• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Opinion Question for Nana Fans.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashlielyn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:29 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge Nana fan. I've watched and read the series multiple times and I've always wanted other people's take on this question. Do you like Takumi's character and the relationship that Nana K. and he have? Do you think that he loves her?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote
I love Takumi. I think he's the most fascinating character in the series and that means he's always interesting to read. And I actually do think that, at least of the men we've seen Hachi with, he's the best choice because he does seem to have the best understanding of who she really is as a person (in contrast, Nobu had her on a pedastal which I think she liked until she realized it couldn't be maintained).

I also do think Takumi loves her, at least as much as he's able to. Reira will always come first though but yeah ... I do like Takumi and Hachi together and I want things to work out for them in the end (provided we get one of course Sad), though I don't think they will.
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
Takumi is so hard to read, but that's exactly why he's a great character - I think when he comes into the story Nana becomes a much more interesting series. To some extent, he reminds me of George from Ai Yazawa's Paradise Kiss, because they're both cold yet fascinating. I think his feelings for Hachi really stem from his other relationships, particularly with his mother and Reira. He says at one point that he tends to gravitate to cheerful people because they're so different from him, and we can see this with Hachi and Reira. On another hand, Ren teases him about having somewhat of a mothers-complex because his mom was sick for most of his life. I would say that I do think he loves Hachi, but that he's not in love with her, if that makes sense. But as for his feelings for Reira, those are a lot more complex and I don't think he understands them (or wants to admit them) himself, but at the very least I believe he needs Reira in a way Hachi can't fulfill.

With all of that being said, even though the future looks grim for the couple, I really think Takumi makes Hachi a stronger person, which is why I like them together.
ashlielyn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote
I feel the same way as you two. Personally I genuinely like Takumi but I always felt people wouldn't like him because of some of the things he does in the series. His character feels like the most well fomulated. His past makes sense of why the way he is, and does the things he does. With that being said, Takumi's realist view on the world and Nana's head always being in the clouds, I really feel like they balance eachother out. As for what you said cl-shojo, I agree with you about Takumi loving Nana but not being IN love with her. I don't think Takumi is the kind of person that would fall in love with someone though, given his past of not ever witnessing or experiencing what true love really is. I feel like him loving Nana is just as big of a step as being in love with someone.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I do think Takumi loves Nana (whether he's in love with her will always be up for debate, though). And if the only alternative Nana has is a relationship with Nobu, then Takumi is definitely a better choice. They really balance each other out and she's grown so much in the time they've spent together. It is a realistic relationship in contrast to the idealistic one she had with Nobu. Nana and Nobu had puppy love. Nana and Takumi has a family and a bond fueled by mutual understanding.

The only other option better than Takumi for Nana is for her to leave him for Nana O. However, since she has a family to care for and everything, this probably isn't possible.
ashlielyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
Wiesteria wrote:
The only other option better than Takumi for Nana is for her to leave him for Nana O. However, since she has a family to care for and everything, this probably isn't possible.

You're soo right, that would be be so romantic if she didn't already have a family with Takumi.
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Wiesteria wrote:
Quote:
And if the only alternative Nana has is a relationship with Nobu, then Takumi is definitely a better choice. They really balance each other out and she's grown so much in the time they've spent together. It is a realistic relationship in contrast to the idealistic one she had with Nobu. Nana and Nobu had puppy love.
I definietely agree. I know a lot of people wanted Hachi to choose Nobu, but I could never get behind them because it was obvious Hachi was more in love with the idea of being in love than actually having feelings for Nobu. Besides, Takumi is such an interesting character that I'd much prefer to see why he is the way he is than Hachi and Nobu being lovey-dovey. And there are many sweet scenes between Takumi and Hachi, like when they make up after their argument at Reira's birthday party in volume 13.[/quote]
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I like Takumi as a character. He's a dick sometimes, but hey, that's life. I think he loves Nana as much as anyone who's kinda a douchebag can love anyone. I think she provides him with some sort of connection and emotion that he can't get elsewhere and he greatly appreciates her for that. Whether it's love or not, I can never tell.

Are they making new chapters of Nana? The last one I read was years ago and then the writer got sick and the series went on hiatus.
ashlielyn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Are they making new chapters of Nana? The last one I read was years ago and then the writer got sick and the series went on hiatus.

Ai Yazawa still doesn't know if she'll finishes the series, nor has she updated the public about it as far as I know. I think she's still trying to get better and take a break from the pressures of reading a manga. Every now and then I try to look on the Internet for new infomation about her and how she's doing.
lily_evans

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I am kind of so so with Takumi because sometimes he can be a total dickhead,and he just pisses me off.I personally am not a big fan of the relationship with them(and probably the only one).I really do get what you guys are saying about Nobu and Nana K. having puppy love, but I kind of thought they had a balance to them.There personality types are quit simlar witch I found a good thing,cause they had more of understanding to each other.I kind of also thought that Nobu was the best for Nana K. because she seemed the most happiest with him. Also I really don't know if Takumi loved Nana or not because he was a pretty hard character to read.So it was like sometimes I thought he did and others I wasn't so sure.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Locked for necroposting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1