• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
vylo wrote:
1. SD Gundam - If someone offered me 500 dollars to watch this, I would turn them down, and probably punch them. The most god awful thing to happen to anime and media as a whole. I can't say anything more about it, because that would require it to have something of value. Avoid this at all costs.

SD Gundam Force or the old 80s SD Gundam parody shorts? There is a difference. Also, I'd like you to give real reasons, and not just this "OH IT'S SO BAD I JUST CAN'T DESCRIBE IT" bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ObsidianButterfly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
10 Favs:

1. RahXephon: Perfect... for me there's RahXephon and then all the rest. The story is amazing, the animation beautiful and the soundtrack... well, the soundtrack is stunning. I HATE when people refer to it as a simple mecha anime,RahXephon is so much more. Voltron, for instance, IS a mecha anime. Is this any similar???

2. Cowboy Bebop: really cool story, loved the references through out the series. The characters are fabulous and really engaging. The OST is also very good.

3. Zion - I wish you were here: four great OVAs. I loved them, the characters are quite interesting, even though some of them you just rush by, but the main ones are incredible, so delicate yet so strong...

4. Evangelion: such a classic... Curiously I watched RahXephon first and then Evangelion and if I thought RahXephon was something unique my opinion hasn't changed. I think Evangelion is the other face of the coin: same piece but completely different. I appreciate the underlying philosophical issues.

5. Basilisk: ninja action in Edo-era, bizarre characters, mystery, suspense and a killing opening theme. Does is get any better? Yes, it has romance.

6. Soul Taker: the best thing is definitely the aesthetic through out the series,
visually it is full of references (mainly christian), some characters are also quite
interesting, I like Kyosuke best, but that's just me. The ending theme is also great.

7. Rurouni Kenshin: this is one of the first animes I watched, which could have been dangerous considering I was really young and this can be quite a violent series. Yet, I love it, it's the main reason why I like anime so much these days. The images are very beautiful, even in the bloodiest scenes. The plot is also really interesting and it remained in my memory to this day, which has to mean something considering it was more then ten years ago.

8. Dragon Ball: second trip down memory lane... This was the second anime I watched (Sailor Moon was the first, this the second, Saint Seya 3rd and then Rurouni Kenshin). No need to tell that the simple dialogues and the stunning action impressed this four-year-old (that was my age when they first aired here in Portugal) to the point that I've never stopped watching it ever since. I've now watched everything there's to watch on DragonBall (I think...) and I'm not yet tired.

9. Ghost in the Shell S.A.C.: cool detective story. The conception of this near future is really great. The only thing I got deceptioned about was the fact that there's no 3D animation, something I expected because of the images during the opening them. Again the soundtrack is fabulous, but it's Yoko Kanno's so... I kinda already expected it.

10. Hellsing/ Urusei Yatsura (Lum): I like this two equally, for very different reason, obviously, but I simply couldn't distinguish between them, they both deserve this place. Hellsing because it's one of my favourite styles, with action (violence...), fabulous chara design and hypnotic soundtrack, plus Arucard is powerful a character and mixed with others that are as cool as bizarre; Lum on the other hand s pure laugh, it's the funniest thing I've ever watched: hilarious, guaranteed entertainment.

5 Worst:

1. Last Exile: Boring... Besides it's completely ridiculous because kids can't do half the stuff Klaus can, there's no point in putting children in what should be a teen/adult role. All that plot would result way better if the heroes were older, I mean, they give the characters maturity that is far beyond their possibilities. And it’s moe-ish. So it turns out... Boring...

2. Medabots: okay, this had potential. Had... after the first episode it's all ruined. First the action takes place in the 27th century but hopefully it all seems just out of the 21st (Thank God for this small miracles!). More, the characters aren't particularly creative and to tell the truth not the episodes. And if the first series is pathetic what to say about the second? Better not to comment, I already think I'm a masochist just to have watched an episode.

3.Najica: nothing but sexist. International espionage used as a pretext for young girls to show their panties. There's absolutely nothing interesting here.

4. Tokyo Mew Mew: as far as I'm concerned don't bother watching as it has nothing worth to spend time with. The characters are rather deficient, flat and they don't work well together making the show weird to watch as the songs are always claiming team work and stuff like that. 2nd, the so-called "monsters" are ridiculous: they clearly resemble 2nd hand Sailor Moon ones, also their shape is completely random. More, there's absolutely not a small hint of drama/tension or any emotion, actually - I know this is a show intended for kids but kids understand emotions too (I hate when people think kids are stupid just because they're kids). And lastly, why in hell call the show Tokyo Mew Mew
if there's no big signs of the action taking place in Tokyo and then "Mew Mew"? Are you kidding me? Mew Mew is meant for a cat and only one of the girls is a cat (or half a cat...). And believe me, there's no fantastic chara design that could save this-

5. I could name so many... LetsNGo, Battle B-Damon, Pokemon, all series of Digimon after the first 2...

All the others: Well, I don't like them mainly because they're silly, too silly, sometimes actually insulting my intelligence. LetsNGo is pretty childish, I guess I could only have enjoyed it if I was 2-3 years old and it wouldn't last; Battle B-Damon is applying a format similar to Beyblade (for instance) but to younger characters and with a rather basic plot, the chara design also leaves a lot to criticism; Pokemon is watch one series and you get fully educated on the whole subject, the others are just boring remakes good only to sell video games to impressionable children; Digimon, I actually enjoyed the first series: the characters are interesting enough and actually show some depth, the second is also watchable but starting from there it's always the same thing all over again. Still, of all my least favourite least Digimon is the best.

EDIT: Added additional explanations from future post.~Zalis]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

I'm sorry this is OT but I have to ask, if you hate it so much why is your name Chrno2 and your avatar OF Chrono? That's like saying I hate the color blue then painting your whole bloody house in different shades of blue.

This is the reason why folks take time to read a person's post before commenting. Personally, I didn't think folks spent all that time reading them in the first place as they're pretty long.

It was obvious what I stated. I hated the 'Chrono Crusade' anime, THE ANIME. Isn't that what we're talking about? I LOVE the manga. Which is why I HATE the anime. Which is why my avatar is from the MANGA and NOT the anime.

BUT... I'm not the type of person that goes around bashing a show someone else likes. I try to at least give a reason why I dislike it and that's it. Short and simple. If someone doesn't like a show I like, then big deal. I'm not going to argue with them about hating it. And I'm not going to go around and try to influence them into my way of thinking. I've seen the "ugly" from people who do this. It's not fair. Sad Sad

To those who watched the anime I'm sure they thought it was good. I NEVER said that it wasn't. And I DAMN sure NEVER stated it sucked. I just didn't like it's adaption. Which is reason why I stated that if you're a fan of the manga you should never view it's anime adaption and expect it to be the same. Just from this painful lesson and 'Harry Potter' I had relearn how to deal with the two separate mediums on a case by case situation.

Last edited by Chrno2 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
-Castle in the Sky
-Kiki's Delivery Service
-My Neighbor Totoro
-Nausicaa[/b]

(I don't need to explain the above.

The hell you don't. Like I've said a thousand times, what's obvious to you might not be obvious to everyone, and nobody universally agrees on everything, so get to typing or your whole post vanishes.

You're right.

-Castle in the Sky First 'Miyazaki' feature I ever saw. Saw the first dub version. I was immediately taken in so much by this film that I saw it 3 times. While it might be considered as good to some, I felt that this feature had a great story. It had a beginning a middle and an end. Beautfiul animation and backgrounds. Joe Hisaishi's music a plus. And my first real exposure and attraction to 'Miyazaki' when seeing his children characters take on humongous roles that normally adults would handle. Castle In the Sky is still my favorite. I enjoyed the old dub much better than the newer one. And finally had the chance to see actual Japanese version. It sort of ranks up there with those kid features that you saw in the 80's. But it's a great feature. The interesting thing is seeing how this show had a very close connection with 'Nadia'. But that's a another story.

-Kiki's Delivery Service My third 'Miyazaki' film. After all who sends their kids out into the world. Is that what they did back then. A really fun coming of age story. Really, loved all the characters. But watching Kiki grow as the film progresses was enjoyable as well. Going out into world, making friends, dealing with the everyday life of being young, and young love. The thing that always got me in this film was that people had no problem that she was a witch. Weird. You gotta love it.

-My Neighbor Totoro This was my 2nd feature. It took me a while to get into this one because I don't think I was aware that there was more to the story than just the kids running into a big fuzzy critter. In many ways it reminds you someone what to things in 'Alice in Wonderland'. The grinning cat bus. But all in all whille cute and cuddly, it deals with some mature issues.

-Nausicaa This was one feature that I had been wanting to see for a long time. Again another that sort of overlooked. The references and storied I would hear would have me pondering about one day seeing it. Yeah, it's old, compared to stuff now. But after I watched the first half of the feature I was like, "whoa, the princess is loved by all and can kick ass." I immediately fell in love with her. Didn't see it coming. And the animation just blew me away. I'm a big fan on strong female characters, and 'Nausicaa' is on my list for that. Showing that one can be compassionate and strong at the same time. Great cast of characters too all with background. I guess you can say that this one maybe one of the first dealing with the whole eco system going awry and people seeking not only the truth but ability to co-exist along side it.

The one thing I love about the older 'Miyazaki' films is their devotion to hand animation. While CG is good sometimes, I sort of miss seeing the old fashioned stuff. Either I'm being nostalgic or I enjoy looking back on animation history.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

It was obvious what I stated. I hated the 'Chrono Crusade' anime, THE ANIME. Isn't that what we're talking about? I LOVE the manga. Which is why I HATE the anime. Which is why my avatar is from the MANGA and NOT the anime.

To those who watched the anime I'm sure they thought it was good. I NEVER said that it wasn't. And I DAMN sure NEVER stated it sucked. I just didn't like it's adaption. Which is reason why I stated that if you're a fan of the manga you should never view it's anime adaption and expect it to be the same. Just from this painful lesson and 'Harry Potter' I had relearn how to deal with the two separate mediums on a case by case situation.

Well I happen to rank the general plot/storyline very high in my list of what I like to watch/read, maybe the person above finds it hard to believe that you could love the manga, but "hate" something that closely resembles it. Having never read the manga I cannot be certain, but usually the same general sort of thing happens with just a few differences in the plot. Your lucky not to have seen the dud animes I've been subjected too, otherwise this definatly wouldn't have been on your list.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:

Well I happen to rank the general plot/storyline very high in my list of what I like to watch/read, maybe the person above finds it hard to believe that you could love the manga, but "hate" something that closely resembles it. Having never read the manga I cannot be certain, but usually the same general sort of thing happens with just a few differences in the plot. Your lucky not to have seen the dud animes I've been subjected too, otherwise this definatly wouldn't have been on your list.

Hahaha!!! Well, I'm sure I got a few dud anime shows in my collection too. I'm a simple person and have mixed feelings about shows I'll watch. Good or bad, whatever floats my boat. I mean, I like 'Gaogaigar'. And if you want a dud try 'Tattoon Master'. Or better yet, my 'Millenium Actress' to 'Grenadier'. Both of which I like. See my point.

But if you're interested check out the 'CC' manga. You'll see how much different they are. To be honest I can't totally blame 'Gonzo' for what they chose to do. The book was one chapter away from being finished and they wanted to do a anime. So of course things had to be changed. Hell, even the artist said it was different from what he did. And we won't talk about 'Bokurano' either. Laughing Happens all the time. The only anime adaptions that I've been happy with were 'Berserk' and 'Narutaru'. They were about as close to their manga adaptions that would be allowed. Both of which I enjoyed. Should have put 'Berserk' on the list. But I guess I was thinking of something old something new and some that makes me nostalgically giddy.

But enough about that. Let's get back to top 10 and least 5. Wink
xiaoxu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:43 am Reply with quote
Kaguzuchi wrote:
Quote:
frentymon

Most otaku don't care for mainstream titles like Bleach...you know that, right?

Alot of people don't like Bleach now. But thats mainly due to over saturation of the title due to fillers and like you mentioned, it becoming mainstream (which seems to make it less special for some reason..at least for me anyway)
But, before the fillers and it's license in America, it really was a great anime (otaku or not)with interesting twist and great action scenes. (ie, the story pretty much picks up after episode 20 or so) I should also note that I stopped watching before any of the fillers came on so i remember only the good parts.

yea...the fillers are wad makes it bad...but as for the reason...theres enough fighting and a good storyline to keep it going...sides the majority has the same view as mine...(rated in top 10 most popular)....tho...guess i shld take bak wad i said abt no being a fan if u dont watch it....still....its too great an anime not to watch...those wove watched it agree wif me rite?? >.<
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:00 am Reply with quote
xiaoxu wrote:
guess i shld take bak wad i said abt no being a fan if u don't watch it

yes. Also, maybe you should try speaking english. Believe it or not, filling those few extra letters wont take very long.

Quote:
its too great an anime not to watch...those wove watched it agree wif me rite?? >.<

As a person who has watched it I can say no, I dont agree with you. Also, I didn't even actually get to the filler episodes before losing interest. Perhaps its just due to different preferences. I guess for what ever reason, it really appeals to you.

sorry, but no matter how much you like it, its a massive assumption to say that everyone will.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
nikandros

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:10 am Reply with quote
I actually like the bleach filler when it actually works towards character development. What I don't like is pointless filler. The mentality that all filler is horrible and a waste is sort of wrong, well written filler that leads to character development is as good as the regular series.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
ObsidianButterfly wrote:
2. Medabots: simply ridiculous

4.Tokyo Mew Mew: crappy PETA version of Sailor Moon. Boring...

5. I could name so many... LetsNGo, Battle B-Damon, Pokemon, all series of Digimon after the first 2...

You do such a great job with describing your favorites, then you give us this for your least favorites. Please try again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ObsidianButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Okay, in reply to Nagisa:

Medabots: okay, this had potential. Had... after the first episode it's all ruined. First the action takes place in the 27th century but hopefully it all seems just out of the 21st (Thank God for this small miracles!). More, the characters aren't particularly creative and to tell the truth not the episodes. And if the first series is pathetic what to say about the second? Better not to comment, I already think I'm a masochist just to have watched an episode.

Tokyo Mew Mew: as far as I'm concerned don't bother watching as it has nothing worth to spend time with. The characters are rather deficient, flat and they don't work well together making the show weird to watch as the songs are always claiming team work and stuff like that. 2nd, the so-called "monsters" are ridiculous: they clearly resemble 2nd hand Sailor Moon ones, also their shape is completely random. More, there's absolutely not a small hint of drama/tension or any emotion, actually - I know this is a show intended for kids but kids understand emotions too (I hate when people think kids are stupid just because they're kids). And lastly, why in hell call the show Tokyo Mew Mew
if there's no big signs of the action taking place in Tokyo and then "Mew Mew"? Are you kidding me? Mew Mew is meant for a cat and only one of the girls is a cat (or half a cat...). And believe me, there's no fantastic chara design that could save this-

All the others: Well, I don't like tem mainly because they're silly, too silly, sometimes actually insulting my intelligence. LetsNGo is pretty childish, I guess I could only have enjoyed it if I was 2-3 years old and it wouldn't last; Battle B-Damon is applying a format similar to Beyblade (for instance) but to younger characters and with a rather basic plot, the chara design also leaves a lot to criticism; Pokemon is watch one series and you get fully educated on the whole subject, the others are just boring remakes good only to sell video games to impressionable children; Digimon, I actually enjoyed the first series: the characters are interesting enough and actually show some depth, the second is also watchable but starting from there it's always the same thing all over again. Still, of all my least favourite least Digimon is the best.
PhntmDrk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Lucky Star - It's one of those weird shows that you just watch because it's so weird, but it's a comedy show that's similar to Azumanga Daioh. u have 4 main characters and it centers around their life in high school, and as the story progresses they go into their 2nd and 3rd years of high school.

Lovely Complex - an anime based in the kansai region, a girl who's really tall, Risa Koizumi 172cm, and a boy who's short, Astushi Otani 156cm. at the beginning each of them are trying to help the other find a boyfriend/girlfriend, but as they spend more time together Koizumi realizes that she has feelings for Otani, and the majority is about the ensuing complications

Case Closed - detective anime about Shinichi (Jimmy) Kudo and about how he shrunk and the cases he solves

Shakugan no Shana - one of those anime that has a little bit of everything, action, some comedy, and the romantic atmosphere. a girl without a name protects a "torch," their soul was taken away and it remains as a filler, his name is Yuji and he has a special item in his torch which restores lost energy at midnight. he gives the girl a name, Shana, named after the long sword she carries with her, and the story just progresses through what happens after that.

these are definitely the favorites that i can pick out, the many other anime that i watch are great, but it would take forever to mention all of them
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
PhntmDrk, what we're asking for are the reasons why you like these shows. All you've given us here are plot summaries, which don't really tell us anything about why you like these shows, sorry. Please try again.
DJcream

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote
Naming my favorites and least are kinda hard, then again i haven't tried so recently...

Favorites:
10. Yakitate Japan! - It's a show about bread making. Who knew that such a show would be so fun watching? Filled with Japanese humor and mouth-watering bread, YJ is a very refreshing series that I wished continue on longer.
9. King of Fighters: Another Day - Usually, anime based on games tend to be garbage. KoF's art is genuine as Falcoon, the lead artist of the game, does the art of the series. Add some well animated scenes and the series is perfect...for being a 4-part OVA that's 6-minutes long.
8. Higurashi no Naku Koroni (Kai) - The first season of the show was a total trip and had me cringing my teeth to how horrifying certain scenes were. Like a train wreck, I couldn't help but watch more of it. I'm so glad that the second season is filling in all of the plot holes of the first season, otherwise it wouldn't be on my top 10.
7. Kanon - I'm a fan of Kyoto Animation's work due to their production quality. Kanon is the perfect example as KyoAni does an outstanding job making a winter setting, the show's motif, tie in so beautifully to the sad-girls-in-snow description.
6. Azumanga Daioh - Shear comedy gold. Every character is just has really good chemistry including Yukari-sensei, a teacher I'd love to have. If Lucky Star could just not rely on Haruhi and other anime references then it would be as innocent as Azumanga Daioh. BTW, the end make me cry, a task only accomplished by one other series...
5. Genshiken - I love the original idea of following a typical anime club and make it entertaining enough that otakus would care. Add to that the genius DVD extras and Genshiken is one of my favorites. If only the DVD art had more of a central theme to keeps the DVDs look similar.
4. My-Hime - I don't think I've ever seen a series that combines action, romance and drama in a way this anime does. The anime is completely flawless in that sense but the lack of character attachment I had with Mai just isn't there unlike my Top 3.
3. Air TV - Back to sentimental animes, this is the second anime that has made me cry. The reason why this is so high is that it is the only anime to make me cry TWICE during the 12-episode series. Drama is great and a true tear jerker.
2. Haruhi Suzumiya - I'm pretty sure everything has been said about this series so don't be surprised to see another Harutard.
1. Fighting Spirits (Hajime no Ippo) - Due to it's awesome action sequences in the ring, the series really surprised me by being really funny and adding drama outside of the ring. Really good series, especially if you're a guy,

The worst:
3. Powerpuff Girls Z - It made a tolerable American show into the kiddiest pile of defaced garbage.
2. Tekken Movie - Low production quality and crap story
1. Himesama Goyoujin - After watching the first half of the first episode, I felt like drop-kicking a baby for how horrible the art, story, music and especially the characters were.
Buuck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
in no particular order

voices of a distant star
i loved the story i thought it was very well done and the animation i found to be done very well too its very sad that happened to them spoiler[ not being able to talk except through texts and it takes years to send and receive]

grave of the fireflies
i loved this movie i thought the charicters were really well done the story was great how its the near the end of ww2 in japan and the troubles everyone had although really sad i think its a must watch

read or die (oav)
although its 3 episodes i thought it was able to get the story done withough seeming rushed and the idea was really neat/bizzare to control paper

full metal alchemist
i loved this anime i thought it was dark and very deep with many things that make you think and the brother bond is very tight with an overall very good story the cast of charictars i thought were all very well done and all had very good roles

death note
this was one of the coolest animes I've seen i loved the battleing between L and kira and the whole overall plans they had against eachother spoiler[ although it was very sad to see L go ] but still think overall was still good

trigun
loved this anime vash is so cool and i loved what he stands for. its got laughs and action. when wolfwood shows up i thought it got even better. peace&love

samurai champloo
this anime was really cool i loved the animation and fighting scenes the story was really interesting i thought and i love how they spoiler[ all learned to change themselves and how it made me think both jin and mugen were gonna die]

howls moving castle
this i thought was such a good movie the charictares i thought were all really cool and the story i thought was done well loved turnip head haha and i did like the animation

she and her cat
it may be only 5 minuets long but there was something i liked about it a lot maby just cause its all the cats perspective on the life of him and his owner i thought it was really cool

now and then, here and there
i liked this one mostly cause it put someone with strong morals agains alot of people whos morals have diminished and he doesnt change his ways not the best animation but i still loved the story

least favorites
no order

DBZ
never liked the long stare downs and the waiting involeved with the show. although i used to watch it i just think i got real tierd of it

naruto
i cannot stand filler and i dont want to watch like 300 episodes (im not sure what number there up to now) i hear its good but i really dislike filler

inuyasha
it seems like inuyasha and kagomi are always fighting inuyasha pouts and then hunting for thos shards i hear the story is solid but from what I've seen it seems kinda repetitive[/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 68 of 122