• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Funimation License Shows They Won't Dub?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I wish they would have dubbed and released Tokyo ESP. That was a really fun show. But apparently I'm the only one who thinks so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
So anime companies are operating with 1950s American movie logic that gave rise to the likes of the legendary Roger Corman? Makes sense to me. I'm more shocked that Buddy Complex is getting a US release and I'm only discovering this now (I wonder if the two part finale will be included).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Block-booking happens:
Remember when everyone asked "Why did Cartoon Network license Hamtaro from Viz?" Turns out the answer was, "So they could get Inu-Yasha."

That wasn't the "Roger Corman" logic of American movies, that simply wanted to release movies as double features to give teens plenty of short movie on a Friday night and make back some money on the lesser one--
A better American movie comparison was when Fox was so convinced that Star Wars would flop in 1977, they told theaters (back when independent theaters bid for which one or two movies to show) they had to book Star Wars for a week if they wanted to be able to book the "hit bestseller adaptation" The Other Side of Midnight two weeks later. Not necessarily a legitimate studio/theater practice, but at least it got it into theaters.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Since later on they will get more series in a bundled package, maybe they should announce beforehand they are part of a b-line of releases that will most likely not get dubs.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense to me. Why spend even more money on something that probably won't make back the dub's costs if it's too niche in the first place?
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Funimation is my favorite NA company because as a dub fan when they get a title it's almost a lock for a dub so I'm thankful for funimation keeping that tradition.

On the other hand if they want to pick up titles that they otherwise wouldn't because it wouldn't justify a dub I welcome that. I'll be sad if a release is sub only but it means that even more anime is licensed and released in NA and thats always a plus Anime smile
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Except for those two shows, everything they've put out has gotten a dub.

Not entirely true. Both Puchim@s and Inari Kon Kon were put out sub-only, as well as their re-release of .hack//G.U. Trilogy.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
better to release a show sub-only than never release it at all.
how many shows does Funi license stream-wise and never bothered giving it a home video release?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I thought those "take this C-list title or else" licensing package deals were a bygone relic of the bubble days. Not so much, I guess. I always thought those Funi sub-only titles were shows they hoped would be popular enough to dub, but the streaming numbers turned out to be "low but not Cube x Curse x Curious / Tatami Galaxy low", i.e. high enough to justify a sub-only release but not a dub. And even those who lament the end of Funi's dub-everything policy should be glad they're not running themselves into the ground dubbing marginal titles that will lose money if dubbed. Better to have a few sub-only releases than see yet another major North American company shut down completely.

Quote:
Except for those two shows, everything they've put out has gotten a dub.
Since somebody always brings up additional exceptions in the forums... Inari KonKon says hello (and even I overlooked Puchim@s), as do some titles associated with license rescues like the Kaleido Star Layla Hamilton OVA, the Vandread recap OVAs, and some license rescues that weren't dubbed by the original licensees like .hack//GU Trilogy and probably Tales of the Abyss, once Funi gets around to releasing it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And even those who lament the end of Funi's dub-everything policy should be glad they're not running themselves into the ground dubbing marginal titles that will lose money if dubbed.

At least we hope not, because something tells me that no one's really chomping at the bit to buy physical copies of Shomin Sample, Sky Wizards Academy, or Mikagura School Suite. Confused
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Tales of the Abyss, once Funi gets around to releasing it.

Really hope we see that in 2016 it feels like Funi has had those bandai pickups forever (I know why they are held of course) I pray that it gets dubbed as I'm a massive tales fan but I'll just be happy with a bluray release. I really, really wish Funi or someone would pick up the Tales of Symphonia animation. ToS is my favorite game of all time and it kiils me that there is no legally subtitled way to own or watch it Sad

SpacemanHardy wrote:
At least we hope not, because something tells me that no one's really chomping at the bit to buy physical copies of Shomin Sample, Sky Wizards Academy, or Mikagura School Suite. Confused

Oh I am, I'm absolutely ecstatic that Shomin Sample is getting a dub and that bluray LE will be ordered at the speed of light as soon as pre-orders starts, was worried that it'd end up a sub only release but I'm glad its otherwise, super excited for Sky Wizards Academy and the dub too, that LE will also be pre-ordered asap!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I'm curious as to why they didn't feel that OniAi or Buddy Complex weren't worth dubbing. They've dubbed similar shows of like content and quality.

It's a shame. I would have totally bought Buddy Complex if it had a dub. Guess Funi doesn't want my money (well, more of it, anyways).
anifani

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I am so glad I saw this. I almost purchased Buddy Complex assuming it had a dub. Disappointed. Crying or Very sad but understandable.

That's alright, there is plenty of other series. Funi, when is Laughing under the Clouds ... getting released????
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
And even those who lament the end of Funi's dub-everything policy should be glad they're not running themselves into the ground dubbing marginal titles that will lose money if dubbed.

Or A Good Librarian Like A Good Shepherd, which was the first one I thought of when Justin mentioned bundling licenses because that never felt to me like the kind of show Funi would typically pick up. I'd be shocked if that one got a dub.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Buddy Complex does include the 2 part specials for the NA release.

I can understand why Funimation decided not to dub the show, it was a flop here and even more so in Japan. It sold poorly so much so that it never got a second season as they were hoping for and gave us a hour long special to hastily rushed ending to wrap the series up.

And a pretty lousy ending to boot. I was really into the series at first but that rushed ending kind of did the show in for me to the point it went from a might buy it to I don't really want to own it anymore.

The sub only part doesn't bother me since I prefer them and if their was no dub on the release I'd still pay full price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6