• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brave Witches (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote

Brave Witches (TV)

Genres: Action, Ecchi, Magic, Military, Sci-Fi
Themes: Military

Plot Summary: In September 1944, allied forces led by the 501st Joint Fighter Wing "Strike Witches" successfully eliminate the Neuroi threat from the skies of the Republic of Gallia, thus ensuring the security of western Europe. Taking advantage of this victory, allied forces begin a full-fledged push toward central and eastern Europe. From a base in Petersburg in the Empire of Orussia, the 502nd Joint Fighter Wing "Brave Witches," upon whom mankind has placed its hopes, flies with courage in the cold skies of eastern Europe.
----------------------------------

Taking place in the same universe as Strike Witches! I'm looking forward to this as I find the franchise to be quite entertaining (including the movies). Preview also looks decent.

https://youtu.be/VLUqd-jEBuE

Last edited by Stark700 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was fun, we got introduction of the main characters and the Strike Witches of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing.

There's some fan service (hello baths) and I do expect pacing to pick up from here. Hikari is cute, I like her already and she is quite a determined girl to prove herself to others. The battle designs looks fine for this as well. Decent start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The endless struggle for sequel works is that they will inevitably be compared to the earlier incarnations and of course they will be compared to its genre peers of the time.

We already have a fair amount of magical girls shows this season, but suffice to say the comparison for Brave Witches will be aimed at Izetta for sharing the common theme of an "alternative WW2 era".

No doubt the SW faithful are going to stick it to the end for the latest incarnation, however when it comes to any other viewer this first episode was simply "ok" which is comparatively weak when you have the practically cinematic level of storytelling in ep 1 of Izetta.

Maybe in a couple episodes something amazing or overly hilarious will happen, but it is going to be hard when the magical girl warrior field is far from empty this season.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
-The Europeans are in desperate need of more witches. Its an absolute grave situation! So we'll exactly ONE volunteer! I'm not even gonna ask about combat skill, just exactly ONE volunteer for the part of the world being ravaged by enormous monsters.

-One of the two volunteers is highly skilled and knows the science behind her talent well enough to utilize it for her benefit. But, a friendly crashed into her from behind because she can barely maneuver at all. So, we'll take that one instead. She made it over that small body of water, you know?

Just two of my major complaints with this episode. But, really, its my fault. I didn't like Strike Witches. I don't know why I even tried watching Brave Witches...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Strike Witches has kind of been on my list of shows watch for some time, but I have always been too embarrassed (for some reason) to pick it up, so this is my starting line for this series. It is okay so far, although parts make me feel uncomfortable, which is weird because I must watch worse. And as FenixFiesta said, magical girls are pretty common this season.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Never watched Strike Witches, nor read the manga, but decided to give this one a go. The first episode was pretty good. I was somehow pleased to see Finland (or Suomus) on the map. And look! Kauhava and Helsinki are both marked! I've lived near Kauhava and now I live in Helsinki. Yay!

Maybe next week we'll get to see the other girls.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Ep 2, this was much more intriguing, we are introduced to our titled Brave Witches, Takami sadly was forced to use her "forbidden Witch limit break" which results in her being in a coma like state, Hikari passionately decides to take her older sisters place in the hopes of bringing peace to the world.

It comes out feeling a little cliché, yet it feels much better than the intro episode in regards to characterization.

For my personal viewing, I will likely come back after the run is completed as it doesn't give me that "must watch" feeling.
dlm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I am a huge fan of Strike Witches.

I can't watch this. I'm halfway through the third episode and have been for a while. It's just painful. They took my girls-at-war anime and turned it into a meaningless-technobabble mecha anime. This is not a genre that I like at all. The character interplay isn't as fun, either, it seems quite flat and predictable.

I suppose my first clue should have been that the pre-commercial "bump" is reminiscient of the ones from Heavy Object, which oddly enough I rather liked because of the political intrigue and minimized technobabble and mecha ass-pulls in favor of actual human interaction.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4
It's time for a training montage!

It is amusing concept that a spinoff features the concept of "being yourself", this goes in line with Hikari as well as Brave Witches as a show in of itself.

And of course, the set up where her family "forbidden witch technique" is brought up and surely by the end of the run even Hikari will likely be forced to use it.
dlm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Somewhat glad I decided to stick with it. Fortunately the midichlorian crap was only in the one episode.

It's refreshing to see what the "other" Witches are like. Not the best-of-the-best, not the new person is somehow the most powerful Witch ever seen. These are the also-rans and they only look good by dint of how much the new girl sucks. But they keep trying regardless.

And then in Episode 7, spoiler[Suprise Sanya!]. I was confused at first when someone was shooting from behind Nipa but it made sense when I heard one of them start to talk.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Okay, I kind of liked this, I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I did not lose my time. I think that is the most fitting thing to say about the series, it did not really do anything amazing, but it was not bad. Honestly the characters were not really that interesting, most of them really did not set in my memory much, but none of them were really that bad. There were even some okay arcs with some of the characters, the irresponsible womanizer especially sticks out in this way.

And Hikari’s arc was also good in how she went from really not belonging there with a subpar natural talent, to being able to use the talents she has with other members, and learn from them, that she could be a valuable member. The episode where she tries to prove herself to be able to take training by climbing the pole was especially Remembrall in the series, where facing failure to reach a goal was well portrayed. And I guess how each of the team members reacted to her struggle stood out more than what their own character was. I liked the last bit where they referred to themselves as the Break Witches, because they all pushed their equipment.

I am not sure yet if I will go watch the original series, but I don’t think that I am as afraid anymore.
dlm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
The original series was much better IMO, especially the second season's much better animation. Much better characterization, too, and much better character interplay and friction. There was nowhere near as much drama or tension in BW. You didn't see, say, the commander drawing her sidearm on her second-in-command, or another character driving herself mad trying to gather all the funds she can to help rebuild her homeland, for two examples that spring to mind right away.

I couldn't identify any BW character traits other than "Kanno is tediously angry at the world for no reason" or "Krupinski is kinda creepy". Of course you're going to have that when you try to make an entire series about the side characters that were never fully fleshed out. The 501st's characterization incorporated trivia regarding the real-life WWII aces they were named after, which made watching a lot more fun. (Kind of like watching KanColle, or all of the trivia peppered in Girls und Panzer)

Speaking of which, not much in the way of historical trivia or in-jokes, although I did like that they seem to have got the action of the Liberator right. And in SW the Neuroi were almost always designed to look like current aircraft or other "familiar" shapes, where in BW they were just... intricate designs?

Interestingly, SW season 1 ended with the introduction of a character who turned out to move the plot along to begin season 2. At the end of season 2 we saw characters in no/low-dialogue scenes who turned out to make an appearance in The Movie.

At the end of BW, there is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot of someone picking up striker units with a ground vehicle. That girl is Aurora Juutilainen, Eila's older sister and a "ground witch". Sequel bait?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1