• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Sep 9-15

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what's up with Battery? The episode apparently did come out in Japan, but Amazon didn't sub it? Are they dropping the series or something?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
It is interesting to note the disparity between Sweetness and Lightning and Amanchu, given that they are both somewhat light-hearted affairs. On an utter whim, I suggest that the demographic-spanning appeal of the former's synopsis has been a boon to its rankings, something its pleasant but often anodyne writing wouldn't entail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
S&L also has the "pro" of actually delivering on what it promised: family and cooking. Whereas Amanchu promised friendship (GL undertones?) and diving and has only delivered in one of the two aspects. I enjoy both shows and both have shortcomings (S&L is terribly formulaic), but I grow more and more disappointed with every week that goes by without any semblance of diving taking place
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Does anyone know what's up with Battery? The episode apparently did come out in Japan, but Amazon didn't sub it? Are they dropping the series or something?

I could watch it just fine with subs. Perhaps it's a regional problem (which would be odd, but well...)?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
^Oh, it was never gonna be available in my region, I just heard they'd taken longer than usual subbing it and since the review hadn't come out and the rips haven't gotten the episode yet I assumed they hadn't uploaded it yet
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It is interesting to note the disparity between Sweetness and Lightning and Amanchu, given that they are both somewhat light-hearted affairs. On an utter whim, I suggest that the demographic-spanning appeal of the former's synopsis has been a boon to its rankings, something its pleasant but often anodyne writing wouldn't entail.

I guess there both healing show where not much happens, but amanchu feel unbearably slow whereas S/L feel like its moving at a reasonable pace, if a bit repetitive.
+ 光

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me going senile, or has this season been more inconsistent than last season? I can't remember seeing such dramatic drops and rises the previous season...?
Dop.L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Presumably someone at Amazon made a mistake, on Thursday the show was up on their service, but without subs. By Friday the mistake had been corrected and the subs were up then.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
+ 光 wrote:
Is it just me going senile, or has this season been more inconsistent than last season? I can't remember seeing such dramatic drops and rises the previous season...?

As I have said many a time in the threads for previous weeks, if you look at the raw numbers in addition to the rankings, the drops look much less dramatic and are more a function of the competitiveness of the top 2/3rds or so.

And if the subs are on the tenth episode of Battery I may need to contact tech support because I didn't see them this morning unless they stopped routing them through the closed captioning and just hard coded them.

Edit: just checked the phone app and it does have subs. I'll have to wait till I get home to check the roku app/watch it though

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
+ 光 wrote:

As I have said many a time in the threads for previous weeks, if you look at the raw numbers in addition to the rankings, the drops look much less dramatic and are more a function of the competitiveness of the top 2/3rds or so.

Yep. For instance, both of the two weeks that Re: Zero wasn't on top in the week-by-week, it still had the 4.6 rating (which has been its average for the season). Ratings were so tight that mere shift of .3 or .4 on the episode rating (IOW, less than 10% overall) could move a title up or down a dozen or more places in the rankings. The cumulative rankings have been much more stable, with little movement in the Top 5 beyond Mob Psycho 100's climb to third around the midway point.

And I'm quite happy to Alderamin on the Sky climbing the ranks in big chunks. Won't be surprised if it continues to make an upward push with its final couple of episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, does it have any impact if people go back and rate episodes from previous weeks? I fell behind on a lot of shows this season, somewhat intentionally, and went through and rated a lot of episodes from prior weeks, as well as the latest episode. Does that have any effect on the rankings, or are they locked into place after each week?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
@ relyat08: I asked that several weeks ago, but never got an answer. I'm still curious about that as well.

Key wrote:
The cumulative rankings have been much more stable, with little movement in the Top 5 beyond Mob Psycho 100's climb to third around the midway point.

And I'm quite happy to Alderamin on the Sky climbing the ranks in big chunks. Won't be surprised if it continues to make an upward push with its final couple of episodes.

It's got its work cut out for it if it wants to beat planetarian, which has been steadily inching its way to the top by doing nothing. Laughing At the rate it's going it's going to end up in third place. It's already ranked higher than at any time during its actual run. Very Happy

On that note, this week my I-don't-understand-this! wail goes to planetarian's 2-position rise in the cumulatives, when none of the top 11 series showed any movement at all from last week. All 11 series, including planetarian, are flat-line from last week's chart to this.
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And if the subs are on the tenth episode of Battery I may need to contact tech support because I didn't see them this morning unless they stopped routing them through the closed captioning and just hard coded them

I was finally able to view the subs today.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
The thing with Planetarian is it ended on a very good note so I believe that good rating is repeated for the null weeks which sort of overstates how consistently well the show executed. Its absence might also be making the preferences weird or at least outdated. I don't expect this to be a problem going forward so there isn't a huge need to fix any problems it may or may not be causing.

And I believe the anti spam fix discounts later votes as that was when the spammer(s) where attacking in the winter. I may be wrong and the author could clarify unless it is necessary to keep it confidential to prevent them figuring out how it works to get around it.
+ 光

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Yep. For instance, both of the two weeks that Re: Zero wasn't on top in the week-by-week, it still had the 4.6 rating (which has been its average for the season). Ratings were so tight that mere shift of .3 or .4 on the episode rating (IOW, less than 10% overall) could move a title up or down a dozen or more places in the rankings. The cumulative rankings have been much more stable, with little movement in the Top 5 beyond Mob Psycho 100's climb to third around the midway point.

So a 0.something truly tells the difference between one anime and another? Ah~ah I truly have a love-hate relationship with ranking systems~♪

Still, a lot more zigg-zagging in the weekly rankings this time than last season. If that just means the anime are closer to each other in quality, and not actually inconsistent, fine. I'm not watching everything so I can't say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2