• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BPO Publishes Complaints About Pokémon Go News Coverage

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Who's running the BPO? Lol. But I can see their argument here. News sources r saying "don't play games while walking it's dangerous" but then shows their journalists playing the game with their face in their phone and that can lead to many other people ignoring warning signs. Totally get it.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this company known for complaining or something? I remember hearing somewhere they publish a LOT of complaints.
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
You are supposed to play it while walking though...
cloud8100

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
As long as people look where they are going, walking is fine. It does contradict yourself when you say its dangerous when walking and show otherwise though lol.

In saying that, it's hard to take the news on tv seriously at all much anymore in my opinion. I mainly speak from the UK though. Have no idea what its like in Japan.

I may actually be able to get this game soon if all goes to plan... Very Happy
yappers4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
cloud8100 wrote:
As long as people look where they are going, walking is fine. It does contradict yourself when you say its dangerous when walking and show otherwise though lol.

In saying that, it's hard to take the news on tv seriously at all much anymore in my opinion. I mainly speak from the UK though. Have no idea what its like in Japan.

I may actually be able to get this game soon if all goes to plan... Very Happy

I live in the United States, and a majority of our news is very negative, or they always speak the negative side of things. It is becoming increasingly rare to hear good news in my country.
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The way the game is designed, no matter how many warnings are given, people are going to play it while walking. Children would do it even if adults set a flawless example.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Well...As long as people watch where they're going, Pokémon GO users should be safe. Unfortunately, incessantly plastering multiple disclaimers everywhere won't stop accidents from eventually occurring.
partially

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Isn't this company known for complaining or something? I remember hearing somewhere they publish a LOT of complaints.

BPO is a consumer watchdog. Its job IS to publish complaints. The complaints aren't from them either. They are just republishing complaints that are received from consumers. If they believe that there is a possibility of an issue arising from a complaint they will publish it, investigate it, and if they feel the need make recommendations to public and/or broadcaster/s involved. Most countries have a similar organisation.

It has no enforcement capabilities. It is simply there to raise public and business awareness of complaints made, so that people can decide whether it is appropriate or action should be taken. Its English site is here if you are interested:

http://www.bpo.gr.jp/?page_id=1092
Fabe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
So the BPO is the Japanese equivalent to the Better Business Bureau?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:

Judging from the info above, I would say yes.
mdreura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:

Not really. To be super specific about it, they're like the Administrative Law Division of the Federal Communications Commission in the United States. They oversee government regulation of Japanese television broadcasters to make sure everything is fair and transparent. There's very good information about what they do in very clear English at the link partially shared above. Check it out.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
And the Better Business Bureau is, as its name suggests, more about a business's reliability and trustworthiness than about content in media. The United States has a number of agencies and organizations for that in addition to the FCC, such as the ESRB for video games. (The ESRB is usually pretty good about dismissing frivolous complaints though, even if they're numerous.)

kiminobokuwa wrote:
Who's running the BPO? Lol. But I can see their argument here. News sources r saying "don't play games while walking it's dangerous" but then shows their journalists playing the game with their face in their phone and that can lead to many other people ignoring warning signs. Totally get it.

From what I get in this and past articles about the BPO on Anime News Network, the BPO is actually pretty objective. Rather, they are an agency that receives and processes complaints ordinary people have. So don't blame the BPO, blame the people who are so easily upset at Pokémon GO being everywhere.

That is to be expected with anything that suddenly and explosively gets mainstream popularity though.

yappers4 wrote:
I live in the United States, and a majority of our news is very negative, or they always speak the negative side of things. It is becoming increasingly rare to hear good news in my country.

Negative news bring ratings, and ratings are what dictates the content of TV news. That's why they'll interrupt, say, coverage of the purge in Turkey to show a police chase.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1