• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Graphs, Charts Chronicle Hunter x Hunter Manga's Many Hiatuses

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kileymik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reminder lmao. I need that DC Arc greatness i don't think i can hold out much longer.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Ah the great hiatus arc, that's been going on since the series even started, it's that crucial to the story.

But man it's interesting to see how these arcs have been divied up over time, I can't imagine the pain of someone who read jump nearly exclusively for Hunter x Hunter. Also 2015 marks the first year he's done absolutely nothing, which is disappointing because I noticed beforehand he did at least something each year. It's still confusing as to how much this has to do with health or other issues, but it's irritating regardless. I don't want to demonize the guy, we've all got problems, but I'm also not kissing his feet either. Regardless of how much I enjoy the series.
javierm885778

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Ah the great hiatus arc, that's been going on since the series even started, it's that crucial to the story.

But man it's interesting to see how these arcs have been divied up over time, I can't imagine the pain of someone who read jump nearly exclusively for Hunter x Hunter. Also 2015 marks the first year he's done absolutely nothing, which is disappointing because I noticed beforehand he did at least something each year. It's still confusing as to how much this has to do with health or other issues, but it's irritating regardless. I don't want to demonize the guy, we've all got problems, but I'm also not kissing his feet either. Regardless of how much I enjoy the series.

Actually, the first issues of each year come out at the end of the previous year, so 2013 didn't publish any chapters. And still, those were part of promotioning a movie and didn't advance the plot.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Christ Togashi must have some good connections if the manga's managed to stay in jump this long despite the hiatuses and not get cancelled.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Jesus Christ Togashi must have some good connections if the manga's managed to stay in jump this long despite the hiatuses and not get cancelled.

No, the manga still sold incredibly well despite the hiatus. Not to mention two successful anime adaptations.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for Togashi since he's finally said that he's suffering from more health problems and isn't just playing video games all day long (as the Internet hypothesized). But seriously, if Togashi ends up having to quit the series, I really wouldn't mind if it gets passed to someone else as long as the series ends on a conclusive note and isn't just suddenly cancelled.
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
I thought this was good news when I saw the thumb nail. Then I read the head line.

http://youtu.be/y8OgqtW9MDA
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
It's amazing that the manga of Hunter x Hunter performed well despite its super-lengthy dormancy from the mangaka. I hope Mr. Togashi gets well enough to try to finish the manga, but the odds seem against that.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
If the guy really does have lingering health issues, wouldn't it be a far better choice to lay out the plot and have someone else draw it for a while until he feels up to it again? Seems like a far better choice than essentially dicking your fans over for half a decade.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Been a couple months since I last saw this. Nothing has changed. I still wouldn't recommend this series to people just because they'd have to deal with this. lol

Hopefully after the release of DQH II, there will be a new release(June or later).
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
unfortunately, all we can really do is wish the best for togashi and hope for gon and killua to be eventually reunited someday
Yreva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
If the guy really does have lingering health issues, wouldn't it be a far better choice to lay out the plot and have someone else draw it for a while until he feels up to it again? Seems like a far better choice than essentially dicking your fans over for half a decade.

I recall that he had the basic plot laid out with the plans for the next two arcs afterwards also laid out. I think it's just a matter of him actually drawing it which is the issue. He also refuses to have a proper assistant to help him out with things overall. I think his wife helps with some stuff sometimes, but for the most part he's dead set on doing everything himself.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Over the years I heard of the number of hiatuses there was, but to see it in visual form is shocking.

I think it was a major mistake to have HxH continue into the Dark Continent Arc. Would've been better to end the series right there and continue the story in installments, when Togashi had enough material to advance the story.

That or someone else takes over the artwork, while Togashi acts as the writer. He'll have to share the paycheck, but income will still be flowing in, that he will be needing for medical treatments.

My best wishes to him.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
The one thing that irks me is that the anime ends with the story expanding. I haven't read the few chapters that take place after that, so maybe I'm wrong?

I'd much rather Togashi worked towards an ending. It would still probably take years, but at least there would be an end in sight. I think HxH is great, but I don't think I want to see it limp through another 15+ years at an increasingly slower rate of release.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
If you have read through the manga the story is getting ready to explode. And nothing. Silence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4