• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Konami Denies Report of Hideo Kojima Leaving Company

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goober2049

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
At this point I almost WANT Konami to keep digging deeper just because I want to see how far the rabbit hole goes.

They've already taken the red pill, there's no turning back anymore.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
Well, Konami? WHICH IS IT?! Twisted Evil
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
Yes... A vacation... To the farm...
https://youtu.be/qRkR8e2C3BE?t=48s
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
Whatever is officially said from Konami probably cannot be trusted. It's not like their issues aren't not known.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
americananimotk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
"Long vacation" or more likely permanent vacation.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
Could Konami be any more honest (applied with sarcasm)? Seriously, just say you fired Kojima. It will save you all from further mockery. God, the lengths Konami goes to try and defend their name when all they do is give more reasons to be mocked and/or sh*t on.
scchan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:05 am Reply with quote
There are businesses that are frank about their struggles and problems, and asked for patience from its clients and shareholders (IBM or Walmart). Sadly, many prefer just instant gratifications.

There are businesses which work like a personality cult (the Cult of Steve Jobs, Jack Ma, Hiroshi Mikitani and Jeff Bezos). The cult icon gets a much larger room for mistakes and people will still forgive them.

There are businesses just have operates next to the Nile... (Konami)
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:06 am Reply with quote
I get the sense that after all the fan backlash they've gotten over the Kojima debacle along with the money they're making off of MGSV they've come to realize how bad for business this could become and are now scrambling to get him back.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:47 am Reply with quote
Well, Konami has to maintain their innocence somehow...

In any case, they may as well admit their fall-outs; there's no hiding them anymore.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Well, Konami has to maintain their innocence somehow...

In any case, they may as well admit their fall-outs; there's no hiding them anymore.

Lots of companies will try to maintain their innocence. Sure, you might want to uphold your reputation but I think it's better that a company potentially compromise their rep by being honest than further dig a hole and be dishonest/denial.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I get the sense that after all the fan backlash they've gotten over the Kojima debacle along with the money they're making off of MGSV they've come to realize how bad for business this could become and are now scrambling to get him back.

My thoughts as well.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:17 am Reply with quote
Reading a few Japanese news sites talking about this on my phone earlier, most of the people commenting who are pretty knowledgeable about Japanese business said that Konami's denial is pretty standard business stuff. Yes, he's gone. We all know he's gone. They know they're only saving face and that most of us know he's gone. But if they don't save face, they could face legal contract-breaking problems. Kojima probably broke the contract himself, with their mutual involvement, but they don't want to puncture his record and he doesn't want to puncture their record, so they're mutually agreeing on the "extrended vacation" and foreigners trying to expose the lie are just going to make this process more difficult for both parties.

Aside from the obvious disliking of foreigners prying into Japanese business claims, it makes sense that they probably had to do some not-so preferable things to break the contract legally. I still think his reputation is big enough that a contract break is not going to soil it, but while I do know a lot about Japanese business, I don't know enough to comment on the way the businesses in the gaming industry work their employee contracts. Well, especially Konami. So whatever.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
An extended vacation after what appears to be a volatile working relationship, and from a company that reportedly monitors people's break times? Also followed by comments that Mat Metal Gear could continue without Kojima? I don't know, this comes off like the company is hoping they can phase out Kojima quietly and that the public will lose interest waiting for an official announcement that will likely never come.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
To be fair, that could be a MGSV launch party.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:13 am Reply with quote
Plot twist: Kojima created a clone of himself, Liquid Kojima, to make Konami believe he is staying
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3