• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Aquarion Logos Part 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Aw man, thanks for reminding me that I've got all of those Shana discs coming in the mail this week! Laughing Gotta set aside some time to rewatch that whole series...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
I'm of two minds regarding Aquarion Logos opting to not use the reincarnation aspects of the previous series. On the one hand, I found this interesting, especially when applied to Evol. On the other hand, they probably went as far as they could with that concept without either becoming a making a convoluted mess, or simply rehashing the exact same themes.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Aquarian Logos is rough, not just because of the stated reasons but because we have to believe the language based club was formed to fight a language based villain; a classic chicken and egg situation unless the villain purposely waited until that woman found enough people to form a crew and support system... oh and that the club have access to a giant robot powered by their ability to speechify and that only exists in language space... oh and aliens are involved at some point, somehow?... oh and the monsters which are kanji based, act like Sentai monster support villains but talk like pokemon and they attack their core words... definitions? Usage?

In short, there's so much "and this happens but if they do that, then that happens but only if they do it over there" going on that it gets in the way of "giant robot fights giant monster", an idea so simple that I never believed someone could muck it up.

Even just looking at the start of Logos versus other Aquarion, you have to ask "why not just keep it robot to robot?" but once you start asking Logos questions, you really won't stop. It's entertaining... Haberkorn is great in the dub... but it's really, really dumb.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree with the sentiment about Aquarion Logos. While Evol was dumb, it was still quite enjoyable in a guilty pleasure kind of way for me and it also had really good music to match the quirky, blood-thumping action scenes. (Really loved the collaboration between Yoko Kanno and AKINO). Logos on the other hand just falls flat in every conceivable way for me.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Of the three Aquarion series, Logos is definitely the weakest. We do get more of Maia's backstory, but I'm not sure the second half will be any better for you, James.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I watched Logos recently (having never watched Aquarion and only like one episode of EVOL). I enjoyed it, but it's just silly trash. There's a lot of plot holes and as the story goes on the villains get confusing and keep jumping sides (but they make a joke about that). When it tries to get serious later it doesn't really work because it's pretty generic. But it was fun. I actually liked Akira a lot, his constant savior remarks were pretty amusing. I also liked how he seemed different to a lot of protags in that he's not exactly likeable personality wise, because he's rude and impulsive and never ever listens. But his confidence was fun, and his relationship with Maia is pretty cute because they're both so naive.
It's a dumb show with lots of problems and I only really like Akira and Maia as characters, but it was a fun mindless ride.
frubam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
Funny that the original Aquarion is still spades better than its predecessors. Logos was simply horrendous =01. I got to ep 18 before calling it quits. None of the characters are compelling or garner your sympathy... just all-around annoying quirks on boring characters(not once did I find the comedian's jokes to be funny =02).
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
frubam wrote:
Funny that the original Aquarion is still spades better than its predecessors. Logos was simply horrendous =01. I got to ep 18 before calling it quits. None of the characters are compelling or garner your sympathy... just all-around annoying quirks on boring characters(not once did I find the comedian's jokes to be funny =02).

Eh. Early Genesis was just as bad. Everybody outside of Jun, Tsugumi and Pierre were unlikable. Fudo too, although thanks to Evol he was probably the worst.

I've heard the comparision before but it seems to be getting ground.; Logos is the KR Kabuto of Aquarion. You either like Akira and his saviour antics which contribute a boatload to the show and the rest of the cast or you don't. There is no in-between.

Personally found Logos to be an improvement over Evol because it shed the overly complex Reincarnation stuff. Soft reboot essentially. After Evol's ending, the only direction was up anyway.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
What really disappointed me about Aquarion Logos were the ugly character designs and mediocre production values, especially compared to Evol. Kawamori's lack of involvement (he came up with the Logos concept, and that was it) was quite evident.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Personally found Logos to be an improvement over Evol because it shed the overly complex Reincarnation stuff.

It still has reincarnation stuff, but (I'm assuming here) it mustn't be as big a deal as in the other shows.

In other news, I forgot to mention my favorite line from Logos: What's wrong with a threesome?
frubam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
frubam wrote:

Eh. Early Genesis was just as bad. Everybody outside of Jun, Tsugumi and Pierre were unlikable. Fudo too, although thanks to Evol he was probably the worst.

I've heard the comparision before but it seems to be getting ground.; Logos is the KR Kabuto of Aquarion. You either like Akira and his saviour antics which contribute a boatload to the show and the rest of the cast or you don't. There is no in-between.

Personally found Logos to be an improvement over Evol because it shed the overly complex Reincarnation stuff. Soft reboot essentially. After Evol's ending, the only direction was up anyway.

I disagree. While Silvia might have been a tad bit unlikable at points(especially when it came to Apollo), it was still a slow intertwine with her coming to terms and slowly liking Apollo, as well as the general synergy with the rest of the cast. Fudou was simply amazingly unintentionally funny and cool. In Logos, Kabuto's "savior" shtick was a hit-or-miss(mostly miss), and it certainly didn't help that it was the ONLY thing really going for him. While the rest of the cast wasn't unlikable to any degree, they unfortunately were immensely boring =01. It felt like they had no synergy with each other, or that they couldn't really play off one another very well. His connection to Maia, in a general sense, was pretty weak for the most part too.

Will agree about Evol's ending though =03(not even considering the pairing aspect =0\).
HdE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I don't bump a thread this old on a web forum lightly, but I wanted to share something I'm not seeing brought up anywhere regarding the Discotek Gun Frontier DVD set.

There are several quite noticeable video glitches on disc 1. These occur on episodes 4 and 5. The worst is on episode 5 'the song of bow legs,' where, for just a moment, the screen image becomes blocky. In episode 4, there are a couple of instances where the image briefly loses resolution.

I've actually returned my original copy of the DVD set to the Amazon marketplace seller I bought it from, and sourced another. The fault has been present on both, unfortunately.

I'm curious if anybody who owns the old Media Blasters release has noticed similar issues on that. Or if anybody with the Discotek release has spotted the same problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1