• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crackle to Stream Robotech TV Series, Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'd really rather they didn't stream it. Last thing we need is Harmony Gold getting more legitimacy to their claim of ownership over all of Macross.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:
I'd really rather they didn't stream it. Last thing we need is Harmony Gold getting more legitimacy to their claim of ownership over all of Macross.

Legally, it is "legitimate" even if the fandom still declares the old dub a bastardization.

As for WHY, it is to create a "legal streaming alley" to pave the way for the up in the air live action film that MIGHT appear as early as 2020.
It will be amusing because by then the remake/abridged version of Macross Delta will have premiered by then if we take the Macross Frontier movie release dates as reference.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:

You know, there are people out there who actually like Robotech. Yeah, it'd be nice if we had access to Macross in its original form and all sequels, and HG should stop being dicks about it, but that doesn't mean Robotech needs to go away.
FtKaru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
While I have no qualms with Robotech itself, it amazes me that Harmony Gold is still alive. Man, what a terrible company.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, streaming a 90s era SD composite master of an obsolete monster, how quaint. That preview looks like shit.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
You know, there are people out there who actually like Robotech. Yeah, it'd be nice if we had access to Macross in its original form and all sequels, and HG should stop being dicks about it, but that doesn't mean Robotech needs to go away.

It actually does need to go away, because any money it still makes keep Harmony Gold's stranglehold alive, so for the betterment of Macross, Robotech needs to die. It's a zero sum game.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Robotech is a national treasure.

And I'll be right there rooting for the live-action movie.

Razz
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Now, y'see, I went in the complete OTHER direction from the HG hate, thought it was Crackle that was in the last stage of desperation, and trying to dive into the anime-market crowd--Since those are the only people who still watch the channel apart from fratboys watching the weed comedies and action films, and whoever's watching "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee."
And then tied it in with HG's desperation to squeeze the last bit of 80's fan loyalty out of the Robotech:Classic series as "They deserve each other."

Quote:
Crackle announced last month that it has launched seven new "multiplex channels," including one specifically for anime. The channels play like linear television when selected, but episodes are also available on demand.

IOW, they've stopped trying to be free ad-supported Hulu (like they were when they first started out), and now they're trying to be Shout Factory's PlutoTV.
And while I like PlutoTV enough for what it is, with Crackle's collection, sometimes dead is better. If I want to watch Valkyria Chronicles, I'll dial it up on demand, but that's about it even for their anime channel.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if Crackle didn't have a rights issue for getting dub version of the '01 Cyborg 009 series since Crackle is owned by Sony. With this, Sony released the 1st 8 eps. on DVD years back.

As for the Robotech issue, assuming the world is still around in 70 years, then the series should be or have been in public domain by then. Of course, at that time, it will have truly become a classic.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
If Harmony Gold really wants to generate some goodwill with their fanbase and promote their brand, then they should start putting more pressure on the company that ran their Robotech kickstarter to actually get that stuff out the door. It's been three years since that campaign ended, and the entire thing is a trainwreck.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually rewatching Macross right now alongside a friend who never saw any. he got interested because of Delta. I got my start on Robotech and even liked the other series they mashed up into there. But the age of that is over. For how much this franchise pulls in re-re-releasing just the original show, get us correct subs and bring over the rest of everything else.

Or...you know, let me give my money directly to Japan. They're adding English subtitles to Macross discs now? At least someone is getting with the times. gah. Harmony Gold. Just...Give up.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I wish Crackle would stream the 2001 Cyborg 009 anime series. I want to see the dubbed God's War OVA already.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:54 pm Reply with quote
It's Sony, and since Sony acquired the rights to make a live action "Robotech" movie it's obvious they want to gauge just how many fans this franchise really has.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:

I'd really rather they didn't stream it on Crackle of all things. It needs to be streamed on Netflix or Hulu. Robotech has many fans and they shouldn't be punished because some fans are mad at Harmony Gold.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:
It's Sony, and since Sony acquired the rights to make a live action "Robotech" movie it's obvious they want to gauge just how many fans this franchise really has.

You are probably right, though I think the non HD Crackle is a poor choice for gauging interest in anything.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
The write in Variety (not cited in the article, I guess?) has the headline "Sony’s Crackle Picks Up ’80s Anime Series ‘Robotech’ to Anchor New Channel".

I gotta think that using a 30-year-old standard-def show to "anchor" anything is a pretty dim proposition.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I honestly tried to watch robotech with no preconceptions or expectations and frankly I'll be honest by the time I got to the halfway point I fell asleep three times and fell out of my chair hitting my head on a coffee table after the third, robotech as a series is as many have put it a bastardization that should've been put out of it's misery and ours. it's Honestly unbelievable that one series bastard child remake is keeping the release of the sequels from being released here in the states. I honestly hope that this blows up in a big shit storm because frankly HG needs to shut it's doors for good
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3