• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Affordable Animator Dorm Expansion Crowdfunding Closes Short of Goal

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The industry may have it's struggles but it still makes decent money going by the financials of outfits like Aniplex and Bandai Visual. The fact that it still can't or won't afford to pay it's animators a real 21st century first world country living wage and expects crowdfunders who are also fans to pay for that too on top of the already ridiculously high prices they pay for merchandise is sad, pathetic and disgusting.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I had forgotten about this campaign as soon as I checked out their backer page and wasn't too thrilled that if you wanted a sketch, you had to either pay a lot or have backed the last project. Unfortunately, such treatment when so many other anime/manga crowdfunding projects are going on during convention season, means that I'm going to just spend my money elsewhere (and I did on another KS).

As much as I'd like to be critical of the industry not paying its beginning animators a living wage, I also recall how my first job was out of school and how that didn't pay a living wage either. A lot of first jobs are like this, whether they pay minimum wage or are internships where you work for free in order to gain experience. It's rough, but most people who have gone through this period in their lives shrug as it's just a part of paying your dues.

I hope this doesn't discourage them from trying to raise funds next year. Maybe move the campaign to a different time of the year, like October, when the con season has died down? I know they're trying to promote their campaign at Animazement by attending, but that convention is right in the middle of convention season...
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Yes it's pretty standard that the first job out of school doesn't pay living wages, however the expectation (at least here in the US) is most starting jobs will allow time to have a 2nd job on the side to off-set living costs. Unfortunately for animators, it appears they work really long shifts and are unable to get that second job to pay for what they need to survive.

Of course, however, cost of living and everything will be different based on what country you live in and what part of said country.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
This really sucks. I wanted to fund them but they only accepted creditcards and I don't have one yet since I'm not 18 yet. The worst part is I will be within a month. I'll definetly help them out next year. I did look at their Japanese crowdfunding project though I think they did manage to raise the money I believe they even went over it.

But anyway it just really sucks if this project got more exposure it would make the money in no time. I heard of it through a small anime youtuber but if some of the bigger ones with 600k subs would talk about this it could get this project a lot of attention. Even if just a small portion of those people contributed it would help a lot.

Last edited by #859902 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
They should keep trying, animators need that housing badly because studios aren't helping unless they are P.A. Works, they make garbage anime but at least they have human decency that the others often don't.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I forgot about this. After getting burned on many kickstarters I've virtually signed off the concept, and forgot there was good stuff like this around.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Problem with this is it's about treating the symptoms and not the cause...

H. Guderian wrote:
I forgot about this. After getting burned on many kickstarters I've virtually signed off the concept, and forgot there was good stuff like this around.

What kinds of burns? Ridiculous delays a la visual novels? Broken promises and sub-par end products in the style of many game restarts/remakes/younameit? Torched campaigns with creators running off into the dark of the night with the funds? If any is anime/Japan-related, you have an audience here willing to listen. Smile

Crowdfunding, and specifically of all things otaku culture, is starting to have enough of a history by now that perhaps day will come we'll get to read a feature of all the highs and lows of it here on ANN...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
It's fortunate that the money that has been raised will go to dormitory expansion despite the crowdfunding campaign failing to a close. However, I have to wonder how long will they expect anime fans to keep donating to these campaigns before they eventually become fed up with them...
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
They should keep trying, animators need that housing badly because studios aren't helping unless they are P.A. Works, they make garbage anime but at least they have human decency that the others often don't.
P.A Works doesn't make garbage anime, that is more or less your opinion. Why do you even feel the need to mock them at one section and praise them in another?

Last edited by Afezeria on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Let this be a lesson to the under-20 entitled Millennials who want to work on anime in Japan. This is the pay you often get.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
So much of the business side of anime is just shit, but those pay scales are definitely the shittiest part by far. Hell, you make more as a greeter at Walmart.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
Animators in Japan are the most hard core Anime fans in the world to do that much work with so little pay and they sure as hell wouldn't do it if they weren't fans. Surprised
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
Dayum the Japanese animation industry needs a serious overhaul if you're working half to death and can't even afford to put a roof over your head.
By the way doesn't Kyoto animation pay their employees a living salary or am I mixing that up with someone else?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe, I think both KyoAni and Ghibli both do this. My weekly paychecks of are usually around $283.4, so I am making more a month than a lot of those animators.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1