• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
Definitely my favorite FMP series. For my money, this franchise has always worked best as a comedy. I re-watch it every other year or so, and as Rebecca said, it holds up admirably.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
This series ruins the great effect that the first season created- namely that Sousuke knew he was overreacting, he just didn't care because of the mission he was on. But no, for sake of humor, he couldn't learn anything so instead of coming off as a stone faced "not a problem" kind of dude in the face of real danger or a fan wielding Chidori, he's an idiot. Let's see if I can sum up the problem I have: He took the abuse in FMP because that was his job but with FUMOFFU, it was the point of the series.

It doesn't diminish the first series but I am hoping the two Kyoto Animation series get swept under the rug with the reboot.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca wrote:
[Fumoffu] is just as much fun as it ever was

Which means that I probably still won't like it. I bought the discs as part of an order during one of those RightStuf clearance sales with 25 ADV DVDs for $100. I watched it once and promptly either gave away the discs or threw them away, since I found the show to be painful to watch. The humor was okay during FMP!, but Fumoffu! wasn't able to pull a laugh out of me, and only got me to smirk once or twice...

I loved TSR, and am cautiously optimistic about the upcoming FMP! project.

Quote:
it still does have hints of those darker elements in the symbolism of the opening theme

You seem to be writing about the opening animation/sequence, rather than the song itself (not that I have any recollection of the lyrics).
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
This series ruins the great effect that the first season created- namely that Sousuke knew he was overreacting, he just didn't care because of the mission he was on. But no, for sake of humor, he couldn't learn anything so instead of coming off as a stone faced "not a problem" kind of dude in the face of real danger or a fan wielding Chidori, he's an idiot. Let's see if I can sum up the problem I have: He took the abuse in FMP because that was his job but with FUMOFFU, it was the point of the series.

It doesn't diminish the first series but I am hoping the two Kyoto Animation series get swept under the rug with the reboot.

well that was the whole point of the series. it was meant to be a slapstick comedy at the expense of sousuke.

and it definitely worked preety well. if you were talking about its manga counterpart then you would have a point,but the anime version is definitely spot on and 100% shelf worthy.

Quote:
− Tessa episodes drag a little, especially the first one. Mispronunciations in the dub, yakuza episode also a bit slow. Bonta-kun joke gets a little old by the end.

wouldnt necessarily call that a negative since this series i meant to be a comedy/romance series instead of the more darker tone from the first FMP and the second raid.

for one thing that 1st season also showed tessa having feelings for him but of course she never showed it which is why this series is perfect. also to be frank the whole thing with her,kaname and that idiot is actually more like a three way love triangle instead of a harem since its only two girls. in a way kinda like a "psuedo harem" instead of a full on harem with multiple girls going after him. and i wouldnt say that the bonta jokes are old.

A little overboard?yes but definitely not old and their still LOL to this day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to watching this season. I've not watched the first one, and will get that eventually, but Fumoffu and The Second Raid were on sale on Madman's website...since the total came to $30AUD, it qualified for free shipping...so I bought them both (along with Inuyasha Final Act for $10AUD).

FMP's first season is still full price, so I'm going to wait until the next sale to get that one. Laughing
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Any reason to upgrade to the BD?
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Mispronunciation does not merit a score decrease for the dub anymore than mispronunciation (and it is mispronunciation whether you like it or not) than "Jetto Burakku" merits a score decrease for the JP version of Cowboy Bebop. And no, pronouncing things based on a lack of clashing consonants is not "correct". I don't get why people care so much about mispronunciation for a relatively useless and isolated language, yet will consistently say "Eye-rack" or "Sawdee Araybia" even though Arabic is a major language. If an anime portrayed Iraq and a character in the dub said "Eye-rack" you wouldn't care. As an Arab, this incenses me that a people care more about pronunciation of a minor language compared to the major influence of Arabic.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 Wrote:
Quote:
As an Arab, this incenses me that a people care more about pronunciation of a minor language compared to the major influence of Arabic.

You seem to miss the point that the majority of people using these boards are here due to an interest in Japanese language entertainment. As such, Japanese is not useless, isolated or minor to us.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I like this review and I agree with most of it, but I thought that it was a bit hard on the dub.
I did not realize that anything was being mispronounced. I have probably never heard the name Chidori spoken anyplace other than the FMP dubs, so I just would not know that it was wrong.
On the other hand, if it was a name that I was familiar with from other shows, such as Sakura or Asuka, then it probably would bother me to hear it pronounced wrong (actually, I have heard both of those names pronounced wrong and it was very annoying). So maybe that does does justify a lower grade for the dub. But I like the performances so much that I still would have given it an A.Smile

Also, the Bonta-kun joke never got old for me.Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
noigeL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I like this review and I agree with most of it, but I thought that it was a bit hard on the dub.
I did not realize that anything was being mispronounced.

It's been awhile since I've seen this show but I don't think anything was mispronounced so much as Japanese names were pronounced with a more western inflection; these are two very different things.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
To each their own, but I don't think the dub's mispronunciation of Chidori should really lower its score. This is one of ADV's best, and even though I've seen the Japanese version, I think that the dub sounded more natural for this show. Getting hung up on one little nitpick seems silly.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
To each their own, but I don't think the dub's mispronunciation of Chidori should really lower its score. This is one of ADV's best, and even though I've seen the Japanese version, I think that the dub sounded more natural for this show. Getting hung up on one little nitpick seems silly.

Definitely agree with you there, but Rebecca's a stickler for name pronunciation, so... Oh well. Razz
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
If an anime portrayed Iraq and a character in the dub said "Eye-rack" you wouldn't care.

I would, actually. Pronunciation is a big deal for me no matter what language. In part it's because I have a good ear, but in the case you described it would be a question of respect.

As for the upgrading question, eh, it's a bit brighter and clearer, but not full screen, so it isn't imperative in my opinion.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Any reason to upgrade to the BD?

If you have the original ADV release, yes. The original had really poor and noticeable video quality. The series doesn't benefit from HD, and it is an upscale, but it gets rid of that awful dot crawl.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
If an anime portrayed Iraq and a character in the dub said "Eye-rack" you wouldn't care.

I would, actually. Pronunciation is a big deal for me no matter what language. In part it's because I have a good ear, but in the case you described it would be a question of respect.

As for the upgrading question, eh, it's a bit brighter and clearer, but not full screen, so it isn't imperative in my opinion.

No you wouldn't, because you're American and as such, you are used to the "Eye-rack" thing, even though in Arabic (and British-English) it is pronounced Ear-Rak. Of course, you can use the excuse of how "natural" some words sound to a particular accent or language or the like. Is it important? Not really. I just want people to be more sensitive of how they pronounce Arabic words compared to Japanese. Japanese isn't even an official language in Japan. It is merely the de facto language. Compared to Arabic, which is official in 27 countries and has 290 million (As of 2010) native speakers.

Or to make a long story short....pronunciation, correct or not is a poor reason to knock (or raise) the score of a dub. If we should take your "logic" to its conclusion, then every single Gundam show, every single show set in the USA (in exclusively English speaking settings) and Hellsing should have scores knocked off their Japanese version. It's the same logic. Don't give me the bullshit that Japanese doesn't have clashing consonants because nobody gives the reason that pronouncing Japanese words slavishly in English is unnatural, which it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2