• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, May 30-June 5 [2016-06-08]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Hunter x Hunter is still very much alive, despite all odds.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I didn't expect it to sell so well, considering all the hiatuses.
Sifixs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I didn't expect it to sell so well, considering all the hiatuses.

HxH is the best shonen manga.
anddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
It was pretty obvious HxH would skyrocket, this volume has been anticipated for a very long time with the wait of chapter 350 pre-hiatus. Glad to see the series getting the profit it deserves.

Also hoping this encourages Togashi to go for a slightly longer run this time around. 12 chapters maybe?
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
It's closer to steady than it is to skyrocket, after the boost from the 2011 anime series.
Vol 28 (July 2011) sold 633k after 7 days
Vol 29 (August 2011) sold 693k after 4 days
Vol 30 (April 2012) sold 638k after 5 days
Vol 31 (December 2012) sold 684k after 6 days
Vol 32 (also December 2012) sold 619k after 3 days
And now vol 32 (June 2016) sold 650k after 3 days

I think that it speaks more to HxH fans staying loyal in general (as opposed to the longterm gradual attrition from fatigue seen elsewhere*) mixed with Togashi not having written anything so bad as to get people to ditch the series en masse suddenly.

*although, I wouldn't dismiss the idea of hiatus-induced hunger countering the typical fatigue effect
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
so yuragi san got decent numbers ? that has not happened since to love ru, iirc, so I guess an anime adaptation in a few months is imminent.
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
(as opposed to the longterm gradual attrition from fatigue seen elsewhere*)

What does that mean?
anng16

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see that OPM is still going strong. Maybe it will get a sales boost if people mistake it's cover for Yu Yu Hakusho
RikudoAkatsuki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
KilluaX3 wrote:
Somewhere wrote:
(as opposed to the longterm gradual attrition from fatigue seen elsewhere*)

What does that mean?

I'm pretty sure he means Bleach.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes you see a series' sales just decline slowly over time. Sometimes nothing major happened which one could point at and say 'THAT's the reason why people are dropping this series'; that it's something as simple as some people deciding to just no longer buy a series as it no longer excites them or whatever.

Like, everybody gives a series a different amount of slack. And by slack, I mean the amount of time elapsed since the last time a series really got you pumped up, and then the moment you decide 'alright, enough, it's been too long, it's just not worth it anymore, time to drop it'. So as a series goes on and on, some people quit here, some people quit there. Assuming an insufficient number of new people picking up the series to balance the totals, you can see a small drop in sales here and there. Granted, it's the sort of thing that's easier to see when the data is collected in a single place, as either a graph or a table.

For example, here's Toriko's sales. You see it go up, hit its peak, then start a slow descent. I don't recall any major 'jump the shark' moments in Toriko, so I interpret the gradual decline as generic fatigue.

Last edited by Somewhere on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
650k copies in 3 days. Glad to see HxH having so many fans!!!
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see World Trigger in the top 10. It has become one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
For example, here's Toriko's sales. You see it go up, hit its peak, then start a slow descent. I don't recall any major 'jump the shark' moments in Toriko, so I interpret the gradual decline as generic fatigue.

..........?

Generic fatigue?

So you don't think it has anything to do with the quality of written worsening over time?
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
Nice to see Horimiya close to 200k. I'm hoping that series will end up getting an anime adaption (I don't count the OVAs, as they're adaptions of the Hori-san to Miyramura-kun series).
Somewhere

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
#857821 wrote:
Somewhere wrote:

..........?

Generic fatigue?

So you don't think it has anything to do with the quality of written worsening over time?

I think that it only got slightly worse over the time I've paid attention to it (only through what has run in English WSJ). But my starting opinion of Toriko was kind of low in the first place.

That aside, writing quality slowly degrading over time still folds into the generic fatigue umbrella. It's still the lack of any specific event that pisses people off. It's just throwing straw onto the back of that camel. Time spent without anything good happening is also straw. And the point at which that camel's back is broken (ie the leash a person gives something vying for its attention) varies for everybody.

Look, to keep it straight forward, I divide dropping a story into two camps: "A specific thing happened that prompted me to drop out of anger" and "No individual really bad thing happened so I have yet to throw a fit, but my interest in it just fell off over time to the point of no longer being worth the effort to follow". In short: "Rage quit" or "*shrug* Simply stopped following". A general 'writing quality worsening over time' is in the latter camp.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1