• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Animation in Japan by Title: 2015 (First Half)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
Goooooooo Cross Ange~! Very Happy
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:47 am Reply with quote
^

One of the greatest anime ever. Well deserved to be in that list.

Disney domination!
Kael123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
I know I am dense, but sales of what?

DVD? Bluray? Both combined?
Or sales, as in sales in revenue? (looks too low for that)
SniperRuleZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:59 am Reply with quote
Kael123 wrote:
I know I am dense, but sales of what?

DVD? Bluray? Both combined?
Or sales, as in sales in revenue? (looks too low for that)

DVD + Bluray. Yeah the article should have mentioned. I know only because I follow Oricon.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
Sales Chart wrote:
6 92,418 Haikyu!!
7 92,234 Shirobako
[...]
10 69,223 Tsukimonogatari
11 65,060 Kuroko's Basketball
12 61,581 Rakuen Tsuihō - Expelled from Paradise
13 61,035 The irregular at magic high school
14 59,922 Kan Colle
15 58,961 Yuki Yuna Is a Hero
[...]
17 49,185 Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road
18 44,730 Your Lie in April
19 43,331 Aldnoah.Zero
[...]
21 40,721 Amagi Brilliant Park
22 40,045 CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon

Good to see those shows getting respectable figures. In particular Shirobako, Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru, Rakuen Tsuihō, Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road, and Amagi Brilliant Park.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
I still find it interesting that the old school Tom & Jerry is still popular in Japan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Sales Chart wrote:
6 92,418 Haikyu!!
[...]
10 69,223 Tsukimonogatari
11 65,060 Kuroko's Basketball
12 61,581 Rakuen Tsuihō - Expelled from Paradise
13 61,035 The irregular at magic high school
14 59,922 Kan Colle
15 58,961 Yuki Yuna Is a Hero
[...]
17 49,185 Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road
18 44,730 Your Lie in April
19 43,331 Aldnoah.Zero
[...]
21 40,721 Amagi Brilliant Park
22 40,045 CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon

Good to see those shows getting respectable figures. In particular Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru, Rakuen Tsuihō, Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road, and Amagi Brilliant Park.

Cosign hard with you on this post, except Shirobako(haven't seen it) and I would add Haikyuu to the in particulars as it is my personal favorite of the list.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
Sword Are Online bet Love Live and sweet Yuki Yuna Is a Hero made it
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sword Are Online bet Love Live and sweet Yuki Yuna Is a Hero made it

Actually no not even remotely close. This is a really misleading ranking style. All it's counting is what sold between a certain period so Love Live only got to count 1 of it's discs really in volume 7 released on December 25 while SAO got to count all but the first 2 in it's catalogue. Love Live in fact vastly outsold SAO by a long shot overall. If you were to give Love Live even 1 more of it's discs to count it'd completely change the look of it's chart. Hell just give Love Live it's very first disc all by itself and I think it still tops all of SAO.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Since I liked SAO 2 more than the 1st season, this pleases me. Although, I'm guessing it did not sell more than the original series but glad this was a top seller for 1st half of 2015. Same with Love Live! 2.

Pleasantly surprised that Haikyuu! beat Eternal Summer, Kuroko's Basketball, and YowaPeda for best selling sports anime for 1st half. Hope season 2 also strikes gold in the fall. But I'm really surprised both shows (and the fantastic Shirobako) beat Tsukimonogatari for the 1st half since the Bakemonogatari fanbase has been so prominent in BD sales.

Wished JBA: Stardust Crusaders sold higher but, hopefully, this means Jousuke and Jocelyn's arcs could get adaptations.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Man, seeing Free! up there as a smash anime hit pleases me. Who knew that a silly swimming anime could do this well....
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Please keep in mind that this ranking is just the sum of the total sales of all volumes for each title: Volume 1 + Volume 2 + Volume 3, etc. without dividing them per volume.

In other words, these are not averages at all. Different kinds of data.
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Since I liked SAO 2 more than the 1st season, this pleases me. Although, I'm guessing it did not sell more than the original series but glad this was a top seller for 1st half of 2015. Same with Love Live! 2.

Pleasantly surprised that Haikyuu! beat Eternal Summer, Kuroko's Basketball, and YowaPeda for best selling sports anime for 1st half. Hope season 2 also strikes gold in the fall. But I'm really surprised both shows (and the fantastic Shirobako) beat Tsukimonogatari for the 1st half since the Bakemonogatari fanbase has been so prominent in BD sales.

Wished JBA: Stardust Crusaders sold higher but, hopefully, this means Jousuke and Jocelyn's arcs could get adaptations.

Monogatari seems like it's slowing down nowadays as it nears the end of what's adaptable. It's largely a 4 episode and done TV special kind of thing now that gets premium Blu-Ray releases cause they are trying to stretch it out as much as possible but I think it's also causing a bit of a loss in interest as the show kind of wears stale with buyers like most things do over time. It's far from being a guaranteed overall best seller nowadays and I think they only have something like 4 more books which they can adapt.

Personally I never really liked it's brand of extreme characterization that in a lot of cases doesn't really make a whole lot of sense when you stop to think about it all, but that goes for that authors works period who I find writes himself into corners and comes across a bit like a fanfiction writer with how he likes to create these extreme examples of character tropes involved in extreme scenarios where people do extreme things (see Shinobu's backstory as just one example) so it's little surprise. I think really that's the main reason I've never liked any of his works much.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

Monogatari only releases 2 volumes in that time period, this list is a really bad way of comparing series to each other.

2 volumes for monogatari
4 for both Free! and Haikyuu!
6 for Shirobako
3 for JBA - stardust crusaders.
2 for Kuruko S3
5 for Yowapedal S2

None of the series have its total sales recorded by this list, so rather pointless to use it to compare them.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm taken back, how heck did Gundam Reconguista get on that list?

I guess it was popular enough for people to buy. Origin did well for mini-series OVA. Irregular at the magic high school should gotten higher score....

I take it Gundam Build Fighters Try didn't get on their because it was free on the internet or something or premiered too soon for it to qualify?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1