• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: WSJ & TechCrunch: McDonald's Sponsors Pokémon Go's Wednesday Launch in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
This is complete bs tbh. A poke stop was supposed to be a special place in your town you might have not seen yet. Like a statue or a well. Now it's McDonalds?

The huge fame isnt exactly doing the game much Good. It's like what was happening in bey blade where the whole world was playing with them blades or with yu gi oh where everyone was playing that game but this time in real life. And real life is not as fair and beautiful as a Shonen story with as much heart as our childhood anime and is gönne become a cash magnet soon more than what we believed it to be the
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, since all the stops and gyms are converted Ingress portals this didn't surprise me. They're most likely just pushing the existing McDonald portal data first so they are highlighted as stops before activating the others. When the other portals go live will be when the fun starts.

Have you seen where some Ingress portals are located? The reason why there was reaction to "strange" or "inappropriate" locations in pokemon go in the first place was due to this data import.

Also some "hilarious" items where a clefairy named loveislove stationed at the westboro baptist church.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
McDonalds will have 3000+ of its locations participating in this in Japan. That's a lot...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:
This is complete bs tbh. A poke stop was supposed to be a special place in your town you might have not seen yet. Like a statue or a well. Now it's McDonalds?

The Poké Stops around where I live have never been exactly special places you never saw. Neither are the gyms. The nearest gym to my house is at a taco truck. The nearest Poké Stop to my house is at a big incredibly visible church.
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
If all that mcdonalds advertising money is going to allow them to have the macho servers necessary for the game to be remotely playable in Japan then so be it.
I just hope it works on iphone4 in Japan cos I wanna play too and dont want to have to buy a new phone just for this Embarassed
kushiel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
After playing in a small city, I can see how great playing PoGo in Tokyo or Osaka would be! It's the kind of game that was made for cities like them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1