• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Over Half of New Animators Report Getting Financial Support From Family

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Yes, surprisingly living costs money, one job doesn't always put food on the table. Sad
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Bummer. Interesting to see the gender breakdown here, in particular. I wonder if that's a sign of just a lot more women getting into the anime industry compared to men these days, an issue with the sample size, or if there is a different avenue that many men are taking to get into the industry. If this is just a flat out fair representation of who is entering the industry, it won't be long before we have a very even gender distribution, that's for sure.
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Sh#t thats kinda sad, i get that people have dreams but i would have took how much money i would possibly make into account before i got into this industry Sad
PRican97

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Bummer. Interesting to see the gender breakdown here, in particular. I wonder if that's a sign of just a lot more women getting into the anime industry compared to men these days, an issue with the sample size, or if there is a different avenue that many men are taking to get into the industry. If this is just a flat out fair representation of who is entering the industry, it won't be long before we have a very even gender distribution, that's for sure.

Doest it really matter how many men and women work at a job? Does it?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
PRican97 wrote:

Gender disparities have causes, and they have effects. Both matter.
PRican97

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
PRican97 wrote:

Gender disparities have causes, and they have effects. Both matter.

So youre saying that the industry is sexist? Even though there are a lot of women mangaka and such? A lot of shoujo anime. And more.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It's almost certainly non-response bias. I wouldn't take it to be an accurate census, but it probably does portray a semi-accurate "lay of the land" well enough.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
PRican97 wrote:

So youre saying that the industry is sexist? Even though there are a lot of women mangaka and such? A lot of shoujo anime. And more.

Uh, yeah, actually. The anime industry can be pretty freaking sexist. It's much better than it used to be, and getting better all the time, but women working in anime, especially in positions of power like Director, were extremely rare for decades.
Manga is a completely different beast, for example you'll see lots of women writing books, but directing movies is still predominantly done by men.
PRican97

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
PRican97 wrote:

Uh, yeah, actually. The anime industry can be pretty freaking sexist. It's much better than it used to be, and getting better all the time, but women working in anime, especially in positions of power like Director, were extremely rare for decades.
Manga is a completely different beast, like you'll see lots of women writing books, but directing movies is still predominantly done by men.

Idk bout the past but are you implying that an industry is sexist for not having as many women as men working? So I could say that teaching is sexist cause you mostly see female teachers. I can also say that the NBA is racist for having way more blacks that whites especially if you compare it to our population.
If you are good at what you do, you'll succeed. It's not because of your gender. You can point to the past but in the present everyone is equal no matter what.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Title should be
Over Half of New Animators have supportive families Family
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Still probably a better deal than aspiring artists here taking out loans for an MFA or other graduate studies in the arts or humanities. I kind of view this like graduate student stipends.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
PRican97 wrote:

Manga is a completely different beast, for example you'll see lots of women writing books, but directing movies is still predominantly done by men.

It's not so much the industry is sexist as rather that the entire culture all in to itself in Japan is quite sexist. I'd say living in Japan today, women's right/equality is where the US was about forty, forty-five years ago.
rtil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
low wages in the animation industry has long been a problem. they deserve a livable wage for their skills and hard work.
PRican97

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
It's not so much the industry is sexist as rather that the entire culture all in to itself in Japan is quite sexist. I'd say living in Japan today, women's right/equality is where the US was about forty, forty-five years ago.

Tell me how Japan is sexist. Please do.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
^you will probably regret asking that. There are tons of resources on this topic.

Wow, didn't expect to start something like this. I was literally just noting the statistics shown.
I don't think there needs to be a perfect ratio of men to women in any particular job, there are obviously things that different genders excel at, or more importantly find interest in and want to do, but for a long time, and even today, I don't think it's as it should be, in terms of the opportunities available to either gender in many fields. It's clearly getting rapidly better though, and that's why I am very curious about the gender breakdown for this study. Polycell is more than likely right, but it's still interesting to see such a massive disparity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4