anime Made?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
Regarding webcomics, we're actually kind of getting one via the upcoming One-Punch Man anime, the incredibly popular Yuusuke Murata manga is actually based on a webcomic. And that's about how I'd expect it to go: anything popular enough to merit adapting as an anime is probably popular enough to merit a printed manga version, which is far cheaper than an animated show and provides tried-and-tested sales and marketing data for any producers regarding the viability of the property.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
Hetalia also began as a webcomic and might be the most successful example of a webcomic turned manga and anime. But I'm sure it's an extreme exception and banking on similar success, especially for someone outside of Japan, would be a humongous longshot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
Regarding webcomics, we're actually kind of getting one via the upcoming One-Punch Man anime, the incredibly popular Yuusuke Murata manga is actually based on a webcomic. And that's about how I'd expect it to go: anything popular enough to merit adapting as an anime is probably popular enough to merit a printed manga version, which is far cheaper than an animated show and provides tried-and-tested sales and marketing data for any producers regarding the viability of the property.

Well, there's also a motion comic called "My Sister is American", which is based on the web-manga. It's voiced and it moves, so it can be counted as a first step to anime, I guess.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
I would love an 'Anime News Nina!' anime.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
It's probably worth saying that there is a lot of interaction between songwriters, lyricists, composers, musicians and music producers for music of anime. For example, Elements Garden members write a very large amount of music for anime across several labels.

Beyond just company affiliations, certain artists and composers have strong connections with particular anime/game franchises (e.g. Chiaki Ishikawa with Sengoku Basara - Samurai Kings) - their music becomes part of the franchise.

[edit]
Of course there are the tie-ins of voice actors/actresses that are also singers.

Last edited by omiya on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
My take on webcomics will be that a lot of people better off either animating the series themselves or collaborating with up and coming independent animation artists. Places like Newgrounds and Devianart come to mind. Especially if the webcomic isn't that big in the first place, nobody from a big studio is going to be willing to touch it with a ten foot pole like Justin said. Even thinking about that possibly becoming a reality is absurd. The reality of it all is that money and reputation is on the line. Best to have indie artists do it and at least give it some animation than no animation at all. Prime examples I can point of webcomics artists doing their own animation include:

- Primal Wars by Rick Marin
- See No Evil by Betsy Lee (Warlord of Noodles)
- Neurotically Yours by Jonathan Ian Mathers (Ill Will Press)

All three of these artists have released their own materials via Youtube, Newgrounds, other video streaming sites and even their own. Mathers has gone so far as to even release his animated episodes on DVD, and also has released CD's in hard copy and on iTunes. I guess what I am trying to say here is that sometimes/most of the time you do not need a big name studio to your webcomics animated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But the truth is, most people simply do something other than work at the top company until they retire/die. Some work retail. Others work in anime. Or at a bank. Or in government. Or become manga artists.

And here I was thinking that Japanese people were either highschoolers or businesspeople.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:03 am Reply with quote
ajr wrote:

Also, while "webcomic" has a connotation of being indy, every major manga publisher in Japan has at least one online magazine (though the comics still get compiled into traditional tankoubon). For instance, Watamote, Barakamon, Nozaki-kun and Daily Lives of High School Boys all ran in Gangan Online.

There are also webtoons, which tend to be more like indie comics. They originated in Korea, but there are quite a few Japanese ones now, and Re:Life has proven popular enough that it has an anime in production.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
About webcomics:

As Justin wrote, the process of creating a web-comic is usually ignored by the big-names, so the smaller, more amateur ones are those who will be most willing to take the job (I mean the Western side of things. In Japan, numerous 4-panel titles get an anime adaptation).

In the end, it indeed might be prudent and efficient to sell the rights, than to pursue an adaptation by a local studio.

Justin Sevakis wrote:
Japanese people that don't make the top schools and get into the top jobs are lined up in front of a firing squad and executed at age 23.

That's it, the secret for Japan's decreasing population has been revealed Razz
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
article wrote:
In some cases, the director will go into the project already wanting a certain existing song, or a certain artist that's not on the production committee's roster to perform it. This is often considered a lost opportunity for both marketing and revenue, but sometimes the director will get his way.

I once came across an example of an existing song being re-written for an anime:
Quote:
Little Viking's MAGIC on her STHLM album, was reissued as FUTURE, the Ending Theme of the very successful animation KiddyGrade.

(although her own discography has Future being released by Victor a month before the STHLM album released by VAP which contained the song Magic)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
I want a SoL workcom set at a bank or the Japanese stock exchange, make it happen studios.

That top school, top company shtick needs to die, even in the US, it's dying slowly due to startups and a lot of people are saying screw Ivy league, it's a waste of money for the most part and the community college is coming back in style. In the US unless you are trying to work for a few select companies, school doesn't matter as long as it's accredited.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I want a SoL workcom set at a bank or the Japanese stock exchange, make it happen studios.

Servant x Service was about workers in a government office, if what you're looking for is a mundane setting. I get the feeling an anime about the stock exchange would be like Wolf of Wall Street without the drugs and hookers (wait, does that leave anything...?)

But now that I think about it, I can't think of many anime that take place in a professional job setting (i.e. not restaurant or retail) other than publishing companies. LN and manga writers stick to the only office settings they're familiar with, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Servant x Service was about workers in a government office, if what you're looking for is a mundane setting. I get the feeling an anime about the stock exchange would be like Wolf of Wall Street without the drugs and hookers (wait, does that leave anything...?)

Hostesses.

Quote:
But now that I think about it, I can't think of many anime that take place in a professional job setting (i.e. not restaurant or retail) other than publishing companies.

Cops and the military get good representation. Shinto and Buddhist priests, too.

And of course right now we have Plastic Memories.

On the working class side of things we have:

Toradora: Ryuuji's mom is a hostess and they live in what's basically a slum apartment.

AnoHana: Jintan and Popo both work in construction during the series.

Most PA Works series: Lots of characters come from families that own small businesses, ranging from hotels, to cafes, to fishing boats.

Tsuritama: More fishing boat owners.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
Monster Musume started out as a series of webcomics before becoming a manga. But that's the key step, you need a transition medium, and going from light novel or manga to anime is as old as anime itself.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

But now that I think about it, I can't think of many anime that take place in a professional job setting (i.e. not restaurant or retail) other than publishing companies. LN and manga writers stick to the only office settings they're familiar with, I guess.

Happy Marriage takes place in a professional job setting. Of course, it moves to their home life and focuses more on the relationship side, but their jobs frequently get in the way, so there's that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4