• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pop Group Blush Performs Glitter Force Opening Theme, Other Songs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I give them props on the OP song in following the spirit of the original in including the title in the lyrics just like that "SMILE SMILE SMILE PRECURE..." OP song.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
It's alright, but I still see this dub as a potential disasterpiece.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
And here I thought the 20 episode season limitations was a dead giveaway it would be on Nickelodeon. I guess I'm stuck in the past because "Netflix Original Series" sounds like a dead-before-it-arrives term since it's not even airing on TV, but I guess Netflix shows can do well from what I hear. Not sure if kids shows can follow the same route though.

The OP itself sounds like above-average standard kids anime dub stuff. A bit more effort than just shouting the premise of the show over and over like a lot of dubs/shows here do.

-Stuart Smith
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Fingers crossed for this one. I've never seen any of Precure before but I was aware of its tremendous fanbase, and while I have zero issue with the name change (sorry but to me, "Precure" is too bizarre, sounding like a proactive medical procedure and not a kids' show), the potential episode cut is a bit worrisome.

That said, I'll keep an eye out for Glitter Force and see how I feel after I've watched it a bit.
The song is catchy and blandly inoffensive, in my book. If I'm being tough, I'd say I enjoyed the thought put into DC Super Hero Girls' theme the most out of animated shows so far this winter, but I realize that's setting the bar pretty high.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Fingers crossed for this one. I've never seen any of Precure before but I was aware of its tremendous fanbase, and while I have zero issue with the name change (sorry but to me, "Precure" is too bizarre, sounding like a proactive medical procedure and not a kids' show), the potential episode cut is a bit worrisome.

That said, I'll keep an eye out for Glitter Force and see how I feel after I've watched it a bit.
The song is catchy and blandly inoffensive, in my book. If I'm being tough, I'd say I enjoyed the thought put into DC Super Hero Girls' theme the most out of animated shows so far this winter, but I realize that's setting the bar pretty high.

Then they should have used "Pretty Cure", seeing as that's what it was before they shortened it to "Precure".

This is probably going to be a train wreck. If you have to censor and cut out a bunch of stuff before you bring it to the U.S., don't bother bringing it at all.
Togame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
They're cutting it probably to fit into the timeframe, not to censor anything (because honestly, what is there to censor in Smile?).

I bet Yayoi's dad episode is gonna RIP, no pun intended.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Togame wrote:

I bet Yayoi's dad episode is gonna RIP, no pun intended.

I hope it is still included, one of the stronger character episodes, but I guess we will have to wait for the "second half" release to see if it was cut or not.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain this "netflix original" bullshit?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

It is more of a branding face than a title that amounts to anything, they just tossed it on the "exclusive" airing titles as means of marketing and "why you too should pay for Netflix".

As for the Dub work, that is on Saban's team.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
The more I hear about this, the more I don't get what they're doing. Precure already had a fairly solid English dub thanks to the folks over at Blue Water and that kept the original name. It just didn't air in the states but it aired up here in Canada and overseas in Europe (I think?)

If this is enjoyable as that dub, I might check it out but I'm not holding my breath considering this is Saban who couldn't even keep Digimon Fusion consistent with the previous shows.

DmonHiro wrote:

It just means they've got exclusive streaming/airing rights in different markets. They did the same thing with Seven Deadly Sins and Knights of Sidonia.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
The more I hear about this, the more I don't get what they're doing. Precure already had a fairly solid English dub thanks to the folks over at Blue Water and that kept the original name. It just didn't air in the states but it aired up here in Canada and overseas in Europe (I think?)

Just to spin the story again, toei wanted another entity (Saban) to deal with international distribution of Precure, Saban is large enough corporation that they can be responsible with distribution of not just the series rights but also tied in merchandise.

The talks between Toei and Saban have been going on for well over four years, the reason why Smile season was selected was because at the time it was going to be the most recently premiered series.
wohdin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
"Netflix Original Series". Suuuuure it is, Saban.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Are people totally forgetting Power Rangers? Is also made by Saban and is a modified version of Super Sentai from Toei, just like Precure. If Power Ranger was able to be mega popular in that way, I hope Glitter Force does the same.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
In addition, kids get most of their media online now, so it'd be logical to take this to Netflix, where a lot of children's eyes are glued to. (Well, the other ones would be Hulu and Amazon, which are also reasonable but Netflix is less demanding; and YouTube, which would be an absolute "no.")

Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Then they should have used "Pretty Cure", seeing as that's what it was before they shortened it to "Precure".

Then that would sound like a cure for prettiness. (Maybe it'd be what the Wicked Witch of the West wanted to give Dorothy.)
Set1229

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Hearing that was glorious. Keep in mind that I love cheesy music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3