• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - One Piece: Season 7 Part 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Mid arc detours for Filler are way to frequent in One Piece, they do those annoying Edo-Era fillers in the heat of Enies Lobby and less said about the 5 epidones of them jumping and reshowing old flashback the better.

Still there is some decent filler in One Piece, The G-8 arc after Skypia and the Ice Hunters Arc after Enies lobby are both pretty good and a fun watch. But yeah, everything else is pretty much rubbish or barely worth the time, I'm looking at you Goat Island and The Apis Arc!
Deadly_Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
From the new world is definitely something you should finish. In my opinion it's one of the best shows out there
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Amazing shelves! I can't wait to move out and actually display all of my figures instead of keeping them hidden in boxes stacked in my closet. (Speaking of, what do people do with the boxes while displaying their figures? I'd have a hard time just throwing them out xD) and that manga collection is awesome, love the matching bookshelves. I've got close to that number, but 5 bookshelves and only 2 of which match. Jealous of them all matching so nicely xD
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
One piece filler are really weird considering how perfect the setting is for filler, they could just have the crew stop at an island along the way to the next island in manga. Instead they have these weird mid arc interruption, that's really hard to defend.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I forgot that Pita ten was coming out this soon. The manga was one of the most heartbreaking things I've read- there's sad, there's unfortunate and misfortune as well but what happened to the main character is beyond cruel- and I'm pretty sure that the anime doesn't even cover that part.

Yeah, if it did, it'd certainly use the episode titles "How to find what you are looking for" and "How to Cry". Sad, in more ways than one.

I've had this problem with Mahoraba manga versus its incomplete anime adaptation as well as Karen; Great series with ultimately unsatisfying animes. I just wonder how incomplete Pita Ten is; If it's more like Midori Days then the anime could be a good buy as well but what I loved about the Pita ten manga was its drama that dominated the second half and "comedy, romance, supernatural" doesn't even come close to what I remember.

Oh yeah, someone needs to license Mahoraba; Someone get on that.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Those are some really fantastic shelves. I need more close ups of a few of those though. Really loving the Monogatari figures, in particular. I wish I had just bit the bullet and decided to collect those from the beginning. Too many of them are hard to find or super expensive now, but I'd really like to go back and collect one for each girl. Also, Hanekawa is best girl. :3 Cool

Deadly_Mouse wrote:
From the new world is definitely something you should finish. In my opinion it's one of the best shows out there

Agreed! Paul go watch it man. Watch it ASAP! From The New World is a really fantastic show that only gets better as it goes along. I highly recommend taking the time to finish it up. Smile
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
One piece filler are really weird considering how perfect the setting is for filler, they could just have the crew stop at an island along the way to the next island in manga. Instead they have these weird mid arc interruption, that's really hard to defend.

In this case, the interruption was because they wanted to build hype for the Strong Word movie which was releasing that month. The bad guys in this arc are minions of Strong World's main villain.

There's also a filler arc that ties into the following movie, but that one was done inbetween storylines.
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Even though One Piece filler is better than most, I still can't bring myself to watch it most of the time. They do like to just put it in the middle of arcs a lot of the time. Its really annoying so I can see why this set only got rental worthy. I dont care quite frankly that Evangelion 3.0/3.33 took this long to come out considering we dont even have a release date for 4.0 yet or I think its actually being called 3.0+1.0 at the moment. I mean Hideaki Anno is busy with Toho's Godzilla at the moment so we probably wont get the last Evangelion movie til 2017 most likely.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:22 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
(Speaking of, what do people do with the boxes while displaying their figures? I'd have a hard time just throwing them out xD)

I wish I had a good remedy for this too. Right now, mine are absorbing needed space in a spare closet, but I hate to throw them away as well. Packing them up with all of those extra parts just seems easier if I have to move, but I guess it is a growing problem to be thankful for. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I have most of the boxes figures came in stacked up in storage. Since I don't have near enough space to display all my figures I use them to hold the figures when I retire them to set out new ones. Also as Usagi-kun said it is a good place to keep spare parts. Sometimes the pictures on the box are the only thing that shows how the spare parts are used.

Dealing with the empty boxes is a royal pain in the neck though.
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Most complaints about the filler in One Piece these days are about there not being enough of it, though. Just saying. I would gladly have taken a filler detour during Dressrosa if it meant making the rest of the arc watchable. It probably would have evened out to the same amount of episodes, just better ones overall.

It's hard to fit a "filler island" in between when the island arcs themselves are like a year long and bleed directly into the next one by virtue of who is/isn't there. It used to be possible, but it hasn't been in awhile.

Also, leafyseadragon, if you're still in this thread, can you let me know when the Dressrosa arc is over in the anime so I can marathon it to the end? I refuse to watch spoiler[like a thousand jump cuts of pushing the birdcage and a six-minutes-on-Planet-Namek-length ten minute countdown for Luffy] without fast forward. Shocked

Also, another vote for "you should really finish Shinsekai Yori. It takes awhile to pick up but once you're about halfway through you realize what you just watched was actually amazing and you want to know the rest. Actually, never mind, just watch it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While the manga it's based on made its way to the States back in 2004, this appears to be the first time that the Pita-Ten anime has been available here.
Indeed it is; supposedly AnimeNation tried to license it over 10 years ago, but the asking prices were too rich for their blood. Clearly they've come down since then.

Animegomaniac wrote:

I've had this problem with Mahoraba manga versus its incomplete anime adaptation as well as Karen; Great series with ultimately unsatisfying animes. I just wonder how incomplete Pita Ten is; If it's more like Midori Days then the anime could be a good buy as well but what I loved about the Pita ten manga was its drama that dominated the second half and "comedy, romance, supernatural" doesn't even come close to what I remember.
Haven't read the manga, but imo the Pita Ten anime at least feels reasonably complete; I didn't come away from it with "650-minute manga commercial syndrome." Definitely more complete than Mahoraba, and it does have some hard-hitting drama amidst all the silliness.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I thought this would be the most appropriate place to say this considering it's on this weeks release list, but today I received in the mail an actual physical copy of Eva 3.33. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes and hold it in my hands... hopefully there's something inside.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Mid arc detours for Filler are way to frequent in One Piece, they do those annoying Edo-Era fillers in the heat of Enies Lobby and less said about the 5 epidones of them jumping and reshowing old flashback the better.

Still there is some decent filler in One Piece, The G-8 arc after Skypia and the Ice Hunters Arc after Enies lobby are both pretty good and a fun watch. But yeah, everything else is pretty much rubbish or barely worth the time, I'm looking at you Goat Island and The Apis Arc!

not quite. while the goat island was definitely waste of space the arc involving apis wasnt cause it was entertaining with the whole dragon as her grandfather. also the calm belt episode was part of the manga so i wouldnt necessarily call it a complete rubbish. however the goat island arc is definitely a waste of space. but the biggest filler failure are those boss luffy filler arcs. those are even worse than the entire 100 filler eps that the original naruto did cause at least those were interesting to say the least.

Quote:
I'm all right with the idea of adding some filler content to a long-running series in between major storylines, but this is just obnoxious.
if it was releated to the other movies then yea. but considering that its mainly based off of the strong world arc and it give out some background on shiki which wasnt shown in the movie, i wouldnt necessarily call it obnoxious. though those fillers that shown during the enies lobby aftermath arc and especially the ones involving their flag getting stolen, those are insanely obnoxious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
From the New World is one of many shows that I've started, found interesting, and yet somehow never gotten around to finishing.

You don't know how many times I've seen this show stalled at the bottom of my Crunchyroll queue and thought pretty much the same thing. "It was such an interesting show, why can't I bring myself to finish it?" The Biggest problem, I think, is that I'm something like 10-11 episodes in and I know I'd have to rewatch those episodes to really understand it again... and it feels like such a chore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1