• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Hosts 'Look at Dragon Ball Super' at New York Comic Con

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for the dub of this.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess they'll announce that they have the license at Comic Con. And maybe it'll be on Toonami? Wink
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad to not be a Dragon Ball huge fan because for whatever reasons they had, Funimation not being able to simulcast DBS the day it premiered in Japan is BULLSHIT.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this seems to be a pretty indirect way of Funimation saying they have Dragon Ball Super. Really though,they would've gotten it sooner or later.

My guess is that there was some term that was unacceptable to Funimation (like the asking price being too high) and they couldn't come to an agreement until recently.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
If Funimation has not acquired Dragon Ball Super by the timing of this panel I do not know if I will be able to restrain myself from infiltrating Toei headquarters and demanding action.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
So they're gonna super old school on this huh? In a way, it's surprisingly progressive on piracy/fansubs. By not providing a simulcast while knowing that for sure this series would be fansubbed, they have basically left it up to the discretion of the audience while they, apparently, intend to focus all their money and energy on building a complete product for the West. Basically, they had bigger fish to fry.

Dubbed DBS isn't being handled like your standard licensed import, given the buzz and success of RoF (and to a lesser extent BoG) the DB franchise has been propelled into position where it kind of transcends it's previous environment, if that makes sense? Like it didn't get bigger than the anime industry..but at the same time it kinda did, or at least its producers feel the iron is hot enough to strike in a way that most anime wouldn't have the ability to?

Not to say a simulcast would have hurt any of this but it's possible that Funimation (or Toei?) felt that it would have infringed on them continuing the hype train that was RoF by receding back to strictly a streamed format? They want this bad boy on TV, most likely on Toonami, with as much of the original dub cast returning as possible and cementing that dub DBZ's identity is not that of just a language option.

Of course, it's also entirely possible they didn't think this far ahead and knew that the easiest route to success was putting this on Toonami. Obviously no Dragon Ball Series has ever been simulcasted, they might have felt that there was no reason to start now.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I do not know if I will be able to restrain myself from infiltrating Toei headquarters and demanding action.

You might as well burn down the place while you are at it (just make sure no one is there). These days every time the name Toei comes up something bad is happening.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
So they're gonna super old school on this huh? In a way, it's surprisingly progressive on piracy/fansubs. By not providing a simulcast while knowing that for sure this series would be fansubbed, they have basically left it up to the discretion of the audience while they, apparently, intend to focus all their money and energy on building a complete product for the West. Basically, they had bigger fish to fry.

Dubbed DBS isn't being handled like your standard licensed import, given the buzz and success of RoF (and to a lesser extent BoG) the DB franchise has been propelled into position where it kind of transcends it's previous environment, if that makes sense? Like it didn't get bigger than the anime industry..but at the same time it kinda did, or at least its producers feel the iron is hot enough to strike in a way that most anime wouldn't have the ability to?

Not to say a simulcast would have hurt any of this but it's possible that Funimation (or Toei?) felt that it would have infringed on them continuing the hype train that was RoF by receding back to strictly a streamed format? They want this bad boy on TV, most likely on Toonami, with as much of the original dub cast returning as possible and cementing that dub DBZ's identity is not that of just a language option.

Of course, it's also entirely possible they didn't think this far ahead and knew that the easiest route to success was putting this on Toonami. Obviously no Dragon Ball Series has ever been simulcasted, they might have felt that there was no reason to start now.

There's also the fact that this is one of the few anime to have a major audience outside of the regular western anime fanbase. They want to make sure they get those guys too.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

There's also the fact that this is one of the few anime to have a major audience outside of the regular western anime fanbase. They want to make sure they get those guys too.

That's what I mean, those guys spend money and want to see DB on TV, while streaming is a viable platform for everyone I think Funi wanted to provide them content in a manner they're most comfortable with. It's kind of hard to sell these people on a big screen theatrical run for RoF and then say "Watch the TV series....on our streaming site!", it's a bit of a buzzkill.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
These days every time the name Toei comes up something bad is happening.

Ironically, they made what is regarded by various people to be the first modern anime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I hope they take the same approach with the English dub of Super as they had with Kai, Battle of Gods, and Resurrection F. Namely, scripts mostly accurate to the Japanese ones, bringing in new voice actors when necessary, better direction, no replacement music, etc.

I've been watching the Japanese version, which is why I'm not clamoring for the English version thus far (especially since right now they're mostly just retelling BoG with a lower budget), but when they do dub it, I hope they stick to respecting the material, and don't backslide into trying to be too "creative" with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nirocart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote
I hope that Funimation fixes the terrible animation in Episode 5.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
Nirocart wrote:
I hope that Funimation fixes the terrible animation in Episode 5.

That's Toei's job. Funimation can only license, dub, and distribute.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
Considering that this is Funi's longest cash cow, I would be surprised if Toei were to offer to some other company. DBZ is a large gateway anime to US and Canadian fans (by extension, Ocean and Funi had a factor in this).
Anime Hero25

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:56 am Reply with quote
So GT is now non canon?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2