• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ojisan and Marshmallow Workplace Comedy Manga Gets Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wohdin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
God yes.

I am loving this trend of contemporarily "unattractive" male characters headlining in shoujo/josei romance series.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote
The character designs look cute. I'm not a huge fan of May-December romances in stories, but if CR gets it, I'll check this one out.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
a Slice-of-Life series set in a work place and the 2 leads are adults? Well, isn't that a fresh breeze of premise among the ever-increasing "the high-schooler adventures". Sign me up Smile
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
Probably a short (3-15 minutes per ep) like Husband is Saying.
For a moment I thought "marshmallow" was a new, fetishy term for "overweight woman", glad I was wrong!
garlogan78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
God yes.

I am loving this trend of contemporarily "unattractive" male characters headlining in shoujo/josei romance series.

I wouldn't mind an anime where it was an unattractive girl that the hot guy liked for once, though...
Blarmb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Learning to settle: The Anime.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:
I wouldn't mind an anime where it was an unattractive girl that the hot guy liked for once, though...

anime#11282
Blarmb wrote:

hahahaha, I'm curious how old the woman in this anime is.
Mhora

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
YESYESYES!
garlogan78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
garlogan78 wrote:

anime#11282
Blarmb wrote:

Tsukimi was beautiful though. All she needed was a makeover and the right clothes. Same with like, Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke. They aren't comparable to a fat middle aged office worker or like, the huge manly but not conventionally attractive Takeo from Ore Monogatari.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:
wohdin wrote:
God yes.

I guess Ore Monogatari counts as an off-screen example, considering appearance of Takeo's parents Laughing
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:50 pm Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
garlogan78 wrote:

anime#11282
Blarmb wrote:

Tsukimi was beautiful though. All she needed was a makeover and the right clothes. Same with like, Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke. They aren't comparable to a fat middle aged office worker or like, the huge manly but not conventionally attractive Takeo from Ore Monogatari.

There are plenty of cases where its an ugly girl hot guy but the character does not look it. I think the trope is called hollywood ugly and it stems in part from a. the author not being able to come up with a good design and b. not wanting alienate the audience, so they constantly reference that the character is homely or ugly, but for all intents purpose they look the same.

You also have the converse situation where authors make male character hideous and gonk to such a point that it would not really be possible in real life to further emphasis how ugly they are.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
garlogan78 wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
garlogan78 wrote:

anime#11282
Blarmb wrote:

There are plenty of cases where its an ugly girl hot guy but the character does not look it. I think the trope is called hollywood ugly and it stems in part from a. the author not being able to come up with a good design and b. not wanting alienate the audience, so they constantly reference that the character is homely or ugly, but for all intents purpose they look the same.

You also have the converse situation where authors make male character hideous and gonk to such a point that it would not really be possible in real life to further emphasis how ugly they are.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the trope. I just want an anime where the girl is actually not conventionally attractive, not just something where they can throw on some makeup or a different outfit and she gets hot.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
^I keep thinking of In Clothes Called Fat because the main character has a boyfriend even before she starts losing weight...but let's just say it wasn't presented as a healthy relationship.

I feel like josei manga must have an example of a conventionally unattractive woman/attractive man relationship. I think the MC in Kimi wa Pet/Tramps Like Us was supposed to be too tall to be desirable, but I never read it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:

Because it doesn't happen in real life.

garlogan78 wrote:

Even more unrealistic. Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
First of all, most couples aren't "even" in attractiveness in real life. But even if they were, when has reality ever stopped a mangaka or anime writer?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2