• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Shinkai's 'your name.' Film Theatrically Before End of 2016

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I will say it again. It better receive a nomination or we riot. I haven't even seen the movie yet but from all the hype it has and the money it made it has to be amazing!! Time to preorder.
Dextres

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:50 pm Reply with quote
^Ditto

Guess it going a while before I can see this movie on youtube.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
They've got a lot of competition this year. Zootopia, Finding Dory, Moana, Kubo & the Two Strings, Sing, Secret Life of Pets, even Miss Hokusai. No way it could win, but I'd at least like to see it get nominated.
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
I will say it again. It better receive a nomination or we riot. I haven't even seen the movie yet but from all the hype it has and the money it made it has to be amazing!! Time to preorder.

The money it made is only on the japanese side. And with how rigged the oscars are requiring people to invest money or gifts to the nominators is a very big investment. A theatrical release isnt enough. But this does make me suspect that the Universal staff under Funimation is pulling the strings on this with a probable campaign to spend money in the oscars this year. But if not even Hosoda or DBZRF couldn't get any nominations or awards, then this prolly wont either. But if they do invest money on this and it still flops. Then I won't be surprised given the synopsis and content for this is far fetched even for shinkai with him probably taking to much ideas from Hosoda that makes Children who chase lost voices look unique in comparison.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Going to theater's is one thing but it getting put into theater's anywhere near me is a different story. If it does get put into a theater in one of the nearby towns I'll totally check it out if I get the chance.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
They've got a lot of competition this year. Zootopia, Finding Dory, Moana, Kubo & the Two Strings, Sing, Secret Life of Pets, even Miss Hokusai. No way it could win, but I'd at least like to see it get nominated.

Several of those had pretty bleh reviews. I'd be suprised if they even got nominated.

0----------------------------------------0

Quote:
Entertainment news magazine Variety reported on Wednesday that Funimation is expected to release Makoto Shinkai's your name. (Kimi no Na wa.) anime film theatrically before the end of the year, and before releasing the film in digital.

What does this mean? Most theaters are digital now so I don't understand what the difference is? Do you mean retail release? If so, is it going to be released digitally before DVD/Bluray?

Lastly, I expect this to only be an L.A. thing specifically for the reason of being considered. Or at least extremely limited. And that's okay with me. Funimation never airs movies in my area so I'd rather they hurry up with the blurays and release it ASAP instead of dragging it out for months on end like Funi did with the Evangelion 3.3
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing it will get nominated, since Miyazaki's retired (again) and the last Ghibli movie was two years ago; that leaves a slot open for "whatever's popular in East Asia right now," and it's certainly popular. They also premiered it in LA way ahead of the theatrical release in its own country, which was probably partly a ploy to get Hollywood's attention.

It won't win, though, because the winner-choosing process for best animated film goes: Did Disney/Pixar make anything good this year? If so, pick one of those -> Otherwise, whatever Dreamworks made I guess -> If there were no acceptable American animated movies this year... panic (which was how Spirited Away got it that one time). We've been bombarded with Disney movies this year and it doesn't seem like any of them sucked, so one of those will win. Honestly, they don't have much choice; if some Japanese thing won over a big crop of Disney movies, there'd be riots in the streets (or, well, more of them).

More importantly, I hope Funimation does more than just an LA release. That's something I'm much more willing to bet will happen.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Several of those had pretty bleh reviews. I'd be suprised if they even got nominated.

0----------------------------------------0

Bleh reviews?

Zootopia - 98%
Finding Dory - 94%
Kubo and the Two Strings - 97%
Secret Life of Pets - 75%
Miss Hokusai - 97%

Moana and Sing haven't released yet.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
It'll be nominated just to keep recognizing anime, but it won't stand a chance against the family-friendly box office titans.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I kind of feel like there should be two animated categories, a kid category for the Disney and Pixar fare, and more general category that recognizes great films that happen to use animation as a medium but don't have that family/kid stigma.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I kind of feel like there should be two animated categories, a kid category for the Disney and Pixar fare, and more general category that recognizes great films that happen to use animation as a medium but don't have that family/kid stigma.

... This is a joke... right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope that Your Name does well in US theaters but the Oscars oh boy do they have a lot of competition and with the Oscars being as rigged as they are it'll take a miracle just for Your Name to even get nominated. Shocked
animemaster1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Why do you think he's joking? I happen to agree with him.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
The Academy Award for Best Animated Feature generally has 2 (sometimes 3) big American animation studio (Disney, Dreamworks, and/or Pixar) films nominated per year, usually at least 1 stop-motion animated film, often at least 1 European/or Internationally animated film, and then the 5th film (the Oscars have chosen 5 nominations for the past five years) is usually either an anime film (i.e. Studio Ghibli) or a medium sized American animation studio.

So I'm guessing we'll likely see 2 films nominated from Zootopia, Finding Dory, and Moana, Kubo and the Two Strings for the stop-motion nod (and critic darling), perhaps The Red Turtle for the European/International animated film (since it also has the Studio Ghibli association as well), and maybe Miss Hokusai or Your Name could be the fifth category if it doesn't go to a medium sized American animation studio film.

Last edited by Theozilla on Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Theozilla

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
animemaster1 wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

Why do you think he's joking? I happen to agree with him.

A way that could be accomplished without the Academy having to explicitly admit that Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks always dominate the category, would be to create an Academy Award for Best Animated Foreign Language Film category to go with the live-action one. The Annie Awards did something similar in their most recent awards with their new category of Best Animated Feature — Independent in addition to the regular Best Animated Feature category.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3