• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable TV Anime to Air 39 Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Not exactly news, considering you can pre-order volumes with a total of 39 episodes on Amazon Japan for several weeks now, but it's nice to see a confirmation.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:08 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Not exactly news, considering you can pre-order volumes with a total of 39 episodes on Amazon Japan for several weeks now, but it's nice to see a confirmation.

Stardust crusaders was listed as 24 episodes and people believed that be true until the second half was announced about half a year later. So yes most people didn't believe that it's 39 episodes and a confirmation by the studio is convincing. With the pace we got and the fact that they won't leave anything out, I'm ok with this. Just means more people will buy the Bluray because it's gonna be somewhat affordable
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:37 am Reply with quote
Well, it was at least certain DIU will *at least* be 39 episodes long, could have been more.

Though it still could be split-cour, right? Likely won't happened, but it happened before with GATE, for example.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Though it still could be split-cour, right? Likely won't happened, but it happened before with GATE, for example.

With an episode count of 39, I would use Ushio to Tora as an example here of a case that it could be split-cour.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Blackiris_ wrote:

With an episode count of 39, I would use Ushio to Tora as an example here of a case that it could be split-cour.

Yeah, that's a good example. I named GATE because GATE was not originally planned to be split-cour, but (maybe due to productions issues) ended up with a three months break.

Let's hope that doesn't happen to JoJo. (Although I'm all for split-cour if it improves the production quality of a show. You can see how most long-running shows have pretty poor animation most of the time.)
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:53 am Reply with quote
^

I concur, although Hunter x Hunter 2011 is the only long-running anime with top-notch quality. And it's 147 eps with no breaks!
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
Based off of the fact that the manga of Diamond is Unbreakable is longer than Stardust Crusaders, I would have thought the anime would be longer as well. But it appears that it will be 9 episodes shorter. As long as it covers everything in the manga, I can't really complain.
paperfanofdoom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Based off of the fact that the manga of Diamond is Unbreakable is longer than Stardust Crusaders, I would have thought the anime would be longer as well. But it appears that it will be 9 episodes shorter. As long as it covers everything in the manga, I can't really complain.

It could be because this time around there are more fights that would be short enough to condense into one episodes spoiler[like Ratt, Cheap Trick, or Boy II Man]
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Stardust Crusaders certainly could've been done in 39 episodes, and would've been a much better show if it had been, IMO. The pacing is noticeably slower than both the first anime and Diamond is Unbreakable, and while this occasionally works out well, most of the time things were stretched out a lot more than they should've been, especially in the first half. I'm glad they're doing DIU in 39 episodes, which is exactly the same volume to episode ratio as the first Jojo series.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought Diamond is Unbreakable would need as many episodes as Stardust Crusaders to be adapted properly, but since it appears they are going at a brisker pace than Stardust Crusaders (and I agree with those people who say it's probably for the better and that Stardust Crusaders could have probably had a faster pace) this is my guestimation on how the rest of the remaining chapters-to-episodes of Diamond is Unbreakable are going to be adapted:

The second half of Red Hot Chili Peppers (4 chapters): Episode 12
Picked Up Something Bad! (3 chapters): Episode 13
Let's Go Hang Out at the Mangaka's House (7 chapters): Episodes 14-15
Let's Go "Hunting"! (6 chapters): Episode 16
Rohan Kishibe's Adventure (5 chapters): Episode 17
Shigechi's Harvest (7 chapters): Episodes 18-19
Yoshikage Kira Wants a Quiet Life (5 chapters)+The People of Morioh (1 chapter): Episode 20
Yukako Yamagishi's Longs for Cinderella (6 chapters): Episode 21
Sheer Heart Attack (11 chapters): Episodes 22-24
Atom Heart Father (5 chapters): Episode 25
Yoshikage Kira's New Life (2 chapters split up as bookends)+The Rock-Paper-Scissors Boy Is Coming (6 chapters): Episodes 26-27
I Am an Alien (6 chapters): Episode 28
Highway Star (8 chapters): Episodes 29-30
The Cat Who Loved Yoshikage Kira (6 chapters): Episode 31
Let's Live on a Tower (6 chapters): Episode 32
The Enigma Boy (6 chapters): Episode 33
My Dad Is Not My Dad (2 chapters): Episode 34
Cheap Trick (6 chapters): Episode 35
With a finale of Another One Bites the Dust (10 chapters)+Crazy Diamond Is Unbreakable (9 chapters)+Let Me Remind You (1 chapter)+Town Guardian Spirits (1 chapter)+Goodbye, Morioh Town - The Golden Heart (1 chapter): Episodes 36-39
Though it might be possible that the two My Dad Is Not My Dad chapters might get mushed in with finale chapters for a finale of five episodes instead of four.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1