• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: The Cast of Sailor Moon R: The Movie

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to more of the Viz crew's amazing dub work on Sailor Moon. Keep on going guys, you've always got my support. :D
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
R is the "most beloved" of the movies? While I don't hear about people disliking it as much as SuperS, I've never heard of someone preferring R over S, which I've never heard someone say anything bad about.
Nodz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
R is the "most beloved" of the movies? While I don't hear about people disliking it as much as SuperS, I've never heard of someone preferring R over S, which I've never heard someone say anything bad about.

Wait for the S movie to be released, and you'll get the same "most beloved" comment.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Are you thinking about the movies in particular or the series? As far as the movies go, I've always felt like the R movie was thought of much more highly than the other two.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
In my experience over the last 20 years or so Sailor Moon R was always the Sailor Moon movie people pushed on you, tried to get you to watch - it's usually held up as evidence of the series' deeper themes and drama. Your experience may be different.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to hearing how the Studiopolis cast handles this movie. Stephanie Sheh is an excellent Usagi.

Zac wrote:
In my experience over the last 20 years or so Sailor Moon R was always the Sailor Moon movie people pushed on you, tried to get you to watch - it's usually held up as evidence of the series' deeper themes and drama. Your experience may be different.

Probably because it's the Ikuhara one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
My personal opinion is the The R movie and the S season are the best of the franchise. I think that's a pretty popular stance from most fans. Everyone has a different opinion though.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Nice interview. All of the actors are very likable (especially Ben), and I always love hearing what Charlene has to say.

Can't wait to hear Viz's dub of the movie. I'm also looking forward to their redub of the S movie, where Luna's human form will sound age appropriate for once. Laughing

Dessa wrote:

I'm surprised. I've been on numerous fan sites, and the R movie has always been the most popular one. The S movie is also popular, but not quite to R's level. I tend to hear more criticism of it to boot. (about Moon's corny beauty of the earth speech, it not being as good as the manga version, all the issues with the Pioneer dub, etc.)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Seriously: NEVER HEARD anyone say anything bad about the S Movie? Shocked
(Or did you just get it confused with the S series?)
There's a difference between never hearing it and and no one saying it.

For the SuperS Movie to be off-topic, by-the-numbers, bizarrely over-stylized and Chibi-centric, we sort of expected from the show, now that Ikuhara was ruling the roost. (And all the Outer fans just watch it for the "She said it, she said it, they're doing it!" moment, and let the rest of the movie go hang.)
But the S Movie was just willfully and aggressively forgettable--A "filler" off-topic side story dealing entirely with Luna, a MOTW villain who just appears sporadically with no particular motive or plan and doesn't even show up long enough for a name or personality, and no remote connection to anything that happens in the series, let alone the S series. In its day, manga side-stories like this used to be the stuff OAV episodes were made of.

R Movie, OTOH, I would put high on the list of Ten Greatest Anime TV-Series Features--maybe well below Beautiful Dreamer or Macross:DYRL, but certainly in the ballpark of the GE999 Movie or Ranma 1/2: Big Trouble--in the category of "Captures the true spirit and essence of an iconic series in 90 minutes for someone who's never watched the show in their lives."
If you have someone who grew up in the 90's who still laughs at the dubbed show as freak afternoon decade pop-kitsch, and doesn't know why fans have such affection for Usagi and the Senshi, let them watch all the way to the "You'll never know what it's like to be alone!" flashback ending and see if they don't turn into big softies toward Usagi's friends. Even in the English dub, the big power-up "We'll fight together to the soundtrack song" climax comes off as more of the characters' strength of friendship than just a cheesy action-cartoon moment one might laugh at the afternoon show for doing.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So I'm really looking forward to Super S. It's a 90s anime, very different from the manga. But I believe the uncut dub, fresh takes on the characters – they're going to add a lot to Super S.

Good luck with that, I'm personally waiting for a Crystal season 4 announcement and for that to blow SuperS away.

Speaking of Crystal, season 2 set & 3 dub when?
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Good luck with that, I'm personally waiting for a Crystal season 4 announcement and for that to blow SuperS away.

Let's not get our hopes up too much on that too much. Two horrible seasons of Crystal and a decent but not great one is not a good track record. Fingers crossed though!
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
R's movie is actually my least favorite of the movies, and probably the whole animated series. The climactic "Moon Revenge" battle is excellent, but the whole plot always felt too cheesy to me -even by Sailor Moon standards. The chance encounter as children in particular has always bothered me with its extreme narrative convenience, but I'll still be buying it when it comes out.

I'm the weird one that likes the SuperS movie best. Really looking forward to that one getting redubbed with the actual lines that have the plot make sense. I'm still confused about those "3 o'clock Mondays."
kasumicc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Eh, most beloved movie... There's no lie in that; it's the most popular one in Sailor Moon fan circles. My personal favorite, too. S movie has the plus of being based on an actual manga story, and probably the best plot of all the 3 movies. But in the end it's just a correct movie; nothing to criticize but nothing to go crazy about either (except the whole Luna-Kakeru affair, naturally; best thing about the movie). In the context of the anime series, it's pretty much a standalone story with no connection to the rest of the material, very much like the SuperS movie (it's a different story if we're talking about the manga though)

R has a weaker plot, but also some nice tie ins with elements of the first season, and it definitely goes pretty deep in terms of characterization and drama, or at least about as much as an end-of-season. Cheesy? Definitely. But those of us who love cheesyness, the R movie is among the best the franchise can offer.
And yeah, it's the Ikuhara movie. It's worth a watch for that alone.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
I'm the weird one that likes the SuperS movie best. Really looking forward to that one getting redubbed with the actual lines that have the plot make sense. I'm still confused about those "3 o'clock Mondays."

Cloverway didn't like the Japanese convention that Japanese housewives were devoted kitchen-moms who would have treats ready for their kids after school at 3:00...Hence there was no need for "the 3:00 Fairy" to remind them.
I'm sure Viz is much more interested in accuracy than in social empowerment.

Quote:
Interview:
And I love Sandy Fox as Chibi-Usa. She's so good – she nails it. She has that spunk without taking it too far – comes from a place of purity.

(Having just gotten through the Viz R-Series, don't know if it's already been mentioned, but:
I had to hand it to the VA, that when Chibi-Usa becomes Black Lady, Fox doesn't just play A Villainess, she actually sounds like a bratty Chibi-Usa Grown Up Into an Evil Mature Villainess. You just have to hear her delivery to see what I mean. Very Happy )
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
The Sailor Moon R movie isn't some legendary masterpiece of anime cinema, but it's pretty damn good for a movie tie-in to an anime series. It has some nice visuals and a simple, but powerful story. It's also a great introduction to the series, especially with the short. To me, the movies get slightly worse as they go along. The S movie has some things to like about it, but I never really enjoyed the SuperS film (or season) at all.

All three had terrible dubs though, so I'm looking forward to finally hearing them with decent voice acting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2