• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Makoto Shinkai's Latest Film Is Poised to Be 1st Non-Miyazaki Anime to Top 10 Billion Yen

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
It made almost 3 billion yen this week?
"and is now projected to possibly earn over 10 billion yen"
It'll happen by next weekend lol. This is gonna end up in like the top 5 best grossing movies in Japan, and then it's going worldwide too, gonna be interesting to see how it does.
Kaitonic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:53 am Reply with quote
WoW getting over 3 billions yen in week 3.I think more people is watching it and may be many are watching it a 2nd times or even more.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:22 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this will get an Oscar nomination.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
I have no doubt that it could receive an Oscar nomination--but in a year with 2 Disney animated features (Zootopia and the upcoming Moana) and a Pixar movie (Finding Dory), it probably doesn't stand a chance of winning. Disney and Pixar (which is also Disney!) are the Animated Feature Oscar Monopoly.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

Could it instead compete in the foreign film category?

I'm not sure what the rules are but if its eligible I feel it have a better chance winning there than in the Disney dominated animated films category.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
This one will become one of the best selling movies that is pretty much clear at this point even the LN was selling like 3weeks straight at 100k~
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:29 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

Could it instead compete in the foreign film category?

I'm not sure what the rules are but if its eligible I feel it have a better chance winning there than in the Disney dominated animated films category.

I'm not certain about the exact rules either, but I think it's possible. However, I think it would stand even less of a chance for a win when competing against the type of artistic films that tend to win the foreign film categories. Don't forget that it will have to deal voters who aren't always the most open minded when it comes to any animated film, let alone Japanese anime. With there already being a dedicated animation category, I can't see them voting for an animated film to win a second category as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:31 am Reply with quote
Will be curious if Sentai ends up with the license due to their longstanding deals with Comix Wave or if another company will strong arm their way to acquire the license.

EDIT: Wow, licensed even before the theatrical debut? Nice advanced scouting Funimation.

Last edited by Megiddo on Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Will be curious if Sentai ends up with the license due to their longstanding deals with Comix Wave or if another company will strong arm their way to acquire the license.

Funimation already licensed it back in July.
-------------

I cannot express how happy I am to see Shinkai doing this well. I've loved all his movies and always hoped he'd get this kind of success someday. They'll get that 10 Billion. I can't wait to see how high it will get before dying out.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Ditto for me too. I'm almost afraid for Shinkai-sensei that with this much success and more to come stateside that he'll change. Maybe be tempted to do a TV series? It seemed to me for a moment during your name that it was structured as a first episode at about the 1/3 mark and there were two lines of demarcation afterward, so I thought it might have started out a three-episode series that he thought better of not doing.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
This is great news. I saw Your Name. back at AX and it really deserves to do this well. I hope we don't have to wait too long for Funimation to release it.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Ditto for me too. I'm almost afraid for Shinkai-sensei that with this much success and more to come stateside that he'll change. Maybe be tempted to do a TV series? It seemed to me for a moment during your name that it was structured as a first episode at about the 1/3 mark and there were two lines of demarcation afterward, so I thought it might have started out a three-episode series that he thought better of not doing.

I doubt it. Someone asked him at AX if he'd ever do a TV series and he said he prefers movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
I just can't remember the last time there was an anime hit this big let alone one without any particular banked brand value. Still hoping this movie can be some sort of rallying turning point that wakes this industry up from it's rut somehow and inspires some people that they can do more than just what the current late night anime producers think can be done with animation.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I have no doubt that it could receive an Oscar nomination--but in a year with 2 Disney animated features (Zootopia and the upcoming Moana) and a Pixar movie (Finding Dory), it probably doesn't stand a chance of winning. Disney and Pixar (which is also Disney!) are the Animated Feature Oscar Monopoly.

Pixar is not Disney.

Is any GITS from Bandai Visual? By your logic, it is.
ivanchoFAA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away After 25 days
Revenue: 10 billon yen (83 Millon USD)*
*2001 - 1 USD = 119.88 Yens
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Makoto Shinkai's Your Name after After 24 days
Revenue: 9.1 billon yen (89 Millon USD)**
**2016 - 1 USD =101.81 Yens

Interesting Numbers O_O!

Sources
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2001-08-17/sen-to-chihiro-a-box-office-success
-------------
http://www.investing.com/currencies/usd-jpy-historical-data
endallchaos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

Since it's doing so well, it probably will... The problem is that it will lose to whatever film Disney puts out, simply because it's Disney. The voters should really be forced to watch these animated films, and not just vote for whatever movie seems the most popular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2