• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Cutie Honeys

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Captain Earth seemed like a show with potential (and animated by Bones), but it meandered in inconsistency and some mediocrity throughout its run. In my opinion the last few episodes improved significantly, but probably not enough to considered it a Good anime.

Still, if you are a fan of mecha, attractive visuals, action or wacky, bombastic shows like Valvrave, you might enjoy Captain Earth. I personally put Captain Earth in the Rental shelf.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Is this release of Kite uncensored? I didn't even know it was coming out till now.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, my collection has been featured! Thanks you so much, Shelf Life staff!
For anybody wondering, yes, those Fist of the North Star boxes are bootlegs. Only reason I'm keeping those is because the subs are hilariously bad.

OT: Gochuumon was a fun show. I think if it's coming to the UK I'll get it, but there's no rush for it or anything.

Soul Eater NOT! I thought was very average. Yes, it does manage to be cute and I like that, but for the rest pretty much everything was average. My biggest problem is that while the setting is in the Soul Eater world, it absolutely doesn't feel like it. The dark background styles from the original series are gone and replaced with blandness. Just that alone really put me off from the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Is this release of Kite uncensored? I didn't even know it was coming out till now.

It is not, so a waste of time for me.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

It's the edited version and also looks pretty bad because the second half had some scenes that were upscaled from SD masters and were handled terribly.

Here's a review/rant which also has screencaps:

http://www.kentaiblog.com/2014/12/flying-too-close-to-sun-media-blasters.html

I own the BD myself (along with the uncut special edition DVD) and the upscaled footage reminds me a bit of the censored violent scenes in the Fist of the North Star movie with the way they look in motion.

To make matters worse, Kite got a Blu-ray release in Japan a few months ago and not only was it a full upscale but certain things, NOT related to the H-scenes, were blurred out.

Here's a comparison between both Japanese & MB releases.

http://www.kentaiblog.com/2015/04/upscaled-embarassment-tale-of-two-kite.html (Might be NSFW)
bobob101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote
First off, I am very disappointed that you would use such a powerful pun and not actually have anything written about Cutie Honey. For shame! SHAME!

So Kite, it is quite a show huh? First off, there is no reason to ever watch Kite Liberator. It just plain sucks. As for the original, I don't think it is that bad at all. You can actually show the censored version to people without causing them to feel physically ill! As for the uncensored version... there is a reason why Yasuomi Umetsu occupies a similar place to me as Yoshiaki Kawajiri. He is a good director (of OAVs, I have never finished one of his TV shows) that makes high quality horrible stuff.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
I wonder if anyone will be upset with the spoiler in the Soul Eater NOT! review.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Oh boy, my collection has been featured!

Love that Pikachu N64! I gotta get my hands on one of those somehow...
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
Damn, I was briefly excited about this release... Sad

Those upscales look terrible. One reason why I haven't trusted Media Blasters with anything in the last several years.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
Oh, forgot that Kawai Complex was coming out! I pre-ordered it...but, obviously, did not keep track of its release date. Once that arrives, whatever I'm watching at the time will be put on hold. Will binge Kawai Complex!
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I wonder if anyone will be upset with the spoiler in the Soul Eater NOT! review.

If you are talking about Tsugumi's solution to her problem I was wondering if that might be a spoiler.
Well, that is not going to be my main reason for watching, so even if it is a spoiler it will not really bother me.

I like the review. It tells me enough to let me decide that I definitely do want to watch Soul Eater NOT!.
So far I have read the first two volumes of the manga, so I need to finish that too.
I like the original Soul Eater. I have read all of the manga and watched the anime twice. Since I am a big "moe" and cute-girls-doing-cute-things fan I am looking forward to this variation.

The review for Is the order a rabbit? makes me want to watch that too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka? was a lot of fun to me. I don't think it has any standout parts exactly, but it's just all around solid and enjoyable.
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree, Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka is a really good show. Its relaxing to watch after a stressful day, marathoning it is probably not the best way to watch it.
I really wish there was a heated pool near my house, with floating chessboards.

Also the Wii U is beautiful. If I had it, I would show it off too. Also I hope since they have a cd-i they have the Apprentice. Much better than the Zelda games.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
Love that Pikachu N64! I gotta get my hands on one of those somehow...
Thanks Smile

Wooga wrote:
Also the Wii U is beautiful. If I had it, I would show it off too. Also I hope since they have a cd-i they have the Apprentice. Much better than the Zelda games.
Unfortunately, I don't own The Apprentice, but it does look pretty fun. I do have Wand of Gamelon though... yay?
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

so did i. however one advice if you have never seen it before. DONT GET THE UNCENSORED VERSION!only get the edited theatrical version. unless you want to get scarred for life.

Bamboo Dong wrote:
Like A Certain Scientific Railgun, a big draw to Soul Eater Not! must be the pseudo-Sapphic interactions between the main girls.

just be glad its not a magical spinoff ala Pretty Sammy.though as a slice of life series, it'll never outdo Toaru Kagaku no Railgun

Quote:
Sure, they call each other “friends,” but let's be real – it's not platonic to be that obsessed with your gal pal's boobs.

Laughing True , BUT got two words for that. Kuroko Shirai. the only difference, the girls from NOT arent man hating lesbians like her. also its been the MO for spin off series where there are some yuri aspects involved. but its not over the top like in the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2