• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Thunderbolt Anime Episode 1's Key Visual Posted

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
Whoa this looks good. And that tagline...

My interest is quite high for this now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xMemorie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
Is it possible to watch this gundam without any knowledge before hand, like the recent mobile suit gundam: iron-blooded orphans?
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
xMemorie wrote:
Is it possible to watch this gundam without any knowledge before hand, like the recent mobile suit gundam: iron-blooded orphans?

Iron blood orphan is entirely stand-alone, it is extremely accessible to every possible demographic.

However...regarding the thunderbolt, No. Without prior knowledge of 0079, it is almost impossible to fully grasp the story, let alone any enjoyment.
xMemorie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:56 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
xMemorie wrote:

Iron blood orphan is entirely stand-alone, it is extremely accessible to every possible demographic.

However...regarding the thunderbolt, No. Without prior knowledge of 0079, it is almost impossible to fully grasp the story, let alone any enjoyment.

Ok, thanks. Which gundam should I watch to get the knowledge I need?
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
All aboard the hype Zaku.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
xMemorie wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

ANN actually did a post about the Gundam franchise, it's different universes, and what they think is worth watching.

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-10-21/mobile-suit-gundam-where-to-start-and-what-worth-watching/.94461

Universal Century is the one you should look at. I'd imagine 0079 is the bare minimum prerequisite for watching this new series, thought it'd probably help to watch the other related series. There is quite a bit to watch, so you might want to just stick to what they recommend as a must watch.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
xMemorie wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

This takes place during the One Year WAr, which would be the oriiginal show. There's a condensed version of the original Gundam in 3 easy movies, a modern really good manga version, and the obvious answer of the original TV Anime.

But don't worry, I watched the middle entry, Zeta Gundam, first. Now I'm a big Gundam fan. Start with whatever's appealing. I knew I was starting somewhere in the middle, so when something happened I didn't know about it made me -want- to watch the older content.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:

Universal Century is the one you should look at. I'd imagine 0079 is the bare minimum prerequisite for watching this new series, thought it'd probably help to watch the other related series. There is quite a bit to watch, so you might want to just stick to what they recommend as a must watch.

Unicorn was my first jump into the Universal Century. Damn that show's awesome.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:00 am Reply with quote
xMemorie wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

This is a really good answer but literally just start anyway. Start wherever is most appealing to you. Gundam seems intimidating but it isn't really. I start with Unicorn which many will tell me after the fact that is wasn't a good starting point but I enjoyed it. Now I've seen most of the franchise.

Too many differing opinions and their really isn't a general consensus on what's good in the Gundam franchise. Mainly because their are so many different series and not everyone is going to appeal to everyone's niche. A lot of people has this idea in there that Gundam is supposed to be this or that when it really a varied franchise. So really just start wherever you feel is best.

Literally just start somewhere or conversely don't
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:02 am Reply with quote
Now this looks cool. No metro bishonen male leads or cutesy milquetoast girls, just two guys fated to kill each other --- that's a premise I can take seriously. The artstyle also feels a bit like a throwback, and actually looks like a piece of art, what with its sketchy, rough look. Definitely looking forward to this.
Chocolate Misu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
Have they announced how many episodes this is gonna be? Because I really want this to last a bit. That art is so 1998 and it pleases me to no end. I'm ridin' this hype train hard.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
The artwork does look beautiful. It kind of reminds of that glossy artwork that American comics had years back. Hope it works out for a simulcast.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
There is no TV Series mentioned in article so I think this will be an OVA anime.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
xMemorie wrote:

Thunderbolt was an alternate timeline of UC, the author said this is different than available UC 0079. So even without knowledge about UC timeline you can still enjoy this anime.
sweaf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
That sure looks pretty. Im all on board.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3