• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce Partnership to Share Content Via Streaming, Home Video, EST

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This is wow...I don't really see too much of a downside with this. Fans really win in thes scenario, maybe now people won't have to complain when one company picks up a series and not another.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
stop trying to distract us, where's Super
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Glad for more dubs, but apart from 91 Days nothing I want dubbed from the season is there (well Puzzle & Dragons Cross is already being dubbed), but a dub of and home release of Morose Mononokean would be nice.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I think "Testament" would be too extreme of a show to get a Funi dub. It makes DxD seem tame.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
This is wow...I don't really see too much of a downside with this. Fans really win in thes scenario, maybe now people won't have to complain when one company picks up a series and not another.

Unless this partnership means that Funi titles will be available in CR for Latin America (which I'm seriously seriously hoping will be the case), then yeah, you'll still hear complaints from people here in the south about it. And at least for now, they aren't.

If the above doesn't happen then this partnership means little to nothing for me, but it sounds like a great step forward for US viewers. It's nice to see companies teaming up for the consumer's benefit
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Well, the downside is that dubs are going to sound even more similar to one another. Though, I guess market consolidation is better for our wallets.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
So all of CR's licenses will be getting dubbed in Texas instead of spicing it up and going all over the place? Great.

This is what we call a monopoly and its absolute garbage.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
A win-win for both companies.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I think we should calm down and wait for more information about this all means but I have concerns if this means Funimation is trying to take over the rest of the anime industry and weed out the competition. This could be an interesting experiment but I can easily see it turn into a disaster. But I'll wait to hear more from ANNCast about these developments before I judge the situation.
boznia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like they were both concerned about Amazon and Netflix entering the market with their bottomless pits of money and decided to combine forces before their competitors gained a strong foothold.
Selipse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
HOLY SHIT THIS IS GR- The partnership is currently limited to the United States and Canada.

Oh, for fudge's sake.
marvel knight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
This is only good for viewers in USA, Canada and parts of UK.

No one else benefits from this because Funanimation doesn't play overseas for some stupid reason and now they're taking all of Crunchy's dubs with them, where's our legal option to support this?
addiemon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Unless this partnership means that Funi titles will be available in CR for Latin America (which I'm seriously seriously hoping will be the case), then yeah, you'll still hear complaints from people here in the south about it. And at least for now, they aren't.

Well, that can't happen for any title that funi doesn't have LATAM rights for in the first place. Might be doable for the titles they do have the rights for though.

marvel knight wrote:
No one else benefits from this because Funanimation doesn't play overseas for some stupid reason and now they're taking all of Crunchy's dubs with them, where's our legal option to support this?

I mean they're basically handing subs/simulcasts to Crunchyroll in NA, as they say on their blog ("For subtitled viewing, you’ll be able to go to Crunchyroll")...but that doesn't mean they're ready to cede every other territory yet, if they think they can play in them or get more money from local licensees.

Last edited by addiemon on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vannil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
i think this is going to be a win. but the real question is though: does that mean the japan based publishers like aniplex, ponycanyon etc.. going to be on board with this?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:25 pm Reply with quote
This is certainly some huge news. I'm surprised to see the two biggest competitors deciding to work together, but then again, the comment about companies like Amazon and the fragmenting market was exactly what I thought would be the motivation. Anime already relies on narrow margins to get by, and if you throw in new entrants who can afford to to potentially dominate licensing, it makes sense that sharing would be considered preferable to competing over a more crowded market.

Personally, CR's licenses over the last few seasons have made me give more consideration to subscribing, but the lack of broadcast dubs and not wanting to add another subscription, made me hold off. I can also see where they needed to clarify this isn't a merger because there appears to be a lot of overlap now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13