• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: God Eater Anime's TV Ad Previews Oldcodex Song

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
I don't know anything about God Eater, but... that animation! It's kind of freaking glorious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I don't know anything about God Eater, but... that animation! It's kind of freaking glorious.

I know right. It's not just the animation: it's the amazing artstyle behind it. Damn it looks good.

Not sure how good the show is, but something is telling me either it will be total crap or awesome. Not sure which it will turn out to be, as I haven't played either, but I hope it's the latter.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
Gonna be honest... ufotable productions do not impress me anymore in all honesty... it is incredible.... but looking forward to an anime just because its ufotable.... man i learned my lesson the hard way. Because of that, im giving this the 3 episode rule, with how utterly horrible and boring my experience with UBW has been, I don't actually even feel like giving this a go in being honest...

I understand people's love for faithful adaptations, but going at a damn slow pace that is so boring its confusing is not the faithful i like. Adapting 100+ pages an episode without cutting anything and doing it faithfully while adding a unique anime original dynamic that merges into the original material without forcing to separate itself... to me that's faithful. To me that shows the studio actually gives a shit about what they are creating. We get to see our scenes animated faithfully while getting something better and new, that is how i like my adaptations. (wooohooo Kekkai Sensen).

NOTE - This is my own PERSONAL opinion, if you can't accept it, please move on.... Thank you
dxthegreat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
NOTE - This is my own PERSONAL opinion, if you can't accept it, please move on.... Thank you

Who told u that u are allowed to voice a personal opinion? spoiler[jk]

tbh UBW's issue was -for the most part- not ufotable's fault. The storyboard was bland towards the end (and ofc, ufotable had an opportunity to improve here) but the issue was that there was too much internal dialogue that could not be skipped in the source material.

Sacrifice the dialogue and some of the characters' decisions would look contrived (still does... look at how Archer changed his mind). Keep the dialogue and it becomes boring.

In the end, ufotable did what they could. Alas, the animation was still pretty good.

I would wager that even if god eater turns out bland, ufotable will still deliver people brandishing their novelty sized swords in pristine cinematic quality~
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
The art style is very reminiscent to that of the game Renegade Ops (1, 2, 3, 4, 5).
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
Gonna be honest... ufotable productions do not impress me anymore in all honesty... it is incredible.... but looking forward to an anime just because its ufotable.... man i learned my lesson the hard way. Because of that, im giving this the 3 episode rule, with how utterly horrible and boring my experience with UBW has been, I don't actually even feel like giving this a go in being honest...

I understand people's love for faithful adaptations, but going at a damn slow pace that is so boring its confusing is not the faithful i like. Adapting 100+ pages an episode without cutting anything and doing it faithfully while adding a unique anime original dynamic that merges into the original material without forcing to separate itself... to me that's faithful. To me that shows the studio actually gives a shit about what they are creating. We get to see our scenes animated faithfully while getting something better and new, that is how i like my adaptations. (wooohooo Kekkai Sensen).

Ufotable is fine. I don't see why you're here posting comments if you don't watch Ufotable anymore.

Despite this being a CG-ish 3D work I find that I quite enjoy this art style and animation. Characters designs looks amazing too. Definitely will be giving Big Ass Weapons The Animation a try.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
The art style looks good for this series although I'm more curious to how they plan to adapt this..

Decent theme song I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:

Honestly the trick is not to get caught up in massive hyping campaigns and the like. There's nothing wrong with watching a show because it's by a studio that served you well in the past, but having realistic expectations and knowing what it is you're getting into goes a long way. Personally in just trying to ignore all the buzz, arguing and strong opinions by rigidly divided fans I found Fate UBW interesting enough at the start but not enough to continue to hold my interest by the time the 1st cour was winding down. Just didn't find myself identifying with or taking nearly as much interest in the characters as I did at the start and that's kind of just always been a problem I've had with Fate stories.

I find the prospects of ufoTABLE doing a non Type Moon show pretty interesting. For the first time since pretty much Coyote Ragtime Show almost a decade ago I believe everything that happens with a ufoTABLE show will have to come from what they make of it making it IMO the first true test at least from a Western fan perspective of where they're really at. Can they survive and thrive in the hearts and minds of Western fans unfamiliar with something like God Eater which has never seen it's games released outside of Japan without the likes of the rather intense Type-Moon fanbase bolstering the reception during the good times (pre-airing hype, first quarter or so) and negatively coloring it during the bad times (when it actually has to tackle the meet of it's story and cast later on) or are they just relying on the rather unique fervor fans show towards one very specific source work. Should prove very revealing. Personally I think it's well received but that a lot more realistic perspective on ufoTABLE and their place in the animation industry emerges thereafter.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I cannot wait for this.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Jackanapes wrote:

I find the prospects of ufoTABLE doing a non Type Moon show pretty interesting. For the first time since pretty much Coyote Ragtime Show almost a decade ago I believe everything that happens with a ufoTABLE show will have to come from what they make of it making it IMO the first true test at least from a Western fan perspective of where they're really at. Can they survive and thrive in the hearts and minds of Western fans unfamiliar with something like God Eater which has never seen it's games released outside of Japan without the likes of the rather intense Type-Moon fanbase bolstering the reception during the good times (pre-airing hype, first quarter or so) and negatively coloring it during the bad times (when it actually has to tackle the meet of it's story and cast later on) or are they just relying on the rather unique fervor fans show towards one very specific source work. Should prove very revealing. Personally I think it's well received but that a lot more realistic perspective on ufoTABLE and their place in the animation industry emerges thereafter.

Ufotable, as a studio, hasn't actually worked on a whole lot. Most of their work pre-Kara no Kyoukai is of a vastly different style and quality, and their most well-known works are indeed of the Type Moon variety. Even considering that this will be their first TV anime since then that's not Type Moon related, I think they need a couple more shows under their belt before we can make any sort of educated call on what they're like as a studio. Besides, regardless of popularity, they've shown they can animate and direct with the best of them. This will definitely be interesting, though.
kpk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Ufotable are above everyone else in animation!
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the animation for God Eater, I thought it was drawn in a semi-deliberate "unfinished" look, or something. But in a good way! As in, I thought "this looks like finely inked concept art brought to life; no way even ufotable is going to have the final product end up looking like this by the time it premieres ."

I guess I had missed the fact that it was going to be airing this July, not later. Very cool! It definitely distinguishes itself from other ufotable anime, not to mention other anime overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
The character arts below the video LOOK SO DAMN FINE! Especially the female characters.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:32 am Reply with quote
But these don't show much animation yet
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1